Help with travel confusion.

Adbro1

Apologies in advance in I've posted this in the wrong sub forum. 

I'm getting information from a friend which is causing me concern regarding my stay in Thailand and return to UK. 

He is telling me when i attempt to fly back to England I will have to provide and doctors note from Thailand saying I am corona free and have left quarantined for the 14 days prior to flying.this is to be given to Thai authorities at BKK airport

He's suggesting I will not be allowed out of the country if this i don't provide the doctors note. 

This is news to me and why would Thais want to KEEP you in Thailand if you have Covid19? 

Also he suggests if you fail a temperature check in Doha Airport you have to go into 14 days quarantine at you own cost.

Oce again, this sounds an unlikely scenario to me. 

Thanks. 

Were supposed to be flying back to the UK next week, neither of these measures sound very helpful We see the risk points for exposure to the virus as going to check-in at BKK, and the transit through Doha...

If someone has some more info, it would be useful. We don't want to get held up in a queue anywhere!

Sorry, I have the exact opposite situation as you. My Thai Visa date is up and i’ve used the maximum extension.But, I do not want to leave Thailand due to fear of catching the corona virus on the plane.

Sounds like all you need to do is self quarantine for 14 days after you return to England.

I don’t think the Thai’s are allowed to stop you from leaving, otherwise it would work in my favor (it hasn’t) 

It does sound unlikely you need a doctors note saying you have self isolated for 14 days previous to leaving. 

Then what will they do if you have no doctors nore, keep you in Thailand? 

I don't understand what can be gained from that. 

Surely they just want you out of the country asap? 

I do understand it was suggested that new arrivals from some countries may have to quarantine themselves for 14 days on arrival. 

Not sure if that has been implemented but the UK wasn't one of the countries listed and its also a different process to doctors note 'before' leaving. 

That 14 day isolation in the UK is what we have planned for, symptoms or not we will not visit family for 14 days, and as far as practical stay in and around the house or walk outside avoiding close contact with anyone!   Let's hope the online shopping will remain effective.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, UKresonant said:

Qatar are still saying transit though Doha is ok, just can't enter Qatar....

https://www.qatarairways.com/en/travel-alerts/COVID-19-update.html

I have a friend who is supposed to be travelling on 18 March to Doha and then transiting to Oslo, but there is a lot of confusion for this poor old guy because he cannot seem to locate his ticket on the booking reference link (so perhaps it's been cancelled?) And he can't get hold of anyone in Qatar Airways to get any information – – phone lines constantly busy and no replies via the Internet.

And then there's this point about the airport being shut, however allowing Qatari people and transits in?

I wonder how that works with an aeroplane full of people with some being Qataris and many of other nationalities, plus some transit folk – – – do they separate them and then send those that don't qualify, back, somehow?

I feel sorry for the poor guy and I've been trying to get some information for him, but to no avail.

• Sad 1

40 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I have a friend who is supposed to be travelling on 18 March to Doha and then transiting to Oslo, but there is a lot of confusion for this poor old guy because he cannot seem to locate his ticket on the booking reference link (so perhaps it's been cancelled?) And he can't get hold of anyone in Qatar Airways to get any information – – phone lines constantly busy and no replies via the Internet.

Ask your friend to sent the actual booking reference to you and the exact name which he used to book the ticket.  Then use that booking reference to access his flight details on the Qatar Airways website.

44 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Ask your friend to sent the actual booking reference to you and the exact name which he used to book the ticket.  Then use that booking reference to access his flight details on the Qatar Airways website.

Thanks Peter........have done that and his details are nowhere to be found on their website?? Cancelled perhaps?

1 minute ago, xylophone said:

Thanks Peter........have done that and his details are nowhere to be found on their website?? Cancelled perhaps?

Wow, so his booking reference results in a 'data not found' message?

You could check with him if the information he received also had other identification-data.

Some airlines use two reference numbers > one referring to the confirmation and one referring to the actual booking.

If he or yourself cannot find it out and the line is busy all the time, I would recommend going to a travel agent (or calling one) and ask him to find out what is the situation.

Also it should be easy to check whether the FLIGHT he booked has been cancelled.  For that you do not need the booking reference, but just the flight ID-number and departure time.

23 hours ago, Badgerbun said:

Sorry, I have the exact opposite situation as you. My Thai Visa date is up and i’ve used the maximum extension.But, I do not want to leave Thailand due to fear of catching the corona virus on the plane.

Sounds like all you need to do is self quarantine for 14 days after you return to England.

I don’t think the Thai’s are allowed to stop you from leaving, otherwise it would work in my favor (it hasn’t) 

Even if you were required to stay they would nail you for overstay.  

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, Adbro1 said:

It does sound unlikely you need a doctors note saying you have self isolated for 14 days previous to leaving. 

Then what will they do if you have no doctors nore, keep you in Thailand? 

I don't understand what can be gained from that. 

Surely they just want you out of the country asap? 

I do understand it was suggested that new arrivals from some countries may have to quarantine themselves for 14 days on arrival. 

Not sure if that has been implemented but the UK wasn't one of the countries listed and its also a different process to doctors note 'before' leaving. 

When going back home there's no problem even in transit at airports. No certificates needed. What happens when you are back home,that's another question.

• Thanks 1

I would suggest step 1 go & talk to his airline & his embassy or Consulate if he is a genuine case of WANTING to get home. 

If he wants a visa extension becaause he cannot travel the Immigration here will be helpful.

If he is out of monies then he needs to get someone from home to send him some emergency funds until he can get home

On 3/17/2020 at 6:37 AM, xylophone said:

And then there's this point about the airport being shut, however allowing Qatari people and transits in?

I wonder how that works with an aeroplane full of people with some being Qataris and many of other nationalities, plus some transit folk – – – do they separate them and then send those that don't qualify, back, somehow?

I feel sorry for the poor guy and I've been trying to get some information for him, but to no avail.

Ring their Bangkok office in Exchange Tower . They are helpful. If all fails, just ring one of their town offices in a city anywhere in the world. Their call center is overloaded. You may have to get up early depending on time zone.

On 3/17/2020 at 5:37 AM, xylophone said:

Ask him if it was booked through a travel agent (on or off-line, doesn't matter) or direct with the airline.  That's another reason for having two PNRs - the agent's one and the airline's one.

1 hour ago, treetops said:

Ask him if it was booked through a travel agent (on or off-line, doesn't matter) or direct with the airline.  That's another reason for having two PNRs - the agent's one and the airline's one.

All done now after much mucking around and NO CONTACT possible, so he went to the airport and they couldn't find his booking (thru a TA) so re-booked him on another flight, only for them to do it on a flight that had taken off!! 

Anyway he has left Phuket airport on the second try and third booking, with two airport trips to boot......thanks for any suggestions.

• Thanks 1