Worried about being shut out of Thailand

Long story short, passport and 1 year ED visa was robbed while I'm in Africa.

School says it will take them 6 weeks to apply again, after I receive my new passport which is hopefully today. Its over 2 weeks now to get it, and 2 weeks ago, I wasn't too worried. 

Now all these countries are closing borders... 

The school can DHL me the paperwork, so I just need to be in country with a Thai embassy (there's none here)

I was planning on heading to Taipei, but they've just shut borders to all foreigners. 

My options are getting smaller. They recommend Vientiane, but I don't like the idea of spending 6 weeks there. Or there's Bali?

Lets say I'm in Bali or Vientiane, and 6 weeks later, Thailand closes its borders to all foreigners, I should be able to enter with my new ED visa, right?

What a ball ache.  

• Haha 1

Laos closed.. I hear people turns back at Myanmar this morning, Malaysia closed, Cambodia restricted (I read) and air travel becoming very risky (impossible to obtain health certs is an open question). 

I imagine immigration is going to have to deal with this reality. 

28 minutes ago, banagan said:

Lets say I'm in Bali or Vientiane, and 6 weeks later, Thailand closes its borders to all foreigners, I should be able to enter with my new ED visa, right?

Lets say your in Bali and 6 weeks later new education visa in hand Thailand closes to all foreigners?

has your ed visa got magical powers and made you not  a foreigner? hmm...it's to difficult for me to answer i will leave that one to older and wiser folk than myself ????

But lets say your in Vientiane and 6 weeks later you get a new visa and Thailand bans all foreigners, 
nope I'm still stumped.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AussieBob18 said:

Go home and wait or stay where you are and wait  - this has another 2-3 weeks before the Govts think about starting to reduce travel bans - in meantime they are more likely to increase band - and if things go really bad in 2-3 weeks the Govts will ramp up the bans and you might be locked there.  Whatever happens - IMO you should wait and see or go home and wait.

2-3 weeks! In your dreams

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

2-3 weeks! In your dreams

The CDC has specified 15 days of 'social isolation' to try and slow the spread. If that works and the spread slows down, like in Korea, then things might start to be eased back.   

24 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

I'm hoping the borders are still open next week... I need to get back in from Singapore !!

Hoping coming in on a visa exempt is still an option then too, as my Non Imm O has expired...

See a doctor and get letter saying you dont have corona wuhan virus

5 minutes ago, AussieBob18 said:

See a doctor and get letter saying you dont have corona wuhan virus

What doctors are going to give you a letter like that ?? If you aren't showing any symptoms then they aren't testing !!

At the moment Singapore isn't on the list of countries that need to provide a certificate and insurance... 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, AussieBob18 said:

No I mean so you can get back into Thailand.  If you tell the Dr that you need a letter stating you are not showing any symptons so that you can re-enter Thailand, then I am sure they will comply.  Such a letter will help you a lot with IOs at Swampy.

Ah ok, got ya... Yes you are probably correct.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Personally, I would be worried to be shut IN Thailand!!

I want to get back in from Singapore but looks like that probably won't happen now. It's gonna be a tough few months for families that are forced to be apart !! Hopefully it's not more than a month or two....

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

I want to get back in from Singapore but looks like that probably won't happen now. It's gonna be a tough few months for families that are forced to be apart !! Hopefully it's not more than a month or two....

Yes indeed and I hope all goes well for you. In my case I am single with no Thai "ties" and a month ago I crossed the border into Cambodia to live in retirement.

11 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

You should change your TVF name then !!

Thanks, but no. I have visited Burma on many occasions but this "name" refers to my Uncle who was a medic treating British troops injured at the Battles of Kohima and Imphal (India/Burma) during the Second World War, beginning the demise of the Japanese in Burma.

• Like 2

A medical certificate is an opinion based on observations by a medical professional.  In the case of Covid 19 a medical history and taking the temperature is all that is necessary for that observation. If the temperature is normal, then what is the difficulty.

• Like 1

For those who still want to try to get to Vientiane (via the Friendship Bridge) it might be worth calling the Lao consulate in Khon Kaen (http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/information/1695/26882-LAOS-(Khon-Kaen).html) first to double check the border situation, and second to ask if they can issue you a visa if you stop there on your way to Nong Khai.

22 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Agree, my best guess is COVID-19 peaks mid-April, and travel bans are on for 2-3 months.

Mid-April might be a good guess for a country taking covod-19 seriously, but Thailand is treating it like the Italians first did, and look how it ended-up there.

I think Thailand will be dealing with an overwhelmed medical system by mid-April.

From today's Bangkok Post, if you are coming by air you will not be allowed to board the plane unless you have a letter guaranteeing you are covid 19 free, you have covid 19 medical insurance of a minimum of US 100,000.

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, alanrchase said:

From today's Bangkok Post, if you are coming by air you will not be allowed to board the plane unless you have a letter guaranteeing you are covid 19 free, you have covid 19 medical insurance of a minimum of US 100,000.

In other words "don't bother coming to Thailand for a holiday or even to return home"!!