Dengue. How Long?

EL159

I have what the doctor I saw described as "low level dengue". Blood test done, doctor said no treatment needed, only paracetamol if theres pain, and have to rest and basically sit it out until it clears.

I have the classic symptoms, rash on chest and back, pain in joints which moves around different joints, and overall that general feeling of tiredness, lack of energy.

When I asked the doctor how long, his answer was, well, could be a couple of weeks but also could be "several weeks". Our old friend Google tends to suggest a couple of weeks, but I have a friend here who was inapacitated for about five weeks. I ve had the rash and the tiredness now for three weeks, and now getting depressed ! can anyone whos had it offer experience of the likely timeline? I m OK, but just fed up of waiting! 

Edited by EL159

I had dengue ( break bone fever) a few years back. The first I knew of it was when I got a rash and my Mrs sent me for a test. No symptoms other than that. My Mrs was in hospital for 8 days with dengue and felt it for a couple of weeks after that.  It is a notifiable disease so if there are cases in your area they will be out spraying chemicals in the drains and everywhere else with standing water.  If you have standing water close to you dosing it with bleach   will sort it out. You will need to research to see how much to use.

OP, the severity, symptoms, longevity etc can vary per individual and there are a couple of strains of the virus. Your indiidual health, immune system etc will have a lot to do with the time-frame.

I had dengue a couple of years ago but didnt have the classic symptoms of sore joints or rash, just felt like a really bad case of the flu, 2- 3 weeks until recovered but a good couple of month later I would still feel tired and lack of energy now and then.

If you have the rash already the acute ingection  is ending or over.

However convalesence can be very prolonged and both fatigue and depression are key features. This can go on for many weeks.

I had what they called a medium form of it 5 years ago, slight rash, feeling dizzy, no appetite etc. but I was kept at the hospital as the doctor said I was going into shock (after blood tests) I was better after one week but I felt tired and weak for about 3 months afterwards. wouldn't recommend it.