Emerging infectious diseases expert warns “Time is running out for Thailand”

webfact

12 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

'Important' and 'Elite' people first (Do you know who i am ?)

Anyone with a Uniform next (those with most Medal Ribbons get priority)

Cannon Fodder (the rest) can just wait to die

Farang...Who ?

Without a doubt this is not as funny as it should be.

Some take longer than others to slough of the touristy 'noble savage' fantasies and see things as they are rather than as they want them to be.

Ah well...

Edited by ParkerN

12 hours ago, webfact said:

warned the Thai government that time is running out for Thailand if it does not immediately close its borders to all arrivals.

This man gets the smartest person of the year award, but I'm sure they won't do it and he gets to shelter in place like the rest of us.

Thailand - Thinking Optional

11 hours ago, Xonax said:

WHO and health authorities have known for years and years, that it was only at matter of time, until we would have a worldwide virus pandemic. But they simply not only failed to advice people to stock up on masks and hand sanitizer. They even failed to stock up on these items in hospitals and clinics.

Now WHO and health authorities are lying, by telling people that it is useless to use masks, just so they can have enough masks for themselves. Better use your common sense and do not believe everything your government tells you!

N95 masks to everyone to prevent infections and surgical masks to everyone already infected to prevent spread (N95 allows exhaled air out so pointless if you are infected).

In an ideal world, governments would be giving everyone masks and paying people to be tested.

15 hours ago, whitfield said:

It's not arrivals from abroad that is the problem, it's social distancing.  One irresponsible carrier can infect the whole country.  Shutting borders won't help but shutting off social interraction, the BTS, confining people to their homes etc will effectively stop it.  But is that level of intervention really necessary to prevent people getting a nasty cough and a couple of days fever?

You're right in the first part.....

But regarding the second part...dude... Have you heard nothing about what's happening in Italy, or what happened in China?

It's a nasty flu for many, but for a certain percentage it's a sickness that requires intensive medical care. When the hospitals get slammed by a sudden surge in the patients' number, people that need that health care can't get it (so people who would have normally been fine end up dying, including young ones). And if the hospitals are full of sick people, it will also be much harder for them to take care of anybody with other health problems....not to mention the disease will also spread faster and the number  of patients will keep rising exponentially, making everything I mentioned even worse.

In other words.... yes, anything that can be done to prevent it from getting out of control should be done.

I'm in Canada now and won't be going to Thailand for a while. We closed the schools, cancelled events, postponed any events etc. Downtown was a ghost town today. Will it be enough? I hope so.... but who knows.

But Thailand? You better take care guys, because it sounds like Thailand will be hit really hard really soon.

The skytrain should have been shut down a long time ago, it's effectively one of the most effective disease-transmission devices ever created.... I used to live in Bangkok and I got the flu all the time thanks to the <deleted> skytrain....

Thailand waited too long to close the borders and the bars.... I hope I"m wrong but if it gets really, really bad I wouldn't be surprised at all (and if the skytrain is still running I wouldn't step in it if I were you.... don't forget some people need top notch medical care to recover from Co-vid).

Best of luck guys. Stay safe (and don't forget there will soon be many more desperate people around you as their income dwindles with the restrictions)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, riclag said:

I heard this guy talk about this new research! It looks promising! 

"hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine are effective antiviral therapeutic treatments for novel coronavirus"

"A recent well controlled clinical study conducted by Didier Raoult M.D/Ph.D, et. al in France has shown that 100% of patients that received a combination of HCQ and Azithromycin tested negative and were virologically cured within 6 days of treatment".

https://www.covidtrial.io/

Azithromycin is an antibiotic, not an antiviral, and thus has no impact on COVID-19.

However, if the patient had an underlying condition, or a comorbidity, then Azithromycin would help that condition, depending upon the condition.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mikeasq60 said:

Shut everything down Thailand will experience a period of economic depression like nothing seen before in Thailand.

Should rival or exceed the 90's, yes. It will happen with the events that are already ongoing, tourism has been decimated, exports will dwindle, etc. Damage is done, might as well try to protect the people.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2020 at 2:29 AM, Misterwhisper said:

GET RID OF THAT CLOWN MAN QUICKLY! He evidently is completely unsuitable to hold such an important position.

So pretty much like all the other clowns holding important positions here. ????

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, christophe75 said:

Are you able to calculate percentages, or should we do it for you ?

Mortality rate is estimated at 0.2% of people in the 30-40, versus 0.02% for seasonal flu. You might think the 17 deaths for young people in Italy is nothing, but the flu would not kill nearly as many. 

Diamond princess was your ideal early medical intervention case, and not at all applicable to the real world, since we're not testing people pro-actively regardless of symptoms in most countries. It has been known for a while that early medical intervention is key. If you have a way to achieve that globally, early detection and medical intervention, then sure it's not nearly as much of an issue. Except that's completely unrealistic to achieve in practice.

You know how many people get infected by the flu annually. You know this is more contagious than the flu. You know the mortality rate is significantly higher than the flu. Yet for some reason you put all those pieces together, and come to the conclusion it's not so bad? Why are you looking at the total death count for Italy, ignoring how many people could get infected if we pretended it was just a regular flu (as you seem to be suggesting) and let it spread?

On 3/19/2020 at 12:32 PM, ThailandRyan said:

So what company should I buy stock in that produces these meds.....

It's an old drug which has no patent, anyone can manufacture it.

The GPO should look into this to see if it has merit and get busy if required, I'm sure they're looking into this already.

Edited by ukrules

On 3/19/2020 at 9:25 PM, Mikeasq60 said:

Thailand is being douped same as the US and Europe this CV is a hoax. China is 100% back to work!

Tell that to the families of the dead, the front line doctors and nurses, funeral directors with bodies mounting up in Italy, 

Do you even understand basic contagion and containment?

• Like 1

On 3/19/2020 at 12:56 PM, GeorgeCross said:

not sure but i know one thing i always somehow end up at the back of the queue in a government office ????

You need to work on your handshakes ...

• Haha 2

On 3/19/2020 at 12:14 PM, webfact said:

Favipiravir, which is only produced in China and Japan. Current supplies of Favipiravir, however, are only enough for 600-700 patients, who each require about 70 tablets.  What if there are tens of thousands of patients?

If it is ineffective why the question what to do if they are more than 700 sick? ....
Minister Anutin has already ordered some in China, for what ???

On 3/19/2020 at 3:52 PM, AussieBob18 said:

I have had it confirmed by wife with her relos and friends - if you test negative - you pay - not covered under Thai health plan. If you test positive - free.  Go figure.  Stops people not very sick getting tests done - keeps test numbers down is strategy?

Wow that's terrible! You're right. That would dissuade people from getting tested. 

• Sad 1