Source of Income

A friend had his extension of stay based on retirement (65k/month) turned down by Immigration today. He had his letter from BBL showing 12 months of 65+k baht of foreign deposits plus his passbook. The IO said a new requirement was needed, "source of income". Is this something new?

5 minutes ago, mackayae said:

The IO said a new requirement was needed, "source of income". Is this something new?

Like everything here, it depends on office/officer.

There have been some reports that some offices/IO's require some document showing the "source" of the funds. I was not asked at CW. But I did have several documents in hand (1099/1099SSA/1040/originating bank transfer details, etc.)

Which office? What did the IO say was required exactly?

• Like 1

I guess they can suspect that you may simply be recycling the funds, on a month to month basis. Their paranoia is endless.

If you can afford to park the 800,000 in a Thai bank, it's a no brainer for them. The bank's documentation is all that is needed. 

• Like 2

In Chiang Mai I provided all the legal proof of monthly income they required, BUT it was refused because it was not presented on a single sheet of A4 with the Bank logo and countersignature as required by the IO.  Kasikorn Bank refused to supply this 'Proof''  saying too easy to forge.  I am caught in the middle hoping a solution/ compromise can be worked out.  Clock ticking!

I did my extension at Jomtien in January. They did ask for proof of income.

Being from the UK I gave him copies of my state pension letter and a P60 showing details of my work pension.

I also gave him two bank letters from Bangkok Bank. One showing 12 international monthly deposits of at least 65k and the other letter confirming the account was in my name and the current balance which agreed with my bank book. He actually took a copy of the last page of my bank book.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, peterpop said:

In Chiang Mai I provided all the legal proof of monthly income they required, BUT it was refused because it was not presented on a single sheet of A4 with the Bank logo and countersignature as required by the IO.  Kasikorn Bank refused to supply this 'Proof''  saying too easy to forge.  I am caught in the middle hoping a solution/ compromise can be worked out.  Clock ticking!

No thai bank will stamp and sign any documents you provide. 

6 hours ago, MagnumForce said:

Which IO did you get and which one did your friend get? 

I got the female IO at station 3, I try to always use her. My friend got a male IO who was standing behind the counter and asked to check the documents.

6 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

800k baht permanently in the bank is by far and away the easiest method.

Oh is it really? well I never, I'll just pop out and get some then!

P. S. The topic is 'source of income'.

This source of income is quite a potential problem for some.  I get over 65,000 USD a year in dividends and interest.  I do NOT have a pension.  Do you really think a Thai official would understand or accept my Etrade Estimated Income for the next year, or my printouts of my IRA transactions that showed the dividends and interest that went into those IRAs?  The IRA dividends and interest are NOT reportable income so that does not show up on my IRS 1040 tax form as  income. 

I am sure the Thais expect and the system always kind of assumed income in retirement was pensions.  That is the mentality.  But how in the heck are the Thais going to handle modern other types of income from investments?   Worse, there seems to be no guidelines on what an immigration office would, could or should accept.  This won't be an issue for me as I am postponing any sort of retirement visa to Thailand due to the virus thing of course, not to mention the nutty Thai Insurance thing, and other immigration annoyances. 

• 5 months later...
On 3/20/2020 at 7:42 AM, samsensam said:

the solution; simply prepare the appropriate documents just in case,

But, please, what ‘document‘ is ‘appropriate’ (at Jomtien IO) for each of the following:

UK government pension

UK occupational pension

Annuity

Investments: dividends, capital gains, rents, etc.

When must it be dated and what must be stated?  Does it need some official stamps or signatures? 

The simplest would perhaps be HMRC documents but they do not necessarily indicate the source with adequate precision.   Or can I just write it all down and sign it!  

Another method if indicating that the money is mine to send here is my UK bank account statements, highlighting the relevant credits and debits.  Thus is the immediate source of all the monthly payments.

Any ideas welcome, or (redacted) examples of such a complex multi-source case.  TIA.

1 hour ago, PGSan said:

But, please, what ‘document‘ is ‘appropriate’ (at Jomtien IO) for each of the following:

UK government pension

UK occupational pension

Annuity

Investments: dividends, capital gains, rents, etc.

When must it be dated and what must be stated?  Does it need some official stamps or signatures? 

The simplest would perhaps be HMRC documents but they do not necessarily indicate the source with adequate precision.   Or can I just write it all down and sign it!  

Another method if indicating that the money is mine to send here is my UK bank account statements, highlighting the relevant credits and debits.  Thus is the immediate source of all the monthly payments.

Any ideas welcome, or (redacted) examples of such a complex multi-source case.  TIA.

When I did my marriage extension at Si Racha (still part of Chonburi immigration and uses the same requirements as Jomtien) in February this year I supplied the following with regard to the financial requirements:

State pension.............................annual statement from the DWP in the UK showing payment for current year

Occupational pension..............annual statement from the provider showing current payment for the year

Annuity........................................annual statement from the provider showing current payment for the year

Each statement is on headed paper so also confirmed the source of my income.

I also took the original letters confirming when each pension started, although these weren't asked for.

An annual/current Tax statement from HMRC which both confirms my current taxable income and lists my income sources. 

A statement from my UK bank account showing all monthly/four weekly transfers from each pension provider for the year plus transfers made every month to Transferwise.

A PDF supplied by Transferwise of every transfer going directly to my Bangkok  bank. 

A one year bank statement from Bangkok bank showing the required transfers originated from overseas, with an FTT code.

A letter from Bangkok bank confirming the account remains active and is solely in my name.

A photocopy of every page in my Bangkok Bank Book. 

I also produced a spreadsheet showing every single transfer made, the date sent and the amount, etc. the IO actually complimented me on this because they could easily use it to cross reference any part of the info they were looking at.