Thailand to tighten entry rules for all nationalities in virus fight

snoop1130

We are blocking infection from coming into the country that is why people need medical certificate and health insurance to enter Thailand," Prime Minister Prayuth said. ]

Does this also count for Thai people who come from abroad?

Your fight against that virus is to honor, but it comes two month too late. The outbreak under the Thai population, which brought in by Thai and Chinese people uncontrolled, and kept the business rolling over CNY was your problem. Not the few Farang, which why ever come now to Thailand. It is also not the time to blame Farang as dirty and dangerous, especially if they live here, spend money for a house, handyman, restaurant, utilities or other daily things to need without being abroad for maybe years. If you don't want Farang Tourist, then just speak it out loud. They will understand and make a big bow around your lovely Amazing ???? Thailand. Just have a look how many rich men will join new under your rules, to compensate the 20% GDP lost from the old Farang tourists. What make Thailand better than an Island with clean beaches, sunbeds, umbrellas etc as for example at Vietnam or Philippines? My mom teaches me: Stupid and Proud grow on the ground!

We just see, it must be more than this. How many other people live from the tourist beside your official measures from hotels and Dolce-Gabani shops? That are also the uncounted poor people who can earn at least enough from tourist to survive without paying tax or all the Thai Families which are supported by a dirty stinking Farang who just want also only live in peace and harmony in Thailand. 

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, keemapoot said:

The Thai Embassy in Tokyo states this will be effective from the 21st of March with respect to the health certificate, but as of yet there is no stated date for the proof of insurance coverage. The health certificate merely has to be a "fit to fly" certificate and state you have no fever or other symptoms, but does not require exactly that you have been tested and proven free from Covid-19, which would be impossible for most people.

In any event, this is pretty difficult for most people anyway, and almost impossible for many people coming from countries that do not have these available in English language. 

* Just reading a social media comment - A Thai spoke to the Okaka Thai consulate and they insisted it had to be a Covid-19 certificate. Obviously, this is very expensive, or just mostly not available in most places for a discretionary purposes like this. Another brilliant policy move.

I’ve seen multiple conflicting information as well from other sources I don’t think they really know for sure yet because it looks like the government is still putting together a response to the whole international pandemic in multiple different aspects and I really don't think anything is official yet. They keep putting out different information constantly even about Songkran so I don’t think anyone knows much yet.

Bottom line it’s only a temporary situation let’s just pray it’s over soon. I’m more concerned about the panic then the pandemic. I’m scared to death of mass hysteria and panic not germs. If I get sick and die then I get sick and die it’s inevitable at some point in life. 

This new regulation will ensure that arrivals will be less than 10,000,000 a year. $100,000 insurance is a ridiculous sum. As I am above 70 I can only get a maximum of $50,000 cover. Some of the other requirements can't be fulfilled as most countries health systems are overloaded looking after real problems. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SymS said:

This even impact Thai people wanting to return to Thailand. I have a friend who is stuck in China. She tested negative for COVID-19 and got document before taking her flight, but they did not allow her to board because she did not have insurance. Her boss purchased insurance and tried to get another flight the same day, but refused boarding again because the insurance did not cover COVID-19 specifically. Now she needs to quarantine herself in China for 14 more days, and then test for COVID-19, get insurance, and new plane ticket. Once in Thailand, she'll have to quarantine herself 14 more days, so her path to "freedom" will take around one month.

Thais don't need the insurance afaik..

1 hour ago, smedly said:

they would then have to compensate people for hotels and flights 

No, they won't.
But if they close the borders, they can't say "We NEVER did close our borders" when this Chinese made nightmare is over.

21 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

heard Antarctica is pretty kewl this time of year..

Its already fall down there and the polar winter will be coming soon.
But at the moment it seems to be a place which still has no confirmed Wuhan virus infections.....

If your from the USA the US State Department has just posted a No Travel Advisory, and even if you did get back to the States, not sure you would be able to get back here, or out of the States.  So all the Certificates to fly are useless as well as the required insurance it now seems, for those from the USA.

Travel Advisory: Global Level 4 Health Advisory – Do Not Travel

The Department of State advises U.S. citizens to avoid all international travel due to the global impact of COVID-19.  In countries where commercial departure options remain available, U.S. citizens who live in the United States should arrange for immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period.  U.S. citizens who live abroad should avoid all international travel.  Many countries are experiencing COVID-19 outbreaks and implementing travel restrictions and mandatory quarantines, closing borders, and prohibiting non-citizens from entry with little advance notice.  Airlines have cancelled many international flights and several cruise operators have suspended operations or cancelled trips.  If you choose to travel internationally, your travel plans may be severely disrupted, and you may be forced to remain outside of the United States for an indefinite timeframe.

On March 14, the Department of State authorized the departure of U.S. personnel and family members from any diplomatic or consular post in the world who have determined they are at higher risk of a poor outcome if exposed to COVID-19 or who have requested departure based on a commensurate justification.  These departures may limit the ability of U.S. Embassies and consulates to provide services to U.S. citizens.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, smedly said:

unfortunately there is no magic spell to make this all go away, governments are doing what they can do - some better than others granted - it is what it is 

I just saw a news report on skynews were they had a camera in one of the ICU's treating COVID victims - it was harrowing watching them trying to breath - quite shocking

scary as hell to die like that, I'd be tempted to have a means to pull the plug than go through that drowning in your own fluids business. When the world's hospital start being over run there will be more Italian style triage - the young being picked over the old when faced with who can we save. We'll survive this but imo there are going to be millions dead eventually, I just hope the world prepares for the next one which could be worse..

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

There is no health insurance anywhere in the world that would specifically cover COVID-19 infections; and certainly not for a whopping $100,000 coverage amount. In fact health insurers far and wide - public and private - have all put COVID-19 on their exclusion lists.

Not true

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ventenio said:

Last year, farangs wanted:   1. a weaker baht.  2.  less chinese   3.  less traffic.  

OK, you got all these things farangs!!!!!!!!!!

Less Chinese but also less Farang and not more Farang.

5 hours ago, spiekerjozef said:

it's bye bye tourism for every country on this planet.

Thailand will be ok though,

since we have been told forever that  tourism and money brought into the Thai economy by us farangs is only like 5% of the Thai GDP?

right?

well we will soon see about that.

If its only 5% then Thailand will feel no sting at all?

right?

;0)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, keemapoot said:

The Thai Embassy in Tokyo states this will be effective from the 21st of March with respect to the health certificate, but as of yet there is no stated date for the proof of insurance coverage. The health certificate merely has to be a "fit to fly" certificate and state you have no fever or other symptoms, but does not require exactly that you have been tested and proven free from Covid-19, which would be impossible for most people.

In any event, this is pretty difficult for most people anyway, and almost impossible for many people coming from countries that do not have these available in English language. 

* Just reading a social media comment - A Thai spoke to the Okaka Thai consulate and they insisted it had to be a Covid-19 certificate. Obviously, this is very expensive, or just mostly not available in most places for a discretionary purposes like this. Another brilliant policy move.

My friend got stopped boarding a flight to Thailand from London yesterday, UK time 15.15 after security, 10 min before boarding, no med cert, not told at check in, British Airways.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

I would recommend reporting to immigration for an extension.  I would expect some sort of leniency with regards to them during an ongoing pandemic.

Thai immigration leniency?????????????????????

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

Its virtually impossible to provide what is being asked for. 

Clarity is required for all things Thai.

The published information is slightly different from the ones on here.

Screenshot_20200320-170557_Chrome.jpg

Happened yesterday 19th 15.15 UK time LHR.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, keemapoot said:

Bit like the Bar Closures on Samui ... Pointless

ALL resturants are now packed ( Minimal Food making the virus easier to catch)..... and bars turning off lights and no music .... it’s a better comedy show than the Goons ever was lol

Im curious hopefully this travel ban will be lifted by June when I plan to fly. Im an American living and working in Afghanistan I havent set foot in the US for a few years now. Does anyone know if Id need a medical certificate in Dubai to travel onto Bangkok?

That's pretty funny! Only a week ago, a Hong Kong citizen on holiday had infected many other Thais by smoking and drinking together accompanied by some female"freelancers."

Why did the Thai government NOT stop Chinese people from coming to Thailand, right after it was clear that the virus is severe?

I can only blame the politicians for not doing their job. Instead, they're planning to pray the virus away?

Time for some changes while the whole world is suffering.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

It was mentioned in the press a week or two ago that it's possible that London airports could be shut down totally in a week or two. As someone else said, new things are happening every day.

Yesterday I changed my return flight to London from April 7th to March 27th.

UK so far not even participating in the current EU ban.

"Chancellor says travel bans 'are not going to have material effect' on spread of infections."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/12/uk-does-not-need-to-copy-us-ban-on-flights-from-eu-says-sunak

"The FCO is not advising UK nationals to immediately return to the UK, but says that people should “keep in mind that flights may be cancelled at short notice or other travel restrictions may be put in place by foreign governments” and to “take account of the fast moving situation and plan accordingly, while flights remain available in many places”.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2020/mar/19/coronavirus-travel-updates-which-countries-have-restrictions-and-fco-warnings-in-place

"WHO evidence provides some support for short-term measures that might interfere with international traffic at the early containment phase of an outbreak. However, longer-term restrictions are normally not effective once appropriate containment measures are in place."

https://www.icao.int/Security/COVID-19/Pages/default.aspx

The truth is that all the outright bans have come much too late.

But governments are trying to look like they are "doing something".

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 1