My wife loves more her relatives than me

Lacrimas

25 minutes ago, Emdog said:

In cultural lens of the west, you were taken advantage. But you aren't in the west. Things and obligations are different here. I'd hope after 12 years you might know that, but better late than never.

Skip sitting down and explaining it to her in hopes things will change. They won't.

Take charge of main account, put her on some sort of allowance. It's not being mean. You would be doing her a favor. In future if some relative asks for money, she can turn them down with clear conscience.

until they hock everything

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, HarrySeaman said:

I have been living here for 18 years.  I learned long ago that the hierarchy is parents, children, relatives, friends, temple, dog, husband.

I also learned that the term loan has exactly the same meaning as give in Thailand.

If you don't want your wife to spend it or give it away don't give it to her.  Money, clothing, jewelry, etc., it is all the same.  If anyone they know says then like it and wish they had one like it or if they say they need it, its gone.  By giving it away they gain face, and face is everything here. 

Spot on Harryseaman

+1

Came to that conclusion at the beginning of my 20 year marriage. 

I have lent money as a gift and it came back bonus.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mavrix said:

Go awol for a couple of nights....give her time to reflect on her actions.

Done that one. Then asked here to come pick me up in Pattaya in the car I bought for her to chauffeur my ass back to Nakhon nowhere. 

It works a treat.

* Warning* this approach may be dangerous for some!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Lacrimas said:

Wise words thanks. I didn't really expect this from her to tell you the truth. We met in Europe and she is an educated person and works as a government employee here in Thailand.

Educated person and a government employee so that 100k could as well be her own money that she gave away . She must make enough money then ,so you can tell her it's her own money that she borrowed(gave) them . I don't see the problem . 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lacrimas said:

I feel she prioritizes her family over me all the time

If you take this social pressure to support family and relatives and conclude your wife doesn't love you as much, you're mistaken. It's also the the Asian group think versus western individualism.

She knew she wouldn't jeopardize the relationship by taking out the 100 k without your consent. So she can have the cake and eat it too.

If you have a couple of mil in one account you could use the excuse that the bank's insurance level per account and bank is actually just 1 million, which happens to be true for most banks.

So it's wise to arrange so each book bank is not more than 1 million anyway. Plus for migration and/or if you ever want to incorporate a company (need around 2 million) its always wise to keep the money in your name for those reasons too.

But I feel ya, At one stage I had a bag of 40 or 50 Megadeath and similar t-shirts I kept for some reason sitting in my Mrs and my house.

One day while I was away my wife generously gave the whole bag of t-shirts away to her sister to donate to random peeps or for selling at local markets or anything. She didn't even tell me and I didn't realize until 6 months later.  Trust me, I did not approve of this maneuver!

But to avoid her taking the shirt off your back like me, keep your savings separate!

20 hours ago, jastheace said:

hide any vehicle green books, and house /land papers.

Absolutely, I wonder how many guys on here don't know their Mrs has 'put the car in the bank' as they say. If she 'can't find' the registration, its 'in the bank'.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Lacrimas said:

Wise words thanks. I didn't really expect this from her to tell you the truth. We met in Europe and she is an educated person and works as a government employee here in Thailand.

This is the LAST TIME, OK!

IMG_5485.JPG.5e32c7f5c8cc87e9b651baac20779151.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When i was young, you think you are married and therefor have all together.

You are in trust with each other as it should be.

However in time you learn it is not always like that. Specially with money.

In all those years after being young and having the struggles in life, you know you have to separate money from any relation. THey dont work together in a relation, its evil.

Not only experienced myself, sadly i have quit some of that experience, but heard and seen it as well with others. After my second relation, i was always in control of my own money, separation !  

And it doenst matter if she is Thai, it is everywhere.   

Marriage or having relation in fact doesnt say all, it can easily change in time and you have to be aware of that. In my first relation, marriage, i didnt see it coming. I thought i was doing ok with wife and kids, however it turned out totally different, just like that.

OP, sorry for your misfortune, but please see it as a lesson learned.

My wife and I have been together for 18 years, but I still have my bank account in my own hands.

It turned out to be the best decision ever. Not that I cannot trust her, but too many relatives have nothing or little.

It's time for you to make her understand that she's hurting you a lot by giving away your money without your agreement. 

Your wife is a civil servant, and she could quickly get a cheap credit and pay the money back. Or the relative could pay it back. 

Please ask yourself and perhaps her why she didn't go that way?

Maybe she already took credit for this person without telling you?

Now is the time for the truth. I understand your point, and if you can't trust your wife, then you've somehow lost the game. 

But I also understand the "privilege" when a Thai woman is married to a relatively "rich" foreigner.

This relative wasn't the first person, and it won't be the last one asking your wife when times are hard.

If she's as educated as you said, there's no way that she doesn't understand it.

Perhaps you will get the money back, but it takes some more time?

If you find out that it's only the money why she's staying with you, it's time to end the relationship.

But lending a relative this amount of money is not the worst a woman can do to you.

I've seen wives of foreigners who were gambling his money away, and I finally stopped telling them the truth about their wives. 

In the end, I'd be the bad guy once they're back together.

Not even mentioning the ones who had one or more boyfriends or Gigs. 

Considering that you're the one who lives with your wife, use your common sense, and see if your relationship is worth fighting.

Maybe you do get the money back, and the relative only needs some more time?

Best of luck! 

Edited by Isaanbiker
If Adam was using a rib to create women, why didn't he use ten of them?

22 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Not only her family...but her friends and all Thais. She even loves the dog, cat and buffalo more. Welcome to Lie-Land! :vampire:

Not all women are like that. You are bashing Thais now, the finest art.

BTW, why are so many people ALL around the world divorced?

Love is a terrible thing. It comes and goes. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1