Immigration at CW and Covid-19

9 hours ago, JTXR said:

Hundreds of people from all over the world gathered in extremely close proximity for hours and hours?  I dread needing to go there for my extension of permission to stay.  And I dread what TI's "solution" might be.

I take it you don't use the BTS to get to work in the morning or go home again.  It's still crowded during rush hours.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, whitewolfchefny said:

Anyone know if the Mai Sai/Myanmar Border Open Or Closed For SETV Extension?

You cannot enter Myanmar unless you have a valid visa for there. No border hop for a 30 day visa exempt entry is possible without it.

If you want a 30 day extension of the 60 day entry from your visa you can do it at a immigration office.

• Thanks 1

I have multi Non-O visa based on marriage

The 90 days are almost up

I need to go out at Mae Sai and get quick in/out stamps in passport

at the Myanmar immigration on the Tachileik side of the bridge for 500 baht

and come back to Thailand

Is this still possible?

Surely it would not need a Myanmar visa just to do that?

Does anyone know?

50 minutes ago, doublephil said:

Is this still possible?

Surely it would not need a Myanmar visa just to do that?

Not possible now at any crossing to Myanmar.

You need to have a valid visa for Myanmar.

2 hours ago, seancbk said:

I take it you don't use the BTS to get to work in the morning or go home again.  It's still crowded during rush hours.

I think "crowded" is putting it mildly, I would say jammed in like sardines ... I had to do my 90 day the other week and it's far easier to keep your distance at CW than on the public transport during the rush hours

My wife and I stood around for many hours in CW waiting our turn to do the application for 1 yr extension of my Non Imm O based on marriage some 2 weeks ago. Now Under Consideration I have to go back in person on the 7th April.

My question is if these Government people finally make up their minds to actually do something and that something is a drastic total lock-down what about my expiring extension, a question no doubt of interest to hundreds if not thousands of others?

And what is likely to happen about buying food in a lock-down?Does anyone know? 

• Like 1

I just did an extension, there was a group of Americans sharing a pizza together, no protective gear. They left the pizza box open, came back later (in a crowded area) and were debating on whether to take the last slice of pizza.. and decided against it to be safe... I was not too comfortable! The shop owner next door had the wucough.

• Sad 2

14 hours ago, JTXR said:

Hundreds of people from all over the world gathered in extremely close proximity for hours and hours?

I just rocked up with the Mrs to the local migration office for my 90 day renewal.

6 months late to report this time due to some boring reason. Not sure it would be 2k fine or even the theoretical 5k given my lateness.

Place was packed. unreal. It's out in the sticks so there's an even smaller waiting room within the main building just for 90 day extensions.

10 people crammed just in that room! I grabbed a waiting ticket and told the lady standing by the door:

'I'll wait outside come get me' without even looking at her or waiting for her reply - and I was wearing my sunglasses and a mask.

To my surprise she did just that! She actually came out and fetched me when my number came up.

The Missues managed to sweet talk them so the 2 k fine was lowered to just 1 k !  so sorrrrrry kaaaaaaa.

Me going 'yea totally it'll never happen again..' ????   All in all not a bad day.  All I need to do now is wait 2 or 3 weeks to find out if i contracted Covid19 and then i'm good til next time.

If anyone is late with the 90 day and got a wife laying around , I'd definitely recommend bringing her.

14 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Nothing you can do to avoid it. Wear a mask and avoid contact with people.

The are checking temperatures on entry to perhaps stop infected people from entering,

That’s probably the scariest part of it because apparently I’ve read that you could potentially be contagious for up to several days before you’re even symptomatic and know you’re sick. So people could potentially be spreading it without knowing they’re sick yet. That’s what I’ve read, and apparently it’s the reason why it’s so difficult if not impossible to control. That’s why everyone is in a panic. 

Edited by JimLuce
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, JimLuce said:

That’s probably the scariest part of it because apparently I’ve read that you could potentially be contagious for up to several days before you’re even symptomatic and know you’re sick. So people could potentially be spreading it without knowing they’re sick yet. That’s what I’ve read, and apparently it’s the reason why it’s so difficult if not impossible to control. That’s why everyone is in a panic. 

Data shows 2-14 days from infection until symptoms show.  Pretty much everyone who gets it has a period of no symptoms where they can infect others.  

You need to do more research.

Research by Imperial College London - https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/196234/covid19-imperial-researchers-model-likely-impact/

Research by University of Minnesota - http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/03/modeling-study-suggests-18-months-covid-19-social-distancing-much

There are a lot more very informative reports by real scientists if you bother looking.

Spent the day yesterday at the Government Complex Immigration in North Bangkok. BTS from Nana to the last stop. BTS perhaps @ 15% of capacity. Grab Car to Complex. Arrived just after 9 am. Temperature taken at entrance. Facility packed with people. Finally got my ticket in the cue. Mine was Section K 660. The room was standing room only. Very orderly. Everyone in the same situation due to complications from the C Virus. When I arrived in the processing room my cue was serving K 100. All other sections similar. Finally called for processing at 5:30 PM. Very quick and efficient. Lady at the desk very nice and accomodating. Clearly overworked. Process completed then the wait for the completed passport. Another 45 minutes. Departed the Complex at 6:30 pm. A 9+ hour process.  

Grab Car to Mo Chit. BTS to Nana. BTS perhaps 20% full.

Visa extension properly handled. My arrival visitation stamp was good through April 2. Extension now good until May 2.

Long day. Staff doing their best. Foreigners very patient and well behaved. Given the current crisis about as good as could be expected.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I need to do retirement extension in next 45 days at CW Bangkok. I hope to go before Friday. Anyone know how bad the queues a L counters have been recently? I'm worried that immigration will be shut sometime soon. 

On 3/20/2020 at 9:37 PM, JimLuce said:

The CV contagious before symptoms show part is correct.

But that notwithstanding, if you have one, you can wear an N95 mask and practice hand hygiene and try to avoid too close contact with others around you in order to protect yourself.

On 3/20/2020 at 5:17 PM, ubonjoe said:

You cannot enter Myanmar unless you have a valid visa for there. No border hop for a 30 day visa exempt entry is possible without it.

If you want a 30 day extension of the 60 day entry from your visa you can do it at a immigration office.

Hey Ubonjoe

I told my wife (Thai National) the info about the border being closed to foreigners, however, she insisted we go to Mai Sai anyway. Sure enough DENIED. I'm super busy when I do go back to NY so (dummy) me only gets a 30 day VOA. Either I do a border hop or just go back to NY to work for a month or so then return. Anyway my VOA expires the 25th March. I'm told I need a letter from my consulate stating/requesting I be allowed a 30/60 day extension due to coronalV measures, border closings. So now I think I need the letter and a visit to CM Immigration for my extension. 

What do you guys think?