Attempts To Be Made To Curb Cases Of Kidnapped Children During School Holidays

Jai Dee

SDHS and relevant agencies attempt to curb cases of kidnapped children during school holidays

The Ministry of Social Development and Human Security (SDHS) conducted a joint meeting with the Justice Ministry and Royal Thai Police to prevent child kidnapping during the school holidays.

The Permanent Secretary of Social Development and Human Security (SDHS), Mr. Wallop Ploythabthim (วัลลภ พลอยทับทิม), presided over a collaborative meeting with representatives from the Justice Ministry, Children, Juveniles, and Women Division, and the Missing People Information Center.

The purpose of the meeting is to seek measures to prevent kidnapping incidents. Authorities report that up to 755 people are reportedly missing. The majority of missing people are children aged less than 18 years. Officials believe cases of missing persons may be linked to human trafficking.

A press conference detailing the meeting's conclusions will be held at 15.00 hours today (April 9) by Deputy Minister of Social Development and Human Security, MD Poldech Pinprateep (พลเดช ปิ่นประทีป).

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 09 April 2007

Authorities report that up to 755 people are reportedly missing. The majority of missing people are children aged less than 18 years. Officials believe cases of missing persons may be linked to human trafficking.

755 people missing? Are these all children? Over a period of how long?

Even without the answers I am quite astounded at the number of people missing. Maybe some are people who just want to disappear.

Authorities report that up to 755 people are reportedly missing. The majority of missing people are children aged less than 18 years. Officials believe cases of missing persons may be linked to human trafficking.

Even without the answers I am quite astounded at the number of people missing. Maybe some are people who just want to disappear.

The article says the "majority" are children aged 18 or less. It doesn't take an exact figure to see how disturbing this information is. Why is this not reported in the news media on a regular basis? Redundant question probably. It will be very interesting to see what information actually comes out of this meeting.

I always read these articles with a little scepticism. First they say children under 18...well, aren't all children under 18! The basic problem is they aren't very clear on what they consider kidnapping. A lot of young people simply run away or leave home.

With others they simply move out against the direct wishes of their parents. Frequently, the family knows who they are with and approximately where they are. In the case of some young girls with an older boyfriend, the case may be considered to be technically a "kidnapping."

Make no mistake, all of these situations are potentially serious. But the forceful abduction of people is much more serious as is the enticement of youngsters for illegal purposes.

I hope they clarify the situation and put the numbers in the right categories so people can judge just how serious the problems are.

I hope they clarify the situation and put the numbers in the right categories so people can judge just how serious the problems are.

The Mirror Foundation, an NGO working against human trafficking, have figures of around 400 children missing between 2003 and now, about 30 aged below 11 and the rest 11-18. This is all missing children, not just kidnap victims. I'm not sure how they have got the figures but I think that they've tried to collate this from police records around the country.

You can bet that 755 is just the tip of the iceberg. Read this: She Got Away

I live in a small mooban off Phaholyothin Road. We know all our neighbors and they all love my two daughters. Even so, we are dead scared someone will come and snatch them away some time when we have taken our eye off them for a moment or two.

And people ask why I am preparing to leave Thailand? Rack kidnapping kids as just another reason to go.

:o

You can bet that 755 is just the tip of the iceberg. Read this: She Got Away

I see that you wrote this piece yourself. Do you have any independent corroboration of your story?