Thai Friend Driving To Penang

Samuiclaudia

Hi

I have a Thai friend who will be driving to Penang in a company car which is insured by a Thai company and my friend has a Thai driving licence.

He is very concerned he will get stopped at the border as he has heard he must have an international licence and Malaysian insurance.

My hubby and I have been to Penang in our own car on many occasions and have never once been asked for driving licences or insurance papers.

Can anyone advise the latest information about driving across the Malaysian border? He only intends to be there about 2 days to purchase some computer equipment

Thanks

Hi

I have a Thai friend who will be driving to Penang in a company car which is insured by a Thai company and my friend has a Thai driving licence.

He is very concerned he will get stopped at the border as he has heard he must have an international licence and Malaysian insurance.

My hubby and I have been to Penang in our own car on many occasions and have never once been asked for driving licences or insurance papers.

Can anyone advise the latest information about driving across the Malaysian border? He only intends to be there about 2 days to purchase some computer equipment

Thanks

My advice would be take the train to Butterworth. I did that and it was well worth it! :o

Pavee

Not difficult to get an international license (in Bangkok).

Regarding insurance, your friend will need 'proper comprehensive insurance valid for Malaysia'

as opposed to the local (sometimes) mickey mouse variety.

Naka.

Edited by naka