Britain's NHS could be overwhelmed like Italy, Johnson warns on coronavirus

rooster59

48 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

The long term fix will be a long time coming. Herd immunity will take effect long before that happens.

The problem with 'herd immunity' is that you are only 'immune' as long as the virus has not mutated.

"Over the length of its 30,000-base-pair genome, SARS-CoV-2 accumulates an average of about one to two mutations per month, Rambaut says. “It’s about two to four times slower than the flu,” he says."

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/03/mutations-can-reveal-how-coronavirus-moves-they-re-easy-overinterpret

So slower than the flu, but mutations are inevitable. Eventually the mutation will be such that previous immunity is lost.

It's the same with the flu. Just because you had the flu once, doesn't mean your immune. Just because you got a vacccine, doesn't mean you're immune. Depends on the strain of the flu.

There is, fortunately, a surefire way to prevent infection. That is to test, identify and isolate infected people.

"What we really need to focus on is finding those who are sick, those who have the virus, and isolate them, find their contacts and isolate them," Mike Ryan said in an interview on the BBC's Andrew Marr Show.

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020/03/22/world/europe/22reuters-health-coronavirus-who-ryan.html

Listen to Mike! BE LIKE MIKE!

1 hour ago, Logosone said:

That's true, there a some things that are better in the UK. I quite agree.

Also better bookshops and if there is a place in Germany that can make coffee as good as Savini's in London I would be surprised.

However, sadly, your health care system is not one of those things. Your health care professionals are not given what they need. Bin liners to protect your staff? 5000 ICU beds? I hope for the sake of my British friends you will get to where you need to be.

I have high hopes seeing that Boris Johnson has, after pressure from NHS personnel, announced that testing will be massively ramped up.

Testing, identifying and isolating the carriers will be the way to control this virus.

giphy.gif

Total nonsense....????

1 hour ago, Logosone said:

That's true, there a some things that are better in the UK. I quite agree.

Also better bookshops and if there is a place in Germany that can make coffee as good as Savini's in London I would be surprised.

However, sadly, your health care system is not one of those things. Your health care professionals are not given what they need. Bin liners to protect your staff? 5000 ICU beds? I hope for the sake of my British friends you will get to where you need to be.

I have high hopes seeing that Boris Johnson has, after pressure from NHS personnel, announced that testing will be massively ramped up.

Testing, identifying and isolating the carriers will be the way to control this virus.

giphy.gif

Your birthplace country and the country you admire, both have about 30,000 cases of the bug, the UK has around 6,000, yet you at every chance slag off the UK, it is very tiresome....????

• Like 1

Isolation is not without precedent. Been to the village a few times, nice pub when open.

Yet, if there is anywhere on the planet that understands just what is needed to defeat a deadly illness, it is surely this tiny Derbyshire community of 900 people.

It was here, during one of the most horrific and heroic episodes of English history, that villagers took the now famous decision to quarantine themselves during an outbreak of bubonic plague in 1665-66.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/coronavirus-latest-eyam-bubonic-plague-village-lessons-parallels-a9414306.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, bannork said:

Southend to London train this morning. More crowded than usual because of cut back in services to prevent the spread of the virus.

IMG_20200323_172715.jpg

IMG_20200323_172707.jpg

ahh, modern times, prudence in progress,

transporting many more virii with fewer trains - saving on something!

• Haha 1

It seems that young party goers defying authority at time of sickness is nothing new in London.

“On hearing ill rumour that Londoners may soon be urged into their lodgings...I looked upon the street to see a gaggle of striplings...no doubt spreading the plague. Not a care had these rogues for the health of their elders!”

Samuel Pepys Diaries, 1664.    

Some personal bickering posts and replies have been removed:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

If the bickering continues, warnings will be issued.