Travel insurance to cover COVID....is it possible?

mikey88

I’m on a retirement visa but am out of the country. Is it true you have to have insurance cover for COVID to get back in....?

If so.....any suggestions..?  
Does any company cover it..?

I dont think you need cover.

The point is that pretty much all international airlines are now no longer issuing boarding passes unless the passenger can present a medical certificate to confirm you are not a liability firstly for the airline, secondly for the country.

I am of course like everyone else, an armchair expert that knows knack all.

You really need to be starting with your airline, before thry stop flying altogether.

33 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

I am of course like everyone else, an armchair expert that knows knack all.

You really need to be starting with your airline, before thry stop flying altogether.

The airlines know nothing either, well Air Asia anyway.

They told me only the check-in desk will know, go to the airport and see if they will let you on the flight, we can't sell you a ticket. (This was Friday evening in Siem Reap, tuktuk to airport and check-in desk changed my ticket to their last flight to DMK until further notice)

Lucky escape,

I narrowly missed having to drink myself unconscious every night on 50c beers for a month or more.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

Referring to the graphic above, why would a Thai need to have a letter from the Thai embassy or consulate certifying that the passenger is a Thai national returning to Thailand in order to check in for a flight? Wouldn't presentation of a Thai passport prove that the passenger is a Thai national and their itinerary indicate a final destination of Thailand?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrDave said:

Referring to the graphic above, why would a Thai need to have a letter from the Thai embassy or consulate certifying that the passenger is a Thai national returning to Thailand in order to check in for a flight? Wouldn't presentation of a Thai passport prove that the passenger is a Thai national and their itinerary indicate a final destination of Thailand?

Why have one paper when you can ask for more Dave??  Cause massive inconvenience, added costs, wasted time, and spread the virus around more, high-five whoever thought this up!!!

• Haha 1

getting a edical certificate say in UK would be very difficult at the moment  due to lack of available tests  and staff shortages  in GPs surgery    a private clinic might do it but expect to pay £ 400 or $500 

but the insurance companies are not writing new travel polocies at the moment and certainly none with COVID  Virus  cover ,,

things will change  but not for a while   ...I doubt i will be seeing my family in Thailand until end of the year??

• Thanks 1

I have checked with two Travel Insurance Providers:

1.  WorldNomads.com states any policy issued before January 23 2020 could provide coverage for Covid 19.  I interpret this as any new policy issued would not provide coverage.  I say this because the fine print in all insurance policies are difficult to interpret.  I have purchased policies from this company in the past did not have any complaints.

2.  AIG invokes the term “Unforeseen” as the key term to deny coverage for COVID 19.  Since WHO has declared COVID 19 as a pandemic it is no longer an unforeseen event.

Based upon the limited research I have done a new Travel Insurance Policy that will provide coverage for COVID 19 is not possible.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, DrDave said:

Welcome to the land of documents. 

That's the same question as foreigners asking why immigration needs so many documents for visa extension when one is enough....

They just like more proofs and more documents. Maybe there have been fake ones in the past by some unscrupulous people.

4 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

I have checked with two Travel Insurance Providers:

1.  WorldNomads.com states any policy issued before January 23 2020 could provide coverage for Covid 19.  I interpret this as any new policy issued would not provide coverage.  I say this because the fine print in all insurance policies are difficult to interpret.  I have purchased policies from this company in the past did not have any complaints.

2.  AIG invokes the term “Unforeseen” as the key term to deny coverage for COVID 19.  Since WHO has declared COVID 19 as a pandemic it is no longer an unforeseen event.

Based upon the limited research I have done a new Travel Insurance Policy that will provide coverage for COVID 19 is not possible.  

Yes, it's almost impossible to get one with the lack of testing kits etc,

Insurance companies aim is to make money and not loss. If there are tons of people claiming COVID medical fees, it will make them go bankrupt.

So the conclusion is, DON'T COME TO THAILAND at this time.

17 hours ago, DrDave said:

why would a Thai need to have a letter from the Thai embassy or consulate certifying that the passenger is a Thai national returning to Thailand in order to check in for a flight?

because stupidity knows  no  bounds?

• Haha 1

I just read something interesting. 

"those who bought the Covid-19 insurance packages are  basically being ripped off as most  private hospitals will not say that they are treating you for Covid-19!)" 

https://www.thailandmedical.news/news/thailand-coronavirus-updates-is-the-thai-government-planning-to-use-a-new-herd-immunity-model-approach

I bought one of those insurance but now I think that I probably wasted my money (I don't have a work permit and I travel often...): https://www.frank.co.th/en/corona-virus-insurance

Also if you need insurance to get into Thailand the minimum coverage is $100K not Thai baht. 

Edited by Tayaout

32 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

I bought one of those insurance but now I think that I probably wasted my money (I don't have a work permit and I travel often...): https://www.frank.co.th/en/corona-virus-insurance

Wife this  morning spent 45  minutes trying to get thru to them and was  told  no  work permit  no  cover............maybe they have been inundated and are trying to mitigate the amount applying but thats of 11am today 23rd  March BANGKOK

Edited by Chazar
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chazar said:

Wife this  morning spent 45  minutes trying to get thru to them and was  told  no  work permit  no  cover............maybe they have been inundated and are trying to mitigate the amount applying but thats of 11am today 23rd  March BANGKOK

What's with this discrimination against those with work permit and retirees/marriage visa?

Are those with work permits more available in Thailand?

I have a worldwide travel policy Gold cover issued for 12 months  in Novemenr 2019 by BOOTS travel services UK ,  called them today out of curiosity and they told me that before it was declared pandemic I  would have had cover   but NOW definitely NOT .