3BB FibreHome router bridge to Asus RT AC86U

phetphet

I have had my 3BB FibreHome router set to bridge mode and used my Asus RT AC86U as my main router for quite a while now.

Well I thought I had.

It definitely was for quite a while, but when I tried to access my Asus settings today, I found I was only getting my 3BB routers sign in page. This is where I found that "Bridge Mode" was turned off. I tried turning on again, but then lost internet.

It took Customer Service ages to get me back online, but despite trying from their end, they couldn't get my internet to work with their router  "Bridge mode" turned on.

So apart from being worried that I have no security, (stupid ISP's and their weak passwords),  I am wondering if there are any settings I need to check in the Asus router. The only thing that I did recently was update the firmware, and I am wondering if that might have changed  some settings.

Any advice on  what or where I should check? I presume that the Asus is just doing what it should do as a normal router, with the changes only being made on the 3BB router. Is that correct?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

If you only have the ASUS router (no other devices) attached directly to the 3BB router, you don't need to set the 3BB router to bridge mode.  An extra routing hop due to daisy chained Network Address Translation (NAT) routers will not be much of an issue.

• Like 1

option 1) Static IP in Asus router like 192.168.1.10 for Wan and DMZ from Fiberhome to that IP so it avoids double nat

option 2) get fiberhome router to bridge mode, it's not easy but it can be done if you search well enough. I shared a guide last october.

• Like 1

3BB came this morning.

Got me to change WAN connection type to PPPoE in Asus Router.

Add 3BB username and password to Account settings.

All seems to be working now.

I don't recall ever having to do this  before though.