Covid-19 mass exodus from Bangkok: Thousands pack Mo Chit bus station last night

webfact

5 hours ago, YetAnother said:

and then they are packed into buses for long bus rides; petri dish for virus

i saw this on TV, i also noticed that there was no hand sanitation offered prior to people as the boarded the buses.  where these buses fumigated prior to departure?  probably not. not the same safety standards performed by the airlines.  this is how most Thai's travel. sad

Edited by malibukid

4 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

i got to say one of the things trending on tweeter in Thai does not bode well right now. people are angry. 

i feel horrible for all these people. But I think for Thailand this has now defaulted to the "herd" approach. if you get sick, fine, deal with it. If you die, too bad.

i was told by a Thai friend today that this is not America.  the Thai government has told these people you are on your own.  the 1% does not care.  sad

• Like 2

so no jobs no money,even when they get back to the north and north east the drought unless we somehow get an early wet season[unlikley] no working in feilds,well,it should help clear the soi dogs up as soon they will be eating them,once there finished,well ,gosh look at granny sitting in the corner!

• Like 2

The point of a lockdown i.e. the one Malaysia is imposing, is to affect 'social distancing'. In simple English (or Thai, if someone cares to translate), it means STAY THE HELL HOME. Not go on a holiday. We can blame the people for not getting this, but the government is equally at fault for not educating the public.

• Like 1

I was at a public hospital in BKK yesterday for my wife's routine checkup appointment..

I couldn't believe they had about 100 people all turn up at  the same time huddled together for hours all waiting to see the same one doctor. Social distancing was impossible.

They even locked all access doors so people couldn't get in or out via building side exit doors..

All it would take is a little planning to stagger appointments, hire another doctor or two and a guard on each door allowing those with a stamp on their hand to re-enter. Its not rocket science but no one dare question authority here.

..Its lambs to the slaughter.

..meanwhile everyone is sat watching the TV in the waiting room with Auntin the health minister asking everyone to social distance... no one lifts an eyebrow..

..ridiculous.

• Like 1

(Un) intelligent Design

If I were a criminal mastermind (like Dr. Evil)  and wanted to design the perfect transmission mechanism to distribute a deadly virus throughout Thailand, I'd infect a few dozen Bangkok workers who have just lost their jobs and send them down to a bus station. Bingo. In less than 24 hours I could almost guarantee a village or town in every province would be infected.

Luckily, no one has thought of this....

4 minutes ago, A Los for words said:

(Un) intelligent Design

If I were a criminal mastermind (like Dr. Evil)  and wanted to design the perfect transmission mechanism to distribute a deadly virus throughout Thailand, I'd infect a few dozen Bangkok workers who have just lost their jobs and send them down to a bus station. Bingo. In less than 24 hours I could almost guarantee a village or town in every province would be infected.

Luckily, no one has thought of this....

Oh really??

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

If there's anyone in the neighborhood, can you pop over to Government House and check if there's actually anyone at home

The lights are still on but there's noone home.

1 hour ago, rtco said:

Was it that wearing masks, unless you have the virus, is not recommended ... WHO advice!

Today I ventured out to the local shopping mall (had my temp taken ... normal) and ever mother #$@%&* was wearing a mask ... it will not protect you!!!

Wash you bl@@dy hands for gods sake and keep at least 2-mtrs away from the next person.

Surely keeping away ( 2 mtrs ) from next in line at a checkout would be much the same as driving here, leave a gap and someone will step in.   Oh Lotus today , yep temp. taken , wash hands in disinfectant , come out , wash hands then push the cart by that dirty handle to the car ! Now I will have to disinfect the handles and steering wheel on my phekin Virus/ Vios.

5 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

What is not reported was that many/most of these travelers were leaving Thailand (foreign workers) due to border closure scheduled for today and no employment. 

leaving Thailand is good, coming to the provinces is bad especially if they are anywhere near my village

1 minute ago, toofarnorth said:

Surely keeping away ( 2 mtrs ) from next in line at a checkout would be much the same as driving here, leave a gap and someone will step in.   Oh Lotus today , yep temp. taken , wash hands in disinfectant , come out , wash hands then push the cart by that dirty handle to the car ! Now I will have to disinfect the handles and steering wheel on my phekin Virus/ Vios.

Now... who is at fault for contaminating the phekin Virus/ Vios? Thailand? Thai people? Lotus?

47 minutes ago, malibukid said:

i saw this on TV, i also noticed that there was no hand sanitation offered prior to people as the boarded the buses.  where these buses fumigated prior to departure?  probably not. not the same safety standards performed by the airlines.  this is how most Thai's travel. sad

Lets not talk about the toilets on the buses

5 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

everything in Thailand OK. Sure.

Grow up will you.

Tens of thousands of people could die in awful circumstances and you want to carry 

on your petty feud with someone who upset you on the internet.

You are pathetic.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

leaving Thailand is good, coming to the provinces is bad especially if they are anywhere near my village

Obviously, in my mind, it would have been much better to provide salary (paid leave) and let them stay in place - and it would likely have been cost effective to do so as pay would be going directly into the economy.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BestB said:

Great planning by the big heads. So massive outbreak is to be expected in the provinces. Then once BKK is contained all to return to bring back the virus.

Really really well planned and executed by the experts running the show .

if anything , Anutin should be nominated for Nobel awards 

I'd like to thank, the dirtiest farang of them all, "BestB" from the ThaiVisa forums for nominating me! Kabun Khrab.

6 hours ago, BestB said:

Great planning by the big heads. So massive outbreak is to be expected in the provinces. Then once BKK is contained all to return to bring back the virus.

More like the Darwin Awards!

6 hours ago, BestB said:

This should put arguments to rest as the effectiveness of the ''daydream team'.  Bangkok is secure general.  The 1% can now frolic openly.

3 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

I saw the picture and that was enough for me. I agree with many on this thread...disaster!

That may well be the outcome but it will be a global disaster , not unique to any one country.

“Very selfish” Britons have been criticised for failing to practise social distancing. Matt Hancock said on Monday that “nothing is off the table” when it comes to fighting coronavirus – suggesting that a curfew enforced by police was possible, in line with measures taken in other countries. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-latest-live-covid-cases-symptoms-map-uk-laws-lockdown-a9417446.html

Statement from a government that 3 weeks ago claimed to be fully prepared.

The provision of protective gear for NHS workers is improving, Matt Hancock has said, after widespread complaints that supplies were running thin.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-latest-live-covid-cases-symptoms-map-uk-laws-lockdown-a9417446.html

London tube operating as normal

"I'm being sent pictures of crush loaded platforms at some Jubilee line platforms this morning. Drivers and other front line staff are furious."

8 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

These people are not going on a holiday.

They are doing the only thing they can do now that they have no income at all - return to the provinces where at least they'll have shelter and some thing  to eat.  And also, unfortunately, often elderly relatives that they may infect.

I put this 100% on government. It was hardly unknown that there were many people from  the provinces living in Bangkok and getting by (barely - hand to mouth) on daily wages.  As soon as things started to shut down these people stopped being able to feed themselves. What on earth was it expected they would do?

Needed to have provided immediate financial relief for daily wage earners coupled with a shut down of train and bus stations.

In my GF's village, there is a parallel barter system. My GF swaps the mangoes and jackfruit she grows with her neighbor for bananas. He swaps bananas for a chicken ( the ones that keep me awake ) with another neighbor. Her brother grows frogs in a couple of septic tanks, and some will fish in the irrigation channel. The rice fields have lizards, snakes and frogs. Cash is not needed.

The ones returning at least will have some food and have the family bonds to fall back on. Stay in Bangkok with no money, and they'll starve.

• Like 1

And each and every one of those people getting on to a Bus, could potentially carry Covid 19 back to their Villages and Communities.

Communities where many of the inhabitants are Older Generation people, who also care for many of their grandchildren while the parents work away in Bangkok and such places. Communities where the Health care is much poorer than in the Cities

These are the people that are in the highest risk groups of Citizens in the Country, and all their loved ones can think of doing is to actually kill them through selfishness, ignorance and sheer stupidity.

I hope they can live with themselves after this.

7 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

everything in Thailand OK. Sure.

If you get stuck and everything goes to hell Keep this in mind just in case society does fall apart because I’ve had a lot of survival training 20 years ago and if we’re in total survival mode, boil water at 200 degrees Fahrenheit for at least 2 minutes and if there’s no power try to use cedar when selecting your wood burning for your rolling water boil because cedar burns hotter and gets water boiling at a roiling boil within two minutes if you’re being tested lol, and have to do it fast as in a school. But for boiling water use cedar if you can to start your fire. Use a metal pot if you don’t have a cover for your water pot tree bark makes a great cover because it will not burn. There is a crisis currently so everyone keep survival remedies in mind! So we can also keep order if things do go bad.