Blast At Major Ratchayothin

snowwhite

I heard a loud bang - like a transformer blast and saw a cloud of smoke rising from the backside of Major Ratchayothin about 15 - sorry, 25 - minutes ago.

Anyone have news on what the cause of the blast was or exactly where in Major it happened? I'm trying to get into bangkokpost.com and nationmultimedia.com forums for news, but I guess it's still too soon.

Nothing on Thai tv yet. :o

Edited by snowwhite

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nation News Channel:

A fruit seller (K. Gumtorn) on the news now is saying there was an explosion at a telephone booth by Major Ratchayothin.

Now a lady is talking about a black bag by the telephone booth that the unknown suspect placed near the taxi stop.

She's saying that the bomber probably didn't intend to hurt anyone, since it was placed there when Major was closing and the nearby market is closed on Mondays.

As far as I know now, it was like a flash bomb - just to make noise - and no one was hurt.

Edited by snowwhite

Bomb explosion at a Bangkok theatre

space.gif

Bomb explosion damaged public telephone booths and injured no one at a theatre on Monday night.

The blast destroyed three telephone booths in front of Major Cineplex Ratchayothin at about 11.30 pm. There was no report of injuries. The theatre was one of ten targets attacked by bomb explosion on New Year's Eve.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...newsid=30031560

A bomb explosion damaged public telephone booths, but injured no one at a theatre on Monday night.

The blast destroyed three telephone booths in front of Major Cineplex Ratchayothin at about 11.30 pm. There was no report of injuries. The theatre was one of ten targets attacked by bomb explosion on New Year's Eve.

- The Nation

Shit, this is unreal, reminds me of London and the IRA, glad no one was hurt, but lets hope no more activity is seen over the holiday period.....

John, sorry, I read your post too quickly, you say this is one of ten? <deleted>? Where are the other nine? And any injuries?

Edited by solent01

Shit, this is unreal, reminds me of London and the IRA, glad no one was hurt, but lets hope no more activity is seen over the holiday period.....

John, sorry, I read your post too quickly, you say this is one of ten? <deleted>? Where are the other nine? And any injuries?

No, he said it was one of ten targets originally attacked on New Year's Eve.

Last New Year's Eve, Bangkok was hit by ten bombs throughout the city. This cinema, Major Cineplex Ratchayothin, was one of those 10 bombing sites.

Last night, only this cinema was bombed.

That was on last New Years' Eve.

LaoPo

A bomb explosion damaged public telephone booths, but injured no one at a theatre on Monday night.

- The Nation

I was thinking Thai, this being Thai new years and all, thought you was saying something else, but this is still so wrong, <deleted>, all we can do is carry on as normal, don't let the bastards get us down.

- The Nation

I was thinking Thai, this being Thai new years and all, thought you was saying something else, but this is still so wrong, <deleted>, all we can do is carry on as normal, don't let the bastards get us down.

And nothing on their website this morning. Amazing Thailand!

Gimme a break, this was just a prank by teenagers.

This stuff happens back home all the time.

Oh..... OK then, no problem, just teenies being <deleted> then I guess, where is your home exactly?

Ontario, Canada.

Most likely kids setting off a pipe bomb. Did you see the damage. Practically none.

When you see a bomb rip open a packed skytrain, then worry.

Until then...

- The Nation

And nothing on their website this morning. Amazing Thailand!

Overnight news is often slow to get much reported on in the English-language newspapers, but:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...newsid=30031560

nothing yet at Bangkok Post

Gimme a break, this was just a prank by teenagers.

This stuff happens back home all the time.

Oh..... OK then, no problem, just teenies being <deleted> then I guess, where is your home exactly?

Ontario, Canada.

Most likely kids setting off a pipe bomb. Did you see the damage. Practically none.

When you see a bomb rip open a packed skytrain, then worry.

Until then...

No disrespect, but I was brought up with bombs and mass murder of the public, being British and remembering the IRA, with all the problems our communities went through (British and Irish suffered) glad we got that sorted out, but yes, you could be right, well, lets hope so anyway.

Edit to add that I am not naive, and thinking that it was just one sided

Edited by solent01

This is a little disconcerting. I hope the powers-that-be will start doing unbiased investigations and find the culprits. You really can't deal with your enemy unless you know who your enemy is.

I just loged on can,t sleep here in Scotland and see this thank god nobody was hurt or killed this time and it was only one bomb you can not say what is happening in Thailand is anything like the troubles in Ireland the IRA killed lot more savage and violent in its tactics, the chances of kids blowing up the same telephonebooths as in the New Year no chance it is the same bombers from New Year they are letting the thai goverment know it is not over :D:o:D

News coverage going international now:

bombing.jpg

A Thai police officer, left, talks on a mobile phone as he guards the site where a bomb exploded late Monday, in Bangkok, Thailand Tuesday, April 10, 2007. No one was hurt in the blast outside the Major Cineplex Ratchayothin shopping complex, the same location where one of ten bombs exploded on New Year's Eve.

Associated Press

I just loged on can,t sleep here in Scotland and see this thank god nobody was hurt or killed this time and it was only one bomb you can not say what is happening in Thailand is anything like the troubles in Ireland the IRA killed lot more savage and violent in its tactics, the chances of kids blowing up the same telephonebooths as in the New Year no chance it is the same bombers from New Year they are letting the thai goverment know it is not over :D:o:D

Mr H, I was using that as an example of what some of us Brits have been through, not as an example of what is happening, but the fact remains, no matter where your from, this shit is getting more frequent, what is going on with our world????

Ok lets take a look at the pieces of the puzzle here.

New years eve bombs:

New government looking popular for the most part.

Thaksin silent for a long time.

TRT looking to be on shaky ground.

No spikes in activity in the south.

April 9 bomb:

New government strong for the most part. Only a very vocal small group of protesters trying to appear much bigger. Any negatives comes from appearing to be slow and lethargic.

Several very solid cases against Thaksin and family coming to a head.

PTV / TRT / Thaksin rallies dwindling as people begin to realize they are just being used and may be partaking in what may be viewed as anti-country and disrespect for the Kings wishes.

Many of Thaksin’s inner circle indited or on the verge of indictment.

Thaksin silent for an unusually long period of time as compared to recent weeks.

No spikes in activity in the south.

Although I have not checked a map yet but the move of the TRT to Rama 3 road is further from the scene just hours before the bomb. Although this is far fetched as the move was planed several weeks ago, it is very Thaksin like to not be at or near the scene.

In short a another piece of the puzzle has been added and it tends to point towards Thaksin and TRT as the bombers. Arrogance is falling on deaf ears so the next level involves something physical.