British travellers advised to return to the UK now

4 hours ago, brommers said:

Who in their right mind would go back to the UK! A population of selfish, panic buying idiots who cannot see that doing just how they please is jeopardizing the health of many others. And as for those who attack ambulances and the cars of health workers there are no words of contempt strong enough.

NHS will negate most objections. You simply cannot beat the British healthcare system.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

And pay for a hotel for a month and other expenses with stricter lockdown now then there?

Just listened to Mr. Johnson this morn. Sounds like most countries are adopting the lockdown model.

4 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

And pay for a hotel for a month and other expenses with stricter lockdown now then there?

Rent a Condo for a month is far cheaper than a Hotel. The months price of a hotel would allow you to stay for 6 months in a Condo. I rent a house for a year and it is cheaper for me for 3 months stay than a hotel. With my flight cancelled I am happy to stay rather than return to the UK. The UKs FAKE PM trying to pose like a FAKE American President is letting everything get out of control. He is the one who said he would get things done. Instead we GOT DONE! He was the one who was going to build 1 hospital a week for Brexit. He hasn't built 1 in 5 months.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, twix38 said:

Yes. Far better to return to uk.

I would be concerned if I got it in Thailand at the level of care and expertise  in Thai hospital. I have had many visits for different issues and regularly been dismayed at the competence and treatment. Then there's the potential cost!

I am back in UK and feel much better. Really relieved. However this plays out, I have seen enough to know Thailand does not react appropriately or give a level of confidence were the 5hit to hit the fan. Thank God I got out before it ramps up in Thailand! 

If I get it I am so thankful it will not be in Thailand!

Best of luck to all concerned. Funny how perspectives vary. Well documented that Thailand offers world class medical care. Certainly, my heart attack here in a Chiang Mai and the care given at Chiang Mai Ram was excellent. But, I am an American and so, perhaps, that colors my thinking being the only developed nation without a national healthcare program.

4 hours ago, twix38 said:

Yes. Far better to return to uk.

I would be concerned if I got it in Thailand at the level of care and expertise  in Thai hospital. I have had many visits for different issues and regularly been dismayed at the competence and treatment. Then there's the potential cost!

I am back in UK and feel much better. Really relieved. However this plays out, I have seen enough to know Thailand does not react appropriately or give a level of confidence were the 5hit to hit the fan. Thank God I got out before it ramps up in Thailand! 

If I get it I am so thankful it will not be in Thailand!

So why do you still feel the need to come and post on the forum?

• Like 2

Its easy to tell people to go home but from what I hear, not so easy to do. As far as I can make out, most flights out are either full or cancelled - Etihad and Emirates stopping flying tomorrow and Etihad are showing no flights available tomorrow.  The cheapest one way flight from Bangkok to Manchester that I could find tomorrow was £929 on multiple airlines - one flying through Hong Kong which I believe is doubtful because as far as I know, Hong Kong has stopped all foreigners from entering including transit passengers.  I suspect that many of the flights showing as available will encounter similar problems or not actually be available when you try.

Hong Kong bans all arrivals

Announced just this morning, Hong Kong is banning the arrival of all visitors to the city, including those wishing to transit through Hong Kong International Airport. In a bid to prevent the further spread of the novel coronavirus that causes COVID-19, the nation has announced a complete bar on foreigners arriving in the country.

https://simpleflying.com/government-transit-bans/

I'm back in the UK now and although I worry about my wife, I'm probably in the best place. If I fall sick here I will be treated. Some healthcare in Thailand is good but it comes at a cost.  Some of us either can't get health insurance due to pre-existing conditions or are quoted exhorbitant prices where it is available - even though the pre-existing conditions are excluded.  Pre Corona I was quoted 10 x the normal premium and excluding my pre-exisiting condition, I am no more likley to get sick than the rest of you.

The lockdown here is draconian, we were not given any notice whatsoever - no time to get your sh*t together but I understand why it was done.  For me, the UK is the best place to be and I can probably help my wife more from here than if I was in Thailand.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Max69xl said:
12 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

by permanent resident i assume they means non-immigrant status, elite or PR

Yes, I think they mean everyone with at least annual extensions. 

PR is Permanent Residence granted to someone who has become a legal immigrant of a foreign country There's a formal procedure to obtain this in Thailand and it's not a visa or an extension of stay.

Tourist visa are for tourists ie, non-immigrant.

Elite visa is non-immigrant.

Non-B, Non-O and extensions thereof neither infer or confer Thai Permanent Residence status. That's why they are called "Non" It's short for Non-immigrant.

im·mi·grant
/ˈiməɡrənt/

noun
noun: immigrant; plural noun: immigrants
  1. a person who comes to live permanently in a foreign country.
    "they found it difficult to expel illegal immigrants"

I reckon @DannyCarlton will be gutted.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, WhereIsMyRyeBread said:

6,000 cases in the U.K, 600 cases in Thailand. 'Quick hurry back home to safety'

Do you believe the Thai figures?

They just had a mass exodus from Bkk at Morchit bus station. Potential viral spread nationwide by the bus load.

• Haha 1

From what I see of Euro visitor/tourists here in Phuket, they’re apparent migration to Phuket in the last weeks (I see lots of new faces around my locale every week), and the almost complete disregard for any safety measures by them which are suggested to slow and stem the spread of Covid (all

nationalities) ... I’ll be glad to see as many leave and as soon as possible.

Ill say it again; if the strain of Covid that has hit Italy comes here then a lot, a lot of people are going to die and a great many of them will be catching it from Europeans that continue to come here despite being advised for the safety of all not to travel.

while I’m ranting what sort if person other than a bloody narcissistic egotist travels around Thailand at this time vlogging on uTube about their travels ... for Gods sake!!!

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

From what I see of Euro visitor/tourists here in Phuket, they’re apparent migration to Phuket in the last weeks (I see lots of new faces around my locale every week), and the almost complete disregard for any safety measures by them which are suggested to slow and stem the spread of Covid (all

nationalities) ... I’ll be glad to see as many leave and as soon as possible.

Ill say it again; if the strain of Covid that has hit Italy comes here then a lot, a lot of people are going to die and a great many of them will be catching it from Europeans that continue to come here despite being advised for the safety of all not to travel.

while I’m ranting what sort if person other than a bloody narcissistic egotist travels around Thailand at this time vlogging on uTube about their travels ... for Gods sake!!!

The only thing slightly more annoying are the propagators of the 'Italian strain' myth.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DaRoadrunner said:

I certainly don't believe the Thai figures. On figures in general, a lot of people on various forums, facebook etc. are comparing figures country to country.  Every country is testing differently at the moment so its hard to compare. Sadly, the only figure that is probably accurate is that of the amount of deaths (not the % of deaths).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Dominic Raab responded to an urgent question in the House of Commons on how government is supporting British people who are abroad during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Coronavirus (COVID-19): Foreign Secretary's statement on support for British people abroad

Which states:- 

Mr Speaker, we have Foreign & Commonwealth Office staff in all our 280 posts in 168 countries and 10 overseas territories. And they are working around the clock to respond to this global pandemic.”

<deleted>. (They won’t let me post what I think of our British Embassy).

The Brit Embassy have informed us that the last commercial flights will be leaving soon.... (After which you are on your own).

Edited by DaRoadrunner
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

The Brit Embassy have informed us that the last commercial flights will be leaving soon.... (After which you are on your own).

Sounds like the UK will be suspending all inbound flights .................didnt really want to go back anyway .

See you on the other-side of this ????

• Like 2

14 hours ago, eddibabyyeah said:

Great comment GEORGECROSS. Like that matters.

Why would the British government give a T0ss what your visa is. If you want to go home go. If you want to stay and argue that they didnt make it clear in their instructions, then maybe you are better where you are. 

Well said

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

As far as I know, this forum is open to both residents of Thailand and those living in all other countries.

Smart answer, I think you know what I mean.

People come on here daily making adverse comments (some actually have merit) . Really wonder why someone living on the other side of the world feels the need and come on here and tell everybody about how everything is wrong. Can only guess they much going on in their lives.

Me, I quite like many other countries I've visited, but never felt the need to join a forum and tell people about how bad everything is.

Anyway, each to their own I guess? ????

12 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Have you no faith in Boris Johnson?

Do you believe it's a coincidence Covid19 just happened to spring out of Wuhan? A city which just happens to have one of China's foremost institutes of virology when there are some 400+ cities in China?  Chances are Johnson is afraid to stir the bat soup like anyone else. 

Edited by WhereIsMyRyeBread

Classic quote from incompetent British Embassy officials ........... no help whatsoever. Leave Thailand now before you become our problem! ........... actual fact as there is none here! I've been living here nearly 20yrs & have witnessed all the shortfalls of embassy staff here, which do not take care of the needs of anyone who is a British Citizen. It's pathetic service to expatriates also is appalling & any excuse to do absolutely nothing. I wonder what they do all day, probably a lot less now they have no garden for lavish parties to continue spending taxpayers hard-earned cash.. What a waste of "Taxpayers Money" that the UK government squanders on these so called diplomatic officials ....... it's a real joke. They serve no purpose whatsoever here & should just go home! Most people's needs are available on the internet & once the forms etc. have been downloaded & filled in mailed to either Hong Kong or direct to the UK. 

Perhaps tourists think they exist to assist where it is needed, but their staff are incompetent & normally used "a locally recruited" embassy official, who incidentally is normally an expat! Talk about "Dad"s Army" ............. no wonder they have no clout here & seen as a joke. Time's up I think .......... the British Ambassador here & his staff should go home ............. 'cos we're staying!!! 

• Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, WhereIsMyRyeBread said:

some of my vendors are in Phnom Penh , out of curiosity. Do most private companies/offices with a staff remain open for business at time of writing?

Dude Im in Siem, but was in PP on Monday, the garment factories were open, couldnt say more than that. But the streets were very quiet and I hear the RLD is shut down.

15 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

They just had a mass exodus from Bkk at Morchit bus station. Potential viral spread nationwide by the bus load.

But do you know OF anyone who knows OF anyone who has the symptoms. Yes I know it is possible to be asymptomatic, but I do not know of anyone and I have not spoken to anyone who does. 

I agree that the figures are puzzling, but it is impossible to hide symptoms that have been as well publicised as these.