"O" Visa Application, Chiang Mai has their own rules.

I previously had an O-A visa, and used the income method to extend 5 times.  To avoid the health insurance requirement, I have been planning to convert to an O-Visa.  Last week I returned to Thailand from the USA after exiting without a re-entry permit (so as to kill off the O-A visa).  I entered last Friday on a 30 day exempt.  I carefully assembled the paperwork needed as outlined at this link:

https://division1.immigration.go.th/download/1551323081128.pdf

I went to Chiang Mai immigration today.  After waiting over 1 hour in the queue, I reached the front desk only to be told that Chiang Mai has their own requirements, which I have attached.  The main differences:  1. Blue ink only!  2. two copies of all documents 3. Income method not allowed, must have either letter from embassy, or 800,000 baht in the bank (this one may make me leave Thailand) 4. TM30 receipt.

Only other option I was given was to leave the country and apply for the O Visa (can't be US, they do not offer an O visa).  Since this is not a good time to be traveling, this is probably not an option.  In a word, I am f****d.  

Chiang Mai Rules.pdf

13 hours ago, bprhodes said:

...I returned to Thailand from the USA

3. Income method not allowed...

If you are a US national the fact that your immigration office did not allow the income method is of no relevance because you are unable to meet the following requirement listed in the document to which you linked:

A letter of guarantee from the local or overseas
Embassy or Consulate that proving the monthly
pension of the Applicant not less than Baht 65,000
per month (together with reference documents
showing the source of monthly pension pension)

I understand that the US embassy in Bangkok refuses to provide this letter of proof of monthly pension.

3 hours ago, tonray said:

Have you transferred 65000 baht for 12 months into your Thai bank account ?

When applying for the Non Imm O - retirement Visa, and using the 65K monthly-income transfer method, there is no need for 12 months of transfers.  Only one transfer would do (and you would have to have at least 2 transfers when applying subsequently for the 1-year extension).

However, at Chiang-Mai immigration they insist that when using the 65K monthly-income transfer method that you also provide a pension-statement as proof of your income, as well as an embassy income-statement.

Since the US, UK and Australian embassies do not issue such income-statements anymore, this means that those citizens can only use the 800K money-in-bank method when applying at the CM IO for the Non Imm O - retirement Visa.

Note: When applying in a foreign thai consulate (e.g. Savannakhet) using the 65K monthly-income transfer method, there is no need for such embassy-issued letter, but you would need a pension statement (which when not meeting the 65K monthly tresshold, can be combined with the money-in-bank method for the remainder).

Edited by Peter Denis
  • Like 1

I suggest you go back and try again. I assume you cannot get a letter from your embassy to prove you income.

How many transfers of at least 65 k baht do you have to show?

They are using a list of required documents that are well over a year out of date

since the proof of income police order was issued that allows monthly transfer to prove you income. 

Since it is a emergency situation here maybe you convince them they are wrong by reminding them that they are allowed for extension applications. Other office have allowed people to apply using monthly transfers.

Explain to them that there is no where you can go to get the non-o visa due to the corvid 19 pandemic.

Maybe a letter from you embassy requesting they assist you would help. 

An alternative option could be to move temporarily to a near-by province where the local IO does follow the IO rules/regulations (which means NOT requiring the embassy-statement when applying using the monthly-income transfer method) and apply there for the 90-day Non Imm O - retirement Visa.

But be aware that doing so also requires that you would have to apply at that same IO for the 1-year extension of stay. 

Once you have that extension of stay you could move back to Chiang_mai province.

Note: The move does not need to be an actual re-location, just ensure that your official place of stay is in the other province while actually residing in CM.