Urgent notice: outstanding UK Passport collections from VFS

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I contacted the passport dept and they would not send my daughter's passport back to my personal address in Thailand.

It has to be sent to Bangkok

Why can't they be more flexible in these times of great uncertainty??

Extremely annoying as it's her first passport so no problems regarding the voiding of an old one

I am in the same boat as some of you guys. I submitted my passport for renewal with VFS in Chiang Mai at the beginning of March 2020. I have been in touch with the HMPO via the Government website and received the following reply. 

Dear Mr.

Thank you for your email about the status of your British passport application.

In response to the latest coronavirus measures relating to social distancing and necessary travel, HM Passport Office has reduced its staffing levels to ensure that these measures are followed. Applications will take longer than usual. Please do not book travel without a valid passport.

Standard applications do not have a guaranteed service standard, and we are unable to confirm how long applications will take at this current time. We are sorry for any inconvenience that this may cause you.

The passport office will be in touch if they require any additional information.

If you applied online, you can continue to track your application here.

Regards,

Customer Service Email Team

So there you have it and make of it what you will.

I.D.

Hi there/.

has anybody heard anymore information about collecting passports yet from VFS?

Since they closed now?

i have emailed every department  i can of VFS i can, not heard anything back yet? properly nothing yet as UK holiday weekend Easter holidays there!

my new passport was due back on the 2nd (over a week ago).

I NEED to organize my yearly visa extension soon? maybe i can tell immigration no passport due to VFS closing? haha!  -

This is not helpful to us by closing down a service that we all need to stay in a foreign Country without support?

lets hope they open to issue passports already applied for soon

becareful and stay safe!

cheers

@Martinpeter - Did you read the original post?

You must collect your passport by 3.30pm Tuesday 31 March.

The UK Passport Application Centre is now closed for applications. If your passport has still not been returned from the UK, the current advice is that you will have to wait until the VFS Passport Application Centre reopens to collect your passport.

I suspect there's no point emailing every VFS department, there's nobody available to help you, maybe look at the UK Embassy's social media sites.

On 3/30/2020 at 9:33 PM, samsensam said:

if you dont want to travel internationally then fine, if you do most countries require at least six months validity as a condition of entry. nothing wrong with being organised and renewing early, i did and the remaining validity of my old passport was added to my new one.

"If your passport’s expired, you must renew it before you can travel. You can renew your passport at any time.

Time left on your old passport will not be added to your new one."

https://www.gov.uk/renew-adult-passport/renew

Looks like things have changed since you last renewed.

5 hours ago, nahkit said:

"If your passport’s expired, you must renew it before you can travel. You can renew your passport at any time.

Time left on your old passport will not be added to your new one."

https://www.gov.uk/renew-adult-passport/renew

Looks like things have changed since you last renewed.

my current passport has not expired yet?

you must have validity of 1 year left on your passport when you do a visa extension here now or you only the same months extension?

if passport left 6 months, you only get extension for 6 months? THATS WHY I AM TRYING TO GET A NEW PASSPORT! VISA EXTENSION! NOT TRAVEL?

CHEERS

6 hours ago, theoldgit said:

I suspect there's no point emailing every VFS department, there's nobody available to help you, maybe look at the UK Embassy's social media sites.

Yes, my passport wouldn't be ready till the 2nd of April? after closer date?

59 minutes ago, Martinpeter said:

my current passport has not expired yet?

you must have validity of 1 year left on your passport when you do a visa extension here now or you only the same months extension?

if passport left 6 months, you only get extension for 6 months? THATS WHY I AM TRYING TO GET A NEW PASSPORT! VISA EXTENSION! NOT TRAVEL?

CHEERS

I was specifically replying to post #19, which is why I quoted post #19.

20 minutes ago, Martinpeter said:

Yes, my passport wouldn't be ready till the 2nd of April? after closer date?

Don't forget that you can’t travel with the passport you're renewing once you’ve applied for a new one - but you can use your existing passport for ID purposes.

8 hours ago, Martinpeter said:

i have emailed every department  i can of VFS i can, not heard anything back yet? properly nothing yet as UK holiday weekend Easter holidays there!

I suggest you use the online passport enquiries form. You will find the details you should include in the enquiry and also the link to the form on this page:

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-passport-office/about/complaints-procedurehttps://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-passport-office/about/complaints-procedure

On 4/7/2020 at 5:54 AM, ImageDude said:

I am in the same boat as some of you guys. I submitted my passport for renewal with VFS in Chiang Mai at the beginning of March 2020. I have been in touch with the HMPO via the Government website and received the following reply. 

Dear Mr.

In response to the latest coronavirus measures relating to social distancing and necessary travel, HM Passport Office has reduced its staffing levels to ensure that these measures are followed. Applications will take longer than usual. Please do not book travel without a valid passport.

Standard applications do not have a guaranteed service standard, and we are unable to confirm how long applications will take at this current time. We are sorry for any inconvenience that this may cause you.

The passport office will be in touch if they require any additional information.

Regards,

I.D.

Me too. I used an agent as I could not travel to BKK. I think they submitted the application at VFS BKK between March 16-24th. I contacted HMPO via the form, had a few replies, and the final response was as you posted above, although they did add I should contact with them again next week (edit: they said they found no record of my application). I did get my 'old' passport sent back to me when I asked the agent to do so. I need a renewal for visa purposes (it's nearly full + expires Dec. 2020), not travel. The agent says there is no application reference number, I haven't seen a receipt or any proof of application - did you get one?

1 hour ago, TenDreams said:

Me too. I used an agent as I could not travel to BKK. I think they submitted the application at VFS BKK between March 16-24th. I contacted HMPO via the form, had a few replies, and the final response was as you posted above, although they did add I should contact with them again next week (edit: they said they found no record of my application). I did get my 'old' passport sent back to me when I asked the agent to do so. I need a renewal for visa purposes (it's nearly full + expires Dec. 2020), not travel. The agent says there is no application reference number, I haven't seen a receipt or any proof of application - did you get one?

No I didn't get an application number. When I contacted the agent they just sent me a word doc. which contained the appointment time and date for VFS Global. The appointment was for the 10th March. So presumably that is when the the agent submitted my application. Hopefully, with the falling numbers in Covid-19 cases VFS will get back to work soon and sort out the backlog. Fingers crossed.

On 3/31/2020 at 9:06 AM, OJAS said:

HMPO have devised an online passport renewal system, of which they are now encouraging the use from practically every country on this great planet of ours - with the notable exception of (surprise, surprise) Thailand!

I clicked the link for online passport renewal and Thailand appears in the country drop-down list so maybe they are now allowing online passport renewal from here?

I didn't try going through the whole process, just selected Thailand and it took me to the next page in the process.

56 minutes ago, nahkit said:

I didn't try going through the whole process, just selected Thailand and it took me to the next page in the process.

If you had gone further in the process you would have been told that you had to make an appointment at, and visit, Trendy building in Asoke to submit your application.

It doesn't advise you that the office is closed to new applicants.

2 hours ago, theoldgit said:

If you had gone further in the process you would have been told that you had to make an appointment at, and visit, Trendy building in Asoke to submit your application.

It doesn't advise you that the office is closed to new applicants.

so rather than an online application process its more like an online appointment process.

My agent in Bangkok was told by VFS some 2 weeks ago that new passports "in the pipeline" would be sent back to VFS and could be collected from VFS in the usual way, since they would have a skeleton staff.

Posts above and elsewhere seem to suggest that VFS is closed in its entirety

Can anyone advise the true position please?

On 4/7/2020 at 5:54 AM, ImageDude said:

Dear Mr.

Regards,

I.D.

Typically generalised HMPO hogwash which is spectacular in its abject failure to make any attempt to deal with the specific issues currently facing those of us here in Thailand who are in imminent (or, indeed, urgent) need of replacement passports, I think!

On 4/11/2020 at 8:31 AM, theoldgit said:

But what I would find worrying if I were @Martinpeter and others who, like him, are still awaiting replacement passports is that DHL might only make a certain number of attempts to deliver these to the Marie Celestes that are currently the VFS offices in Bangkok and Chiang Mai before eventually giving up and returning these to HMPO in the UK as undeliverable.

The updated advice published today helpfully says:

"British nationals abroad who need to apply for a passport

If your country‘s VAC is closed, you won’t be able to apply for a British passport. If you urgently need to travel to the UK, you can apply for an emergency travel document"

It doesn't advise what applicants who are waiting for their new passports to be delivered should do, however visa applicants have been supplied with this email address [email protected]

19 minutes ago, rupert the bear said:

they need to go backto basics,corona or no corona,it worked well before at the embassy when issued there ,respect the tax payer and citizen and this vfs scam is exactly that,no service, expensive and extremely rude.perhaps that should be our response to all things embassy

Hard to disagree with your underlying sentiments, I think.

3 hours ago, theoldgit said:

The updated advice published today helpfully says:

"British nationals abroad who need to apply for a passport

If your country‘s VAC is closed, you won’t be able to apply for a British passport. If you urgently need to travel to the UK, you can apply for an emergency travel document"

It doesn't advise what applicants who are waiting for their new passports to be delivered should do, however visa applicants have been supplied with this email address [email protected]

The recipient address  is [email protected]   NO full stop after .com.

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

Typically generalised HMPO hogwash which is spectacular in its abject failure to make any attempt to deal with the specific issues currently facing those of us here in Thailand who are in imminent (or, indeed, urgent) need of replacement passports, I think!

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

But what I would find worrying if I were @Martinpeter and others who, like him, are still awaiting replacement passports is that DHL might only make a certain number of attempts to deliver these to the Marie Celestes that are currently the VFS offices in Bangkok and Chiang Mai before eventually giving up and returning these to HMPO in the UK as undeliverable.

Hi i finally got a letter today from HM Passport Office dated 2nd of April

some 2 weeks later about my application! (passport) was due to be issued

Usual words we are working on your application?but cannot confirm when a passport will be issued now?

We apologise for any inconvenience caused!

The best bit? read?

To help use ensure that our services can be accessed by those that need them most during this period, PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT US TO CHECK ON PROGRESS OF YOUR APPLICATION.

from the passport office! service manager!

I am not in need of their services or not? now, i need a new passport! for my visa, to be legal in this Country?

1 hour ago, Martinpeter said:

Hi i finally got a letter today from HM Passport Office dated 2nd of April

some 2 weeks later about my application! (passport) was due to be issued

Usual words we are working on your application?but cannot confirm when a passport will be issued now?

We apologise for any inconvenience caused!

The best bit? read?

To help use ensure that our services can be accessed by those that need them most during this period, PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT US TO CHECK ON PROGRESS OF YOUR APPLICATION.

from the passport office! service manager!

I am not in need of their services or not? now, i need a new passport! for my visa, to be legal in this Country?

You should be receiving your email "satisfaction survey" anytime soon.

On 4/15/2020 at 5:11 PM, Tony M said:

You should be receiving your email "satisfaction survey" anytime soon.

Or maybe @Martinpeter will receive something along the following lines, as contained in the latest piece of nonsense I've received from HMPO:

If you are unhappy with our service, or, the advice that has been provided to you by HM Passport Office so far, then you can raise an official complaint via the following contact email address; [email protected]

Red rags and bulls sprung immediately to my mind!

14 minutes ago, blackcab said:

@Martinpeter

Has HMPO deducted the fee from your payment card? It's the first thing they do when processing an application.

It will be listed as, "HM PASSPORT OFFICE" on your statement.

Yes they have taken the money off my cc already!

my appointment was at VFS on the 12th March and they took the money on the 17th March already!

they told me applications would take about 3 weeks? ok, they closed on the 31st March, my passport would hopefully been ready about 2 days later (around 2nd April).

I Have received a letter dated 2nd April? but nothing really mentioned in it?

"We will continue to work on your application, however we are unable to confirm when a passport will be issued if your application is successful".   

(Previous posts above).

I am happy with the service so far from VFS, but I NEED a Passport to extend my visa soon?

I will show my letter/receipt to Thai Immigration when i go soon? (Using my current passport - still valid), hopefully they will take into account this when i extend my yearly visa! at present i can only extend my visa with my current passport validity of less than 12 months left! so i will not get a 1 year extension then!

I am glad i applied for my new passport early now! (even earlier would have been even better).

lets keep it civil on here chaps!

please becareful and take care , during these trying times!

Archived