Urgent notice: outstanding UK Passport collections from VFS

2 minutes ago, ImageDude said:

I sent my passport via DHL Courier service and it was received and signed for yesterday 4th May. So obviously someone is there. Whether they are actually dealing with passport renewals other than emergency ones, I have no clue. I just have to sit it out and wait now.

Sorry to sound dumb but you said that you submitted your application through VfS in Chiang Mai in March.

If I understand that correctly, why was your old passport required ?

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, hotandsticky said:

Sorry to sound dumb but you said that you submitted your application through VfS in Chiang Mai in March.

Check the whole thread, you will discover the answer.

I contacted Customer care at Liverpool Passport office, yesterday! they sent me a reply also yesterday!

My new passport is in final checking now! they had my application from the 17th of March already!

they will email + return new passport to VFS Bangkok for collection a.s.e.p?

VFS Will contact you back shortly! - (I hope so).

So my understanding delays also with Liverpool in doing passports as well!

I presume VFS Bangkok will return to work now! after today! no reason why not to do!

wait and see what happens?

cheers

On 5/5/2020 at 12:17 PM, Martinpeter said:

I contacted Customer care at Liverpool Passport office, yesterday! they sent me a reply also yesterday!

My new passport is in final checking now! they had my application from the 17th of March already!

I presume VFS Bangkok will return to work now! after today! no reason why not to do!

cheers

I think you are being too optimistic - VFS   clearly said the last date for collection was 31 March - after that date you will have to wait till the office reopens. On the VFS Global site they  are still closing centers  on 5 May so I see no imminent opening yet. HMPO are working with limited staff and your application was probably sent 10 or 11 March. So over 2 months and they have not done it yet. If they sent it tomorrow it will probably arrive next week. DHL will find VFS closed and they will take it back to there office I suppose. VFS when they open will have to go and collect it. Realistically we are looking at 3 months - minimum, to renew a passport.  HMPO will not be pushing whoever in GOV UK tells VFS to reopen. They cannot deal with the ones they have. Since the cancellation of the 'add 9 months' rule people are leaving renewals till later - not till the last minute obviously that would be foolish, but the '6 month validity' for entry in some countries will affect people sooner rather than later.

Visa cancellations whilst very inconvenient to those affected is not essential. Passport renewal is. That is what HMPO stated when trying to get there staff back to work. If it is essential there then it is here too.

14 hours ago, pontious said:

I think you are being too optimistic - VFS   clearly said the last date for collection was 31 March - after that date you will have to wait till the office reopens. On the VFS Global site they  are still closing centers  on 5 May so I see no imminent opening yet. HMPO are working with limited staff and your application was probably sent 10 or 11 March. So over 2 months and they have not done it yet. If they sent it tomorrow it will probably arrive next week. DHL will find VFS closed and they will take it back to there office I suppose. VFS when they open will have to go and collect it. Realistically we are looking at 3 months - minimum, to renew a passport.  HMPO will not be pushing whoever in GOV UK tells VFS to reopen. They cannot deal with the ones they have. Since the cancellation of the 'add 9 months' rule people are leaving renewals till later - not till the last minute obviously that would be foolish, but the '6 month validity' for entry in some countries will affect people sooner rather than later.

Visa cancellations whilst very inconvenient to those affected is not essential. Passport renewal is. That is what HMPO stated when trying to get there staff back to work. If it is essential there then it is here too.

This is getting to be beyond a joke now, they took out the passport cash on 12th March and still waiting.

Surely they can organise a way of getting passports straight to people's Thai addresses?

5 hours ago, Canuck1966 said:

This is getting to be beyond a joke now, they took out the passport cash on 12th March and still waiting.

Surely they can organise a way of getting passports straight to people's Thai addresses?

It seems from the website that The British Embassy in Bangkok is pretty much working normally (So why aren't VSF Global???). Yesterday I tried to enlist the help of the British Embassy Bangkok to find a solution to what has become a massive problem for us. As I expected I was given a bunch of links, of which, none were relevant or useful to this situation. I was just fobbed off going round in circles until I was dizzy. Frustration and anger, do not even begin to describe how I felt. I have given up trying before it makes me ill. I am just going to sit on my ar5e and wait it out as my head hurts from continuously banging it against a brick wall! Peace.

21 minutes ago, ImageDude said:

It seems from the website that The British Embassy in Bangkok is pretty much working normally (So why aren't VSF Global???). Yesterday I tried to enlist the help of the British Embassy Bangkok to find a solution to what has become a massive problem for us. As I expected I was given a bunch of links, of which, none were relevant or useful to this situation. I was just fobbed off going round in circles until I was dizzy. Frustration and anger, do not even begin to describe how I felt. I have given up trying before it makes me ill. I am just going to sit on my ar5e and wait it out as my head hurts from continuously banging it against a brick wall! Peace.

Your case is quite disgraceful. That both HMPO  and  BE are giving no support on a matter that leaves your personal safety in Thailand at risk is an absolute nonsense.

I have been following this thread with incredulity and note that an earlier poster (now strikingly MIA) was insistent that HMPO, once reminded of the special circumstances of passport retention issues in Thailand, noted that 'would have saved a lot of bother'. Almost as if the blame was yours for not realising that HMPO are staffed by a bunch of you know whats, who need reminding of a rule that should be quickly located and understood. But, to compound the idiocy, completely ignore the rationale behind that clearly laid out rule and still insist upon the old passport being despatched.  WTH!!

Then, the BE moves into their usual, couldn't give a F mode. That I know too well from the Income Letter saga. Still painful to me, and no doubt many others, due to ongoing cost and hassle issues.

The current Ambo seems to be keen to present himself, via video, as the caring, sharing image of the UK diplomatic corps. But, as usual, the expression 'all fur coat and no knickers' comes to mind...... Not having any passport available in Thailand in these troubled times should have fired up some meaningful response. What an absolute shower. 

Apols for the rant but I can't imagine what my  state of mind would be should I have been in your position. Initially I would have considered the virus issue as a clear mitigating circumstance but recent actions by the main players have kicked that well into touch.

Best of luck and really hope you push this into major complaint territory and get the result you fully deserve. 

23 minutes ago, dabhand said:

Your case is quite disgraceful. That both HMPO  and  BE are giving no support on a matter that leaves your personal safety in Thailand at risk is an absolute nonsense.

I have been following this thread with incredulity and note that an earlier poster (now strikingly MIA) was insistent that HMPO, once reminded of the special circumstances of passport retention issues in Thailand, noted that 'would have saved a lot of bother'. Almost as if the blame was yours for not realising that HMPO are staffed by a bunch of you know whats, who need reminding of a rule that should be quickly located and understood. But, to compound the idiocy, completely ignore the rationale behind that clearly laid out rule and still insist upon the old passport being despatched.  WTH!!

Then, the BE moves into their usual, couldn't give a F mode. That I know too well from the Income Letter saga. Still painful to me, and no doubt many others, due to ongoing cost and hassle issues.

The current Ambo seems to be keen to present himself, via video, as the caring, sharing image of the UK diplomatic corps. But, as usual, the expression 'all fur coat and no knickers' comes to mind...... Not having any passport available in Thailand in these troubled times should have fired up some meaningful response. What an absolute shower. 

Apols for the rant but I can't imagine what my  state of mind would be should I have been in your position. Initially I would have considered the virus issue as a clear mitigating circumstance but recent actions by the main players have kicked that well into touch.

Best of luck and really hope you push this into major complaint territory and get the result you fully deserve. 

I completely agree. If I remember correctly @ImageDude was twice emailed to say his application would not progress until he sent them his passport. Not one person in HMPO decided to see if there was anything different about the procedures from Thailand. He even sent, I think, the relevant page regarding retention of passports and they ignored it. He will now, or eventually end up with both passports in VFS until they open. He will then have to arrange a third party to pick them up. The BE has not mentioned anything about the problems people are having with VFS closing. Facebook, Twitter, website -nothing.

To the poster who asked why can,t they courier to home address - they normally reply VFS has to cut the corners off the old passport. This is 2020 not 1920.!!

47 minutes ago, dabhand said:

Thank you for concern and support.

After sending my old passport to HMPO Liverpool I checked DHL Tracking until my passport was delivered to HMPO Liverpool and was signed for receipt. I then contacted HMPO Liverpool to point out that they were now receipt of my old passport and explained yet again the dangerous position they had left me in. I asked them to please expedite my application. This is their reply.

HMPO Service <[email protected]>

Tue 05/05/2020 14:53

===========================================

Sent: 1588686749
To:
Cc:
Subject: Re: HMPO Passport enquiries
Message_ID:
X-TSID:
-------------------------------------------
Dear

Thank you for your email about your current application.

Unfortunately, HMPO cannot expedite and overseas app and there are no urgent services available.
Diplomatic missions (British Embassies, High Commissions and Consulates) overseas can assist in emergencies. Details can be found at https://www.gov.uk/emergency-travel-document

Regards,

Customer Service Email Team

Unfortunate indeed! I have now sent numerous emails to HMPO Liverpool stating the position that they have put me in. At no time amongst all the replies I have received has anybody ADDRESSED THE ISSUE of being in THAILAND with NO PASSPORT.

15 minutes ago, pontious said:

I completely agree. If I remember correctly @ImageDude was twice emailed to say his application would not progress until he sent them his passport.

4 times in fact.

Not one person in HMPO decided to see if there was anything different about the procedures from Thailand.

Correct.

He even sent, I think, the relevant page regarding retention of passports and they ignored it.

Correct again.

He will now, or eventually end up with both passports in VFS until they open. He will then have to arrange a third party to pick them up. The BE has not mentioned anything about the problems people are having with VFS closing. Facebook, Twitter, website -nothing.

To the poster who asked why can,t they courier to home address -

they normally reply VFS has to cut the corners off the old passport. This is 2020 not 1920.!!

In my case I have an email stating that it is HMPO Liverpool who will cut off the corner of my old passport not VFS,

I have a nice collection of emails now and will eventually collate all the evidence in the complaint I will make. However, it seems that HMPO are not answerable to anybody and therefore untouchable. Time will tell.

I'd be inclined to draft a short note outlining the incorrect and conflicting advice you've been given by HMPO and send to the appropriate Minister, copied to the Home Secretary and the Ambassador to Thailand, make the letter as short as possible, outlining the position they've put you in, I'd also copy the letter/email to your own MP.
I'd write a similar letter to Dominic Raab, again outlining the lack of support from the British Embassy, again copy it into to the Ambassador to Thailand, and your MP in the UK.
I suspect that neither letter will go any further than each Ministers Correspondence Unit, but you should get a response, and I'd take it from there.
Don't be too emotional, stick to that facts of how each department has given you incorrect advice and left you vulnerable, they will respond in due course.
I know these are difficult times, but there is no excuse for their actions.

On 5/5/2020 at 8:59 AM, hotandsticky said:

On 5/5/2020 at 10:27 AM, ImageDude said:

Check the whole thread, you will discover the answer.

On 5/5/2020 at 12:25 PM, hotandsticky said:

122 posts ?     naaagh, I am not that interested.

To put it succinctly, it was because whoever at HMPO subsequently insisted on him submitting his original passport is an incompetent fool!

I forgot to post this reply that I received after submitting to HMPO my perceived understanding of the passport renewal procedure from Thailand. It appears that HMPO has very different ideas concerning this issue. I would point out that my passport has not expired, I foolishly stated to them "expiring passport" not realising that maybe the recipient may not be able read! I had also copied and pasted the relevant page on UK Gov. website which was subsequently ignored. 

HM Passport Office <[email protected]>

Tue 28/04/2020 12:11

Dear Mr

Thank you for your enquiry.

We need to receive your expired passport at the issuing office before we are able to proceed.

You state that “My agent that submitted the application on my behalf and will have the expired passport for me to collect when my new one arrives”

This is not the process. If your agent does have your expired passport please request that he submits it to the issuing office at Liverpool when services resume. When it is received we will cancel it and remove the corner.

H M Passport Office

101 Old Hall Street

Liverpool

L3 9BD

On this occasion you must contact the Foreign Office directly for further guidance.

If you require any further information, please contact us through our helpline on +44 (0)300 222 0000 or via e-mail [email protected] Text Relay Prefix 18001

Kind Regards,

Customer Service Management Team

Her Majesty's Passport Office Operations

Her Majesty's Passport Office

On 5/7/2020 at 4:57 PM, theoldgit said:

I'd be inclined to draft a short note outlining the incorrect and conflicting advice you've been given by HMPO and send to the appropriate Minister, copied to the Home Secretary and the Ambassador to Thailand, make the letter as short as possible, outlining the position they've put you in, I'd also copy the letter/email to your own MP.
I'd write a similar letter to Dominic Raab, again outlining the lack of support from the British Embassy, again copy it into to the Ambassador to Thailand, and your MP in the UK.
I suspect that neither letter will go any further than each Ministers Correspondence Unit, but you should get a response, and I'd take it from there.
Don't be too emotional, stick to that facts of how each department has given you incorrect advice and left you vulnerable, they will respond in due course.
I know these are difficult times, but there is no excuse for their actions.

Ms Priti Patel                                                                                                                                                                

Home Office                                                                                                                                                                                

2 Marsham Street                                                                                                                                               

London

SW1P 4DF

15 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

@ImageDude I note that the member of the “Customer Support Management Team” hasn’t felt it necessary to personalize his response with his name.

Yeah, I did the community charge thing years ago, and my name was on every summons. Got a few "we know where you live" responses, but mostly people understood you were a bureaucrat, and if they destroy you some other bureaucrat will just take your place. The only thing you can do as a bureaucrat is play it straight down the line. Plenty of gangsters around looking for a way in to play the system, play it straight they leave you alone. 

10 hours ago, theoldgit said:

@ImageDude I note that the member of the “Customer Support Management Team” hasn’t felt it necessary to personalize his response with his name.

Actually there is a name, in fairness I deleted it along with my own name. I have 3 emails from 3 different members of the said “Customer Support Management Team” who all put their name to the replies. It's not necessary to publish names on this forum, it would be of no help, Hopefully they will eventually be held accountable but I have my doubts.

10 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Ms Priti Patel                                                                                                                                                                

Home Office                                                                                                                                                                                

2 Marsham Street                                                                                                                                               

London

SW1P 4DF

Thank you. I already did that last week. I received an automated reply stating they endeavour to reply within 20 days. I also copied in my constituency MP in the UK and the British Embassy Bangkok who did reply with unhelpful advice. One piece of advice was I could show my receipt for my passport renewal application to Thai Police if stopped and needed ID as a way of explaining to them why I have no passport! Yeah right!

On 5/5/2020 at 12:17 PM, Martinpeter said:

cheers

My Bold.

Have they emailed you yet.?

13 hours ago, pontious said:

My Bold.

Have they emailed you yet.?

Yes, I have received 2 further emails from our Liverpool passport office, 1 contradicting the other?

The first one stating my application is still on final checking!

the latest one states, 

Thank you for contacting us regarding your passport application.

Unfortunately, at present, we can only deal with urgent compassionate cases and your application does not fall under these guidelines. (6 weeks after issue date? and  I am still waiting?)

If you need emergency assistance you will need to contact the Foreign and Commonwealth office.

So i can only guess the problem is not with VFS Bangkok closing (if no passports to re-issue now, no work for them).

The problem guys is with Liverpool passport office? closing or working minimal hrs

They are not completing new passport applications? quickly.

How can they define our cases?

1. Nobody anywhere needs a passport for travel? now!

2. THEY DON'T understand when people live abroad "we need a passport for visa purposes" to allow us to stay in that Country!!!!!

So i guess wait until Liverpool passport office! return to work or get back to normal!

keep waiting!, waiting, surely VFS will open after next week? can get more information then?

1 hour ago, Martinpeter said:

Yes, I have received 2 further emails from our Liverpool passport office, 1 contradicting the other?

The first one stating my application is still on final checking!

the latest one states, 

Thank you for contacting us regarding your passport application.

Unfortunately, at present, we can only deal with urgent compassionate cases and your application does not fall under these guidelines. (6 weeks after issue date? and  I am still waiting?)

If you need emergency assistance you will need to contact the Foreign and Commonwealth office.

So i can only guess the problem is not with VFS Bangkok closing (if no passports to re-issue now, no work for them).

The problem guys is with Liverpool passport office? closing or working minimal hrs

They are not completing new passport applications? quickly.

How can they define our cases?

1. Nobody anywhere needs a passport for travel? now!

2. THEY DON'T understand when people live abroad "we need a passport for visa purposes" to allow us to stay in that Country!!!!!

So i guess wait until Liverpool passport office! return to work or get back to normal!

keep waiting!, waiting, surely VFS will open after next week? can get more information then?

Thanks for the update - I estimate you applied around 10/11 March. 2 months and still there. Final checking for 7 days at least, and still there. We are at looking at literally months for renewal when VFS open -and we have no idea when that will be. Still stupid replies from BE and no advice for there citizens. HMPO  advise contacting FCO. Why is our embassy not contacting them.?!!!

I emailed them for a status check now that they are in possession of my old passport since 4th May (although they have never acknowledged this!). I sent emails on Thursday 8th May, Friday 9th May and Monday 11th May and so far all my correspondence has been ignored. On a positive note I had a reply from my MP yesterday. He has said to leave it until Friday and if I hear nothing from HMPO, then, I should let him know and he will be on the case and make enquiries.

6 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Is there any news on VFS re-opening anytime soon?

No news. You can check the VFS GLOBAL for there daily updates.

For the rest of your post you can see the earlier posts. Some are waiting two months and not completed yet. Even when they are you cannot collect them until VFS is told to reopen.

Having popped into my local IO this week I can confirm that it is my understanding that they are aware of the probs associated re awaiting replacement passports and that they're likely to be very reasonable on a case by case basis for the foreseeable future.

(Posted in the hope of putting some minds at rest-Ours was a thorough conversation which I have simplified as explained)

HTH

14 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Having popped into my local IO this week I can confirm that it is my understanding that they are aware of the probs associated re awaiting replacement passports and that they're likely to be very reasonable on a case by case basis for the foreseeable future.

(Posted in the hope of putting some minds at rest-Ours was a thorough conversation which I have simplified as explained)

HTH

Thanks for the report but what did they say. Did they say we will extend your extension for another year even though your passport is not valid.?

At the moment they will only extend until your passport validity date.

If you are stopped at a RTP checkpoint they will expect a valid passport for your ID.

8 minutes ago, pontious said:

Thanks for the report but what did they say. Did they say we will extend your extension for another year even though your passport is not valid.?

At the moment they will only extend until your passport validity date.

If you are stopped at a RTP checkpoint they will expect a valid passport for your ID.

With the expired visa amnesty, no one is being locked up for having an expired visa, so prob not for a recently expired passport.

Archived