Pattaya: Former US gangster - who speaks five languages - hit hard Covid-19 times and robbed 7-Eleven

webfact

1 hour ago, CNXexpat said:
6 hours ago, webfact said:

The suspect has been charged with armed robbery, weapons offences and using a vehicle to flee. 

This is a crime too? If he would use his legs to flee would make his fine smaller?

The law was enacted before Thai police had vehicles with which to chase them.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, CNXexpat said:
6 hours ago, webfact said:

The suspect has been charged with armed robbery, weapons offences and using a vehicle to flee. 

This is a crime too? If he would use his legs to flee would make his fine smaller?

Just less chance of getting clean away.

I remember when I first came to Thailand an old friend told me about all these robberies, and he said the most important word to learn is 'shoo choo'. He then went on to tell me you will often get some-one coming at you with a gun and he will say 'give me all your money or I'll shoo choo'

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

There are lots of guys like him in Thailand, brought up in the US after the wars and never properly papered, so sooner or later they get deported. .

He's 37 so born early 80's. What war would that have been?

7 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Folks do desperate things in desperate times, and I suspect he will not be the last turning to crime in coming weeks as the lack of money really starts to bite.

"Roger" was brought up in California where he was a prominent member of a gang."

Odds are he was doing desperate things in California when times were not desperate then escaped to Thailand.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Where did it say he was deported, imagination running wild again?

I love it when you guys follow me around to argue with me or make snide comments.  LOL. Its geat to be in folks heads LOL

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Tchooptip said:

I just ask you a question, without disrespecting you, just a question: How people who make these kinds of reflections as if everything was settled with a simple wy, would explain that the prisons of Thailand are bursting at the seams, sheltering 350,000 prisoners, when for instance in UK with almost exactly the same number of inhabitants there are only 84,000 prisoners more than 75% less. Any answer?

They all moved to Thailand

5 hours ago, xylophone said:

Reminds me of a great song by a great singer called, "Jimmy LaFave".

A truly unique voice, and he recorded, "desperate men do desperate things" – – well worth listening to, as he is probably one of the greatest singers you've never heard of.

Yes, your right, great voice, appropriate song

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

I love it when you guys follow me around to argue with me or make snide comments.  LOL. Its geat to be in folks heads LOL

It's got to be the scent trail you leave.... all those uncut toenails.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, timendres said:

Mostly, the drug laws.

I wouldn't say the opposite already in Taksin's time it was like that, plus they shot them on sight. But also many of the sentences are crazy, one year two years for a simple tweet that displease the government, a sentence of two three years in Europe would easily be six seven years in Thailand. I mean for the ordinary people, for the friends of those in power it's another story.

8 hours ago, Oink said:

Correction to the headline.

He is a Thai gangster who committed crimes in US.

Spot on! More of that 'Thais do not do something like that, so it must be the bad Western influence' mantra...

If an American robs a 7-Eleven in Thailand, after living here for three years, then returns to the U.S.; is he then a Thai gangster?? - Wonder what Thais would say to a headline like that, if the roles were reversed?

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Thanks 1

With that much ink on him, I doubt he was holding a flag over his head and leading groups of tourists around.

Wish I could see his tats better, but I can't see any gang related ones, nor military on him.  

As for speaking 5 languages, I speak 4 and spent a lot of time at the Uni learning them.  Somehow I doubt his proficiency goes beyond some street Spanish, Viet, Lao, plus  Thai and English.  This is common in California.

IF he has PTSD and served in the military, he'd qualify for VA benefits.

And I agree that he was probably deported, or self-deported to avoid jail-time.  Just a small time hood who couldn't even pull off a convenience store robbery.

Edited by Iron Tongue
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

No, he will have to become a monk, and be like all the other folks that get in trouble and look to the biggest corruption gang out there to get back into society with just a Wai...

Shave and a haircut ... and a 10 cent fine.

I wonder what 5 languages he speaks.  Suppose it's Thai, Lao, Cambodian or Vietnamese, some Egrish and Spanish?  Or maybe Chinese snuck in somewhere.  Hey, I can speak English, fair Thai, a bit of Isaan Lao and have rusty high school Spanish.  I've learned a few select phrases in Chinese ("I have a yellow pencil." "I am a round-eyes.") and some Lebanese ("Suck/kiss my ____". )  In addition, I know some Yiddish expressions, a couple phrases in Vietnamese and Italian and German. 

But I need to get some tattoos and jail time to get street credit. 

10 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

I just ask you a question, without disrespecting you, just a question: How people who make these kinds of reflections as if everything was settled with a simple wy, would explain that the prisons of Thailand are bursting at the seams, sheltering 350,000 prisoners, when for instance in UK with almost exactly the same number of inhabitants there are only 84,000 prisoners more than 75% less. Any answer?

corruption!!

3 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

I wonder what 5 languages he speaks.  Suppose it's Thai, Lao, Cambodian or Vietnamese, some Egrish and Spanish? 

He lived in the US for 30 years, now he is 37 . So he must be American and Thai. Other languages maybe Spanish.