What Are The Odds That I Can Get Permanent Residency?

15 hours ago, BadSpottedDog said:

we also are personal friends with someone in Parliament (even though we don't want to ask favors from that person), but would be a great reference.

Although I'm afraid you are definitely not qualified for PR (and since all the information on criteria is easily available, not quite sure why you asked), I only wish to comment on the hypothetical use of a "personal friend in parliament." Although a reference from an influential Thai might appear to be helpful, that is certainly not the case unless you understand precisely what will be the effect of it.Indeed it might even be counterproductive - especially if that reference is a politician - a profession not held in high regard by senior bureaucrats.One needs to put oneself into the mentality of a senior conservative Thai bureaucrat who is definitely not impressed by many people a foreigner might assume to be influential.Secondly there might indeed be a very few Thais (and I really do mean a handful) whose support would send a PR application speeding through the system, a foreigner must be realistic in understanding that achieving the support of such a person would be a huge probably insurmountable challenge.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jayboy said:

Although I'm afraid you are definitely not qualified for PR (and since all the information on criteria is easily available, not quite sure why you asked), I only wish to comment on the hypothetical use of a "personal friend in parliament." Although a reference from an influential Thai might appear to be helpful, that is certainly not the case unless you understand precisely what will be the effect of it.Indeed it might even be counterproductive - especially if that reference is a politician - a profession not held in high regard by senior bureaucrats.One needs to put oneself into the mentality of a senior conservative Thai bureaucrat who is definitely not impressed by many people a foreigner might assume to be influential.Secondly there might indeed be a very few Thais (and I really do mean a handful) whose support would send a PR application speeding through the system, a foreigner must be realistic in understanding that achieving the support of such a person would be a huge probably insurmountable challenge.

Ok. Thanks for the insight. My friend is NOT a politician, but quite respected nationwide by Thais and foreigners alike. I will give it thought. 

30 minutes ago, BadSpottedDog said:

Ok. Thanks for the insight. My friend is NOT a politician, but quite respected nationwide by Thais and foreigners alike. I will give it thought. 

Have you opened the file I post a link to for yesterday.

Look at page 5 of it and note the requirements. You seem to be referring to a application under 5 which be very difficult to get if not impossible.

image.png.d750041dee56b444a2ca9c5beb6a6664.png

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Have you opened the file I post a link to for yesterday.

Look at page 5 of it and note the requirements. You seem to be referring to a application under 5 which be very difficult to get if not impossible.

image.png.d750041dee56b444a2ca9c5beb6a6664.png

We are experts in our field. Highly trained and experienced. So I was thinking about that as a possibility too.

2 hours ago, jayboy said:

I will second this.

I mean no offense to these people, but I know plenty of 'run of the mill/joe averages' who have Thai PR. You do so under your own steam, and the path of least resistance is via gainfully employed for 3 years by a Thai based company. They are straight forward, non-controversial applications.

Delving into 'special consideration' in Thailand immediately invokes, well - discretion - something no Thai bureaucrat in their right mind is going to do unless they can be sure they aren't going to get into trouble. So unless you are personal friends with the Minister of Interior, then I'd scratch that idea.

24 minutes ago, BadSpottedDog said:

We are experts in our field. Highly trained and experienced. So I was thinking about that as a possibility too.

Did you look at page 15 for the expert category. It shows this.

image.png.010d3712886cac46bc60b08dbb54e80e.png

Just now, pdtokyo said:

Have you done a search on TV for others describing the PR process? A guy ages ago described his citizenship application experience in great detail ... all the way down to needing to sing the national anthem i seem to recall

Predictably he got a lot of rubbishy-grade responses but he seemed genuine about wanting to share ... maybe look for the post and DM him ?

Yes. I saw that! I have done tons of searching and reading. I also noticed that Thai govt USED to allow PR for retirement, but that has since changed. Too bad. I'm hoping the large chunk of change they get after approval might be a motivator? Maybe not .. but we can only try. Just need to find a place to start (aside from our local immigration guy).

13 minutes ago, BadSpottedDog said:

Yes. I saw that! I have done tons of searching and reading. I also noticed that Thai govt USED to allow PR for retirement, but that has since changed. Too bad. I'm hoping the large chunk of change they get after approval might be a motivator? Maybe not .. but we can only try. Just need to find a place to start (aside from our local immigration guy).

They aren’t even going to accept your application unless you’ve got three years of work permits and tax returns.  The ladies and gents at the PR desk get into trouble for accepting and passing on applications that waste the time of their superiors and other assorted higher ups. Money isn’t the consideration here...

Oh and by the way, applications for PR aren’t yet open for this year. They only take applications when the minister opens up the application window. Usually this is in the last few weeks of each calendar year in December, but for the past year or two they have opened up for July-December. 

Edited by samran

27 minutes ago, samran said:

Oh and by the way, applications for PR aren’t yet open for this year. They only take applications when the minister opens up the application window. Usually this is in the last few weeks of each calendar year in December, but for the past year or two they have opened up for July-December. 

Yep. I saw that. Our current visa is good for almost a year now. While this might be impossible, I'm pretty darned determined. But ok if it doesn't work ... at least worth a try though. Thanks

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BadSpottedDog said:

But you said he was in parliament.

2 hours ago, BadSpottedDog said:

Yep. I saw that. Our current visa is good for almost a year now. While this might be impossible, I'm pretty darned determined. But ok if it doesn't work ... at least worth a try though. Thanks

Apologies if you've already covered this, but why do you want PR?

If it's so you can work, then either get a job or set-up your own company, If your skills are in demand then neither should be difficult to do, if they're not then they would seem to be irrelevant no matter how experienced you are.

If it's so you can feel more secure about being able to stay in Thailand, simply get a 20 year (1 Million THB) Elite Visa

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Apologies if you've already covered this, but why do you want PR?

If it's so you can work, then either get a job or set-up your own company, If your skills are in demand then neither should be difficult to do, if they're not then they would seem to be irrelevant no matter how experienced you are.

If it's so you can feel more secure about being able to stay in Thailand, simply get a 20 year (1 Million THB) Elite Visa

We are trying our best to assimilate into the culture, because we intend to stay here for the duration. We are insecure about the constant changes with immigration, & even the elite folks are having issues. I feel that PR is the best way to secure our place in Thailand. Another plus is the ability to add family members if we choose to do that down the road.

We don't need to work, but our skillset would be pretty darned useful to Thailand .. so we would not mind working. 

If we open a company or get a work permit, then it will be another 3 years to be eligible for PR. We kept our visa (retirement) because the rules specifically say, "you must be on the same visa for 3 consecutive years". And I'm not sure if you saw ... last year, they took the "retirement" option away from the PR requirements. ???? It is still listed on some websites as an option.

17 minutes ago, BadSpottedDog said:

And I'm not sure if you saw ... last year, they took the "retirement" option away from the PR requirements.

Actually that ended over a decade ago and I am not aware of anybody getting one in that case. It was written in a ministerial directive back in 2003 was probably rescinded long ago.

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, BadSpottedDog said:

We don't need to work, but our skillset would be pretty darned useful to Thailand .. so we would not mind working. 

That is your only option. If you are that skilled, should be easy and it's only 3 years. And then the wait, which may be long not sure. Also, just make sure there isn't some clause somewhere that restricts applications to under 60 year old's, ie. if you are over 60.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, BadSpottedDog said:

& even the elite folks are having issues. I feel that PR is the best way to secure our place in Thailand. Another plus is the ability to add family members if we choose to do that down the road

I haven't heard of any difficulties with the Elite Visa, in fact I'm giving serious thoughts to switching to the 20 year Visa when my Non-O expires (September).

I wasn't aware that Retirees were ever able to get PR (from UbonJoe's reply it seems that few if any ever did) so it seems like you'll need to change your Visa classification anyway.

Getting PR is already a <deleted> shoot (very few who apply for it are successful) so I would suggest that the "Work" Visa gives the best chance of success, this site seems to say that even if you go down the Expert / Investment route, you'd still need a Work Permit  https://www.thaicitizenship.com/the-ultimate-guide-to-thai-permanent-residency/

Good Luck ???? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BadSpottedDog said:

We are insecure about the constant changes with immigration, & even the elite folks are having issues. 

What elite folks have issues? I am a normal person and don't have any issues at all.

What is your skill set, might know a job for you.

There are other categories, that are not based on work but in all honesty... I don't know anyone who successfully got the PR in any other category. You could certainly try, but salary/taxes paid carry a very large portion of the overall score, so that being a 0, you will find it really hard to pass other categories. Now since neither of you are married to a Thai, have no Thai children, don't perfectly speak and read/write Thai, and are not in 35-45 years of age bracket which gets most points, I would say that you have a very low probability of being able to get a passing score.

Imagine this. There's an exam on 5 subjects. One of them has 30% of weight, 2 have 20%, and 2 have 15% each. Passing score is 50%. And you have 0 on the 30% one. You have low score on one of the 20% ones, and medium score on the other one. It would be really hard to get over 50% mark.

• Haha 1

You want to assimilate into the culture? no you don't or you would be driving like a maniac, cheating on the Mrs, taking back handers, lying when you get caught and eating some very unpleasant things as well as drinking some of the worlds worst beer, just to start off with ????

3 minutes ago, britanicus said:

You want to assimilate into the culture? no you don't or you would be driving like a maniac, cheating on the Mrs, taking back handers, lying when you get caught and eating some very unpleasant things as well as drinking some of the worlds worst beer, just to start off with ????

I was doing that prior to living in Thailand.

As for worst beers, I like beer lao dam.

Don't you love the OP keeping advanced skill set qualifications and contacts a Mistry. I'm loving the suspense.

1 hour ago, britanicus said:

Our Thai family doesn't behave like that. We are fortunate to live in a very small beach town, where we don't have much of that kind of thing. ????