Pattaya and the virus: Three quarters of Covid-19 cases are foreigners

webfact

In the first world it about prevention, numbers and testing if a person is infected its irreverent where they are from as they are a potential spreader thai xenophobia comes from clueless and corrupt governance with there clown of a health minister leading the charge

Huge unhelpful headline for such a small sample.  Of course there are still many farangs in Pattaya.  Many are permanent residents and are very useful members of the local society following Thai laws to the letter

and bringing foreign revenue to support local people. The way the article reads is that the farangs are a scourge bringing the Covid 19 Virus. Just my view.

• Thanks 1

If Pattaya is the same as Hua Hin was, it is difficult to find masks to purchase

unless you buy online.  My Thai family in Bangkok were able to get me a few

boxes of masks,  as well as a fancy cloth one. I had a foam one made in Japan

as well as 2 I brought from Canada for the Bangkok smog.  It seemed that the Thais

had more places where the masks were available.  I even asked at a hospital and

was told  they only  had for staff  and some patients.  Good luck to all who  have

to live in Thailand year round.  Stay  healthy..

Geezer

• Like 1

On 3/31/2020 at 9:48 AM, stuhan said:

15 OR 12? make your mind up,and who's to say the foreigners didn't catch it from Thai people,really lets be fair and stop pointing your finger at the farang all the time.

It's obvious that many foreigners got the virus from Thai prostitutes.

But they'd not report that. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Isaan sailor said:

Effective propaganda—instead of blaming the Chinese for infecting Thailand (and the world) they single out western tourists.

Amazing Thailand.

This is true. Many of these uneducated people might believe that Italians, Germans, Brits, and Americans were the cause of the virus.

How many of them know about Wuhan?

It's  a shame to blame those who thought this country would be a good place to live.

It turns out not to be the case.    

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

If Pattaya is the same as Hua Hin was, it is difficult to find masks to purchase

unless you buy online.  My Thai family in Bangkok were able to get me a few

boxes of masks,  as well as a fancy cloth one. I had a foam one made in Japan

as well as 2 I brought from Canada for the Bangkok smog.  It seemed that the Thais

had more places where the masks were available.  I even asked at a hospital and

was told  they only  had for staff  and some patients.  Good luck to all who  have

to live in Thailand year round.  Stay  healthy..

Geezer

I wouldnt bother with masks.

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/health-wellbeing/coronavirus-cannot-be-kept-away-by-face-masks-says-who--c-901591

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sujo said:

More and more you aren't allowed to enter food stores in Thailand without a mask especially if you're a so called farang (yes I have witnessed that disgusting racist double standard here myself) so yes we need to bother now. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

It's obvious that many foreigners got the virus from Thai prostitutes.

But they'd not report that. 

What about legit staff in a 7/11, legit staff in bars, restaurants, shops, banks etc?

Whilst some may have contracted the virus from a prostitute, some may have caught it just going about their daily lives. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Wow, Tropo, you actually believe that only 10 people have died in Thailand

from Covid 19?  I cannot believe the people are so trusting, on the official numbers.

Go talk to a few hospital workers  and  maybe you can get a more accurate number.

Geezer

Well, to be fair, a lot of the deceased died from "pneumonia."   

• Sad 1

I have followed this thread, and the underlying thought has been bothering me, the expat community is up in arms about being "othered" in this report, this is in conjunction with other comments from people in "control and administration" so the feelings are cumulative.

My underlying thought is,  had the headline read: " "Three quarters of Covid-19 cases are Thai"

Would there an outpouring of concern for those infected or???

On 3/30/2020 at 10:45 PM, giddyup said:

My partner says there is a lot of anti-falang feeling and comments on social media. Comments that falangs are dirty and the virus has spread in countries like Italy because they don't wash and wear shoes in the house. This pandemic is bringing out the inherent racism.

May be it is bringing out the truthc why Europe and America are devasted by this virus. It is bringing out the truth of their people's arrogancies and their leaders' incometancies. 

30 minutes ago, giddyup said:

You have 100 returning Thais who point blank refused to go into quarantine, can't get much more arrogant than that.

What I read is, that they want put them in room (but 3 person in 1 room) and that was the reason they denied. 
If that report is true (and seems there exists some evidence, then I also would refuse the government quarantine

Just now, HampiK said:

What I read is, that they want put them in room (but 3 person in 1 room) and that was the reason they denied. 
If that report is true (and seems there exists some evidence, then I also would refuse the government quarantine

And refusing the quarantine is beneficial how? What do you think is happening when Aussies are returning home? Mum, Dad and 2 kids stuck in a hotel room for 2 weeks, they just accept the inconvenience rather than going home and spreading the virus willy nilly, unlike the Thais.

4 hours ago, giddyup said:

What do you think is happening when Aussies are returning home? Mum, Dad and 2 kids stuck in a hotel room for 2 weeks,

That's very different to being placed in a room with strangers for 2 weeks, who may have the virus, and pass it onto you. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Leaver said:

That's very different to being placed in a room with strangers for 2 weeks, who may have the virus, and pass it onto you. 

They all flew together on the plane didn't they? Are you suggesting they all be allowed to go home and possibly spread the virus to their families and possibly the whole village?

Edited by giddyup

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

They all flew together on the plane didn't they?

Studies have shown it's only the immediate area around the infected person on a plane that are at risk. 

The air conditioning system in planes is actually quite good for filtering, so the whole plane is not put at the same risk as those very near the infected person.    

Just now, Leaver said:

Studies have shown it's only the immediate area around the infected person on a plane that are at risk. 

The air conditioning system in planes is actually quite good for filtering, so the whole plane is not put at the same risk as those very near the infected person.    

Is that what the brochures tell you? So if you knew there was one infected person sitting 6 rows away from you, you'd be OK with that? I doubt if anyone can definitively say that a virus couldn't be spread through the whole plane.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Is that what the brochures tell you? So if you knew there was one infected person sitting 6 rows away from you, you'd be OK with that? I doubt if anyone can definitively say that a virus couldn't be spread through the whole plane.

Sure.  The infected person gets up to stretch their legs and does a lap of the plane, waits for the toilet with others etc.  It's not anything you can completely rely upon, but studies have been done. 

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Leaver said:

Like fleas it could piggy-back from one to the next. The way this virus is spreading seems to suggest it is pretty contagious. Strikes me if one is going to impose quarantine, making it optional isn't the wisest idea. 

Back in the village sleeping conditions are usually cramped too. 

Edited by jacko45k

On 4/4/2020 at 7:29 AM, Leaver said:

the plane filter system, if maintained properly, and that is a big if, does filter dust and particulates, and some are supposed to have some anti bacterial type filters, but none of them have filters that are small enough to stop the micron sized virus particles.  Airplanes are known to have filthy air, and many seniors with lung issues and weak immune systems are warned or even prohibited from flying.  My Dad on oxygen enricher who could not survive a respiritory infection was not allowed to fly.  So please do not assert that plane air is clean and good.  Just go pound on the seat cushion next time you are on a plane and watch the stuff that comes out that your eye can see, especially on any type of cloth seat.  VInyl seats, which suck on a long flight can be cleaned, as in general they do not absorb things, but cloth seats have so much stuff

Edited by gk10002000