Heads up, just got slammed with import taxes

NorthernRyland

22 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

All cops are sneaky.  Immigration cops come on a home visit when you get marriage visa extension.  As soon as they arrive one cop will go to Hong Nam.....not for a pee but to check if there is a second or third toothbrush & towels and a Shave kit....unless he sees you have a beard!  But I fear the days of bringing suitcases loaded with tools,  food items and shave cream and waltzing out "Nothing to Declare" will be soon over.  The shave cream I buy in the big size for $2.50 on special in Oz is $8+ in the small can here! 

Nothing like that happened to us at all ,4 turned up ,didnt bother to go upstairs ,never asked to go to toilet 3 sat at the dinning room table and chatted to the wife and our neighbour,one who had been to the UK on holiday once chated to me about it as he had stayed not far from where i lived ,all done in 15 mins ,smiled and waved as they left.one thing i will say is our neighbours husband owns a thriving big business,they asked how much she earned a month , when she replied ,they fell off their chairs , mind you they had to pick me up as well . perhaps thats why they were so nice????

23 hours ago, Venom said:

They change the rules constantly. Nothing is certain. But if you are in the north you can merely step outside and get all the smoke and pollution you can handle. TIT 

555! Every morning and night I take the dogs for a walk the same way.  We go past this one house and it smells like cigar smoke....and there is no-one there!   Could it be the forebears are in residence and they are all sitting around sucking on a stogie.....24/7???  Personally I would rather have a fat Cuban.....cigar that is! 

Years ago I ordered a pair of new Adidas sneakers via eBay and had them to sent to a lady friend in BKK. The seller was kind enough to put $20 USD as the value.

Customs didn't buy it. She had to go to the post office and pay about 850 baht in taxes. If they looked up the true value of the shoes, about 2700 baht, that's about a 30% tax.

have them send it parcel post to a thai.

18 months ago moved from china to thailand, mailed 5 large boxes by surface (SAL), addressed to a thai lady.  these were the largest boxes sold by the post office, weighing 12-18 kg each when full.  china post office lady inspected each box, reminded me to remove labels/tags from everything newly purchased.  don't recall what value i put on the customs forms.....maybe $75-150 per box.

first box was delivered to the condo, received notices to come get the others at the local post office (lad phrao).  picked up with signed copy of thai lady id card.  no questions, no customs.

Edited by ChouDoufu
new math

7 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Years ago I ordered a pair of new Adidas sneakers via eBay and had them to sent to a lady friend in BKK. The seller was kind enough to put $20 USD as the value.

Customs didn't buy it. She had to go to the post office and pay about 850 baht in taxes. If they looked up the true value of the shoes, about 2700 baht, that's about a 30% tax.

Think that's about right.