Non-O one-year marriage extension / Rejected

Today I was denied my third one-year extension based on marriage. I have 12 consecutive deposits of over 70,000 pm. 

Immigration wanted to see an income letter (my embassy still provides them), but I explained due to pandemic I won't be able to get one until 3 weeks from now. My current extension expires on the 15th of April 2020. 

Immigration said they are willing to "wait" for my income letter and process my application, but I have to pay an additional 15,000 baht on top of the regular visa renewal fee. 

Supposedly I can't apply for a 60 day extension either because I used this "entitlement" before back in 2017.

Doesn't this seem a bit strange or is it just me? 

Edited by lucky2008

5 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

What is your IO? 

Anyway, calling the 1198 helpline to report this and ask for their help in sorting it out is indicated.

I rather not disclose this here, but I can say I've never had an issue with them before. 

What is this 1198 helpline? 

9 minutes ago, lucky2008 said:

What is this 1198 helpline? 

It should be 1178. It is immigrations number for help or complaints.

The problem is that immigration prefers the letter from your embassy rather than dealing with bank statement etc to confirm your income. That causes them to ignore the or in the police order that allows you to use either one.

Ask you embassy for help in getting the letter sooner.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

2. The immigration officer telling 'porkies' that he cannot apply for the 60-day extension (which would solve the problem) because he already did this once in 2017.

That is correct since only one is allowed per entry to the country. If he has not entered the country using a visa for entry since he got one in 2017 they are correct. Entering the country using a re-entry permit is not a new entry.

Agree with number one but when you are put between a rock and hard place what do you do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is correct since only one is allowed per entry to the country. If he has not entered the country using a visa for entry since he got one in 2017 they are correct. Entering the country using a re-entry permit is not a new entry.

Agree with number one but when you are put between a rock and hard place what do you do.

You are of course correct > it's indeed only one extension per entry.  Thanks for the reminder/clarification.

• Sad 1

I forgot to mention I also have a letter from my embassy requesting immigration grant me a 30-days extension due to the Covid-19 pandemic, but the immigration officer said I couldn't use it because I wasn't on a tourist visa. 

So with no flights out of the country and all borders closed things are looking bleak.  

• Thanks 1

I think this could be a time to negotiate.  At the very least if you pay, I would not want to have to get the letter.  Ever.  So make an excuse why you can’t travel there, like have no more money, you are sick, no need to make much sense, Thai lies never make much sense, just offer an excuse, and ask them to help you.  Maybe say you are willing to pay but don’t have 15,000 can they help you there to reduce that, you only have 7000 right now?  Then maybe they will say 10k will be enough?  Remember their real goal is money not the letter.

19 minutes ago, lucky2008 said:

I forgot to mention I also have a letter from my embassy requesting immigration grant me a 30-days extension due to the Covid-19 pandemic, but the immigration officer said I couldn't use it because I wasn't on a tourist visa. 

So with no flights out of the country and all borders closed things are looking bleak.  

The embassy letter can be applied to long stay visas, not just tourist visas. UbonJoe published a copy in Thai and English stating that on TVF. But many offices have now published and demand a list of 10 items to be submitted with complicated proof of place of residence requirements. Your IO sounds very dodgy and will find a way to try to block you even if you come up with all 10. Sounds like he wants a backhander (money not fist)

32 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Or it could be a time to grow a pair and do something about it.

This is definitely not that time.  Unless you have some friends who have highly placed immigration friends who will help make this go away for you ....as a favor, not a demand.

22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

My multi NON-O was issued April 2017. The last time time I entered Thailand was January of 2018 and I have not left the country since.

I've been living here on one-year extensions based on marriage since 2018. 

Shouldn't I be entitled to a 60 day extension? 

Edited by lucky2008

Married with Thai.

Arrived March 15th on a Multi-Non-O granted by KL Embassy. Extended in June 2014 for Annual based on 400000+ in Bank, had Multi-Reentry Visas, several Trips abroad annually, and annual extensions based on Money in Bank.

ALso had a Work Permit during the last few Years but kept extending based on Money in Bank.

Now due to The current Situation I might get laid off work, so am considering extending for 60 Days (First one ever for me) and then applying for extension based on Money in Bank starting August this Year. (Reason is I’m expecting funds from Europe to arrive in May, too late for the 2 Month seasoning requirement. 

Should this work in Pattaya?

Our immigration office advised me to come, personally, to the office to ask what documents I need before applying for a marriage extension every time. Last year I found out that we needed a Kor-ror 2, first time in 8 years, we witnessed TWO applicants without kor-ror 2 being told to go get one.

This year, on top of embassy letter, they wanted a letter from the bank showing proof of regular income for the last 12 months. Bangkok Bank will only give for 6 months, otherwise they have to get the proof from head office, 10 days delay. Here again, a guy next to us was forced to do a 30 day extension because he didn't have this bank letter. 

I wonder what they will invent next year? 

I think I could easily forge the embassy letter and doubtless that is what has been happening, leaving hapless Farangs suffering as a result. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cooked said:

Our immigration office advised me to come, personally, to the office to ask what documents I need before applying for a marriage extension every time. Last year I found out that we needed a Kor-ror 2, first time in 8 years, we witnessed TWO applicants without kor-ror 2 being told to go get one.

This year, on top of embassy letter, they wanted a letter from the bank showing proof of regular income for the last 12 months. Bangkok Bank will only give for 6 months, otherwise they have to get the proof from head office, 10 days delay. Here again, a guy next to us was forced to do a 30 day extension because he didn't have this bank letter. 

I wonder what they will invent next year? 

I think I could easily forge the embassy letter and doubtless that is what has been happening, leaving hapless Farangs suffering as a result. 

From what you write I deduct that you are using the 40K monthly-income transfer method to meet the financial requirements for the 1-year extension of your Non Imm O - marriage Visa.

The reason they ask for proof of regular income is that it is of course possible to 're-cycle' the same 40K monthly.

If you are a citizen of another country than USA, UK or Australia, and your embassy still issues the income-statement, you can also use that method to meet the financial requirement and doing so there is no need to show any fund-transfers.

Alternatively you can also use the 400K money-in-bank method.  The 400K only has to be there in the 2 months preceding the date of your application for the 1-year extension, and has to remain there till that application has been approved (can take 3-4 weeks).  But afterwards you are free to use that 400K as you please, and you need to top it up again 2 months before your next application for the 1-year extension.

CAVEAT > The above are the IO rules/regulations, but be aware that your local IO may not allow all methods to meet the financial requirement and may impose additional requirements when applying for a 1-year extension.  So better check with them first (and note the name of the officer providing you the information, as other officers from the same IO may have differing interpretations).

I had a friend who was held over the hot coals by IO in Prachuap, they wouldn't renew his extension of stay based on this work permit, demanding a paying similar top what you are saying.

He just kept waiting (in overstay) until the IO gave up and processed it, knowing they were not going to get any tea money... And the possibly someone from above the IO might ask why it's not happened.

Admittedly he didn't go anywhere or do anything during that time, just stay at home because he didn't want to get picked up by the police...

His theory was once you PAY, you'll be paying forever.. because they know you will.

• Like 1