Looking to purchase a Motorhome

OK thanks, I've had a look at these and have now decided that the best idea is to convert a van as I'll have plenty of time. 

If anyone knows of where I could purchase a Van, ideally a LWB high roof of some sort, ( Transit type van) second hand, I would be very grateful. I haven't seen many vans on any of the local websites. Anyway as always, any information will  e gratefully accepted. 

On 4/4/2020 at 2:34 PM, Surelynot said:

Think there's a place in Mu Si just before the entrance to the National Park. Driving passed Monday if I remember I'll have a look in.

Whoops! Forgot to message. Only touring caravans, no motor homes.

On 4/4/2020 at 10:32 PM, Optomist said:

OK thanks, I've had a look at these and have now decided that the best idea is to convert a van as I'll have plenty of time. 

If anyone knows of where I could purchase a Van, ideally a LWB high roof of some sort, ( Transit type van) second hand, I would be very grateful. I haven't seen many vans on any of the local websites. Anyway as always, any information will  e gratefully accepted. 

Buy some of the Auto Trader-like Thai used vehicle magazines, you should find some in those.

On 4/4/2020 at 2:47 PM, Lacessit said:

Motor homes do not appear to be part of Thai road culture, don't think I have ever seen one. The other issue would be camping sites, no such thing as a powered camp site that I have heard of. Bamboo huts maybe.

In low season, hotels are so cheap I would question the need for one. Good luck, but i feel travel will be restricted here for some time to come.

Me thinks you are unaware. Perhaps check out some of RetirecheapJC's annual camping trips on youtube. 

• Like 1

A Mereceds Sprinter would be a good van base. However they are not cheap. You would also need to research getting a van registered on private white plates. If its on commercial plates a farang cannot drive it.

Needs to be very well insulated. For those unaware, this type of AC is available: https://www.eberspacher.com/products/air-conditioning/cooltronic-truck-parking-coolers.html

It will be much easier and cheaper to work with something of the common minivan size such as the Toyota Hiace. Might be able to get a hinged roof fitted or fibreglass high top ...... though the latter will affect fuel economy considerably. 

Edited by Lancashirelad
typo
  • Like 2

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

Can stay in a lot of hotels, for a long time, for what it costs to purchase, insure, tax and run a motorhome, along with the genset to run the aircon.

In N. America - lots of them.

Here ... no infrastructure

Infrastructure?  That is exactly what is so great about a motorhome: You don't need any infrastructure.

As far as cost goes, it is not cheap to buy, but when we travel in it we spend less than when we stay at home. (And have more fun)

52 minutes ago, Maartensworld said:

Infrastructure?  That is exactly what is so great about a motorhome: You don't need any infrastructure.

Where do you dump your black water ?

There's just one

I had a MCI conversion in Canada for many years so know what I am talking about.

• Like 2

If you could get it licensed, and a license that allowed you to drive it, a converted Toyota Coaster would be perfect. 

Be tough to find a used commuter type van that that wasn't completely thrashed, although this would be the time to do it with all the tour company stuff parked. A lot of guys hemorrhaging money if they bought new rolling-stock shortly before the covid debacle. 

At the motor show last month a couple motorhome dealers.

Airstream has a dealership off Rama 9, not sure if it's still there. The were converting MB Sprinters and I think Vitos.

On 4/14/2021 at 9:38 AM, Maartensworld said:

Some usefull info from a Thai motorhome owner:

Having a motorhome in Thailand is great. No more search for hotels or restaurants (which are never there when you need them). Just pull over and sleep.

We slept comfortable in National Parks (often at the entrance, so no entrance-fee), temples, crematoria (no joke, very quiet at nigth) and just in forests, etc.

With AC and roof-fans it is not too hot, specially in the north of Thailand and Laos.

BUT !!!!

You can NOT legally convert a van to a motorhome. Motorhomes have a special status at the DLT and are very difficult to make legal.

Furthermore you can not just own a motorhome, you must have a vallid reason that you need it. (We used free-lance photographer as a reason, which was excepted).

When we bought our motorhome it was registered as a public van, which was illegal and it took us almost a year to get it legal and we had a lot of luck and were able to proof it was a motorhome before the laws changed and made it dificult.

But, having a motorhome in Thailand (and Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia) is absolutely great. 

Having said that, ours is for sale as we have changed our plans for the future. So, if interested, send a mesage.

20201211_201030.jpg

Doesn't it get hot inside there?  Do you have a generator to run the AC?

On 4/4/2020 at 8:34 PM, Surelynot said:

Think there's a place in Mu Si just before the entrance to the National Park. Driving passed Monday if I remember I'll have a look in.

Is that the one just after the 7/11, near the temple?

I think the OP may need a bit more help than that..

• Haha 1