Private Health insurance in Thailand and Coronavirus Covid19

Private Health insurance in Thailand and Coronavirus Covid19

image9.jpg

You plan to come to Thailand soon, please note that you will have to justify having a Private health insurance covering Covid19 with a minimum of USD 100,000. Even if you are already in Thailand, this is a good question to ask, does insurance cover Covid19 or not. If by chance yes, will the insurer accept to provide a certificate that will mention it?

Being effectively covered against Covid19 means having insurance that will cover medical costs, especially if you are hospitalized in intensive care in a private hospital. Costs quickly reaching hundreds of thousands of USD.

In principle health insurance covers any viral disease. The coverage will depend on the plan you have chosen (only inpatient treatments, or inpatient + outpatient treatments) and the limitation of coverage. The major medical risk, and therefore what must be covered in priority, obviously concerns the case of hospitalization, a cover of at least 500,000 USD is recommended in order to protect against the worst scenarios.

Warning:  many insurers do not cover if the disease is considered an epidemic. As the epidemic character of Covid19 has been proven, the insurer may oppose the exclusion clause and refuse to cover. Several insurers have confirmed to us that they will not cover as long as the situation is under the control of the authorities and there is no treatment.

Why these exclusions?

In the event of an epidemic, the insurer, which ensures hundreds or even thousands of people in the concerned area, would not have the financial capacity to suddenly cover a large population of travellers and tourists, nor to organize their repatriations simultaneously. This is why we find the exclusion of epidemics in almost all travel medical insurances.

Most often, as we can see now, it is the States and international public health authorities that take control (border closures, international flight controls, curfews, etc.). In such a situation, no insurer can organize medical evacuation or repatriation.

In conclusion, in order to make sure you have an insurance to cover Covid19 medical costs, carefully read your insurance contract, the definitions and conditions, the coverage limit and especially the list of exclusions.

And for those who are soon to come to Thailand, contact us to make sure the insurer will agree to issue you a certificate with mention of USD 100,000 Covid19 coverage. (Cf. Covid 19 Medical insurance requirement)

To contact us for quotations, personalized support and advice, please fill this online form by clicking here: 

unnamed.jpg

aoc_logo_full_1024x1024 (1)GOOGLE PLAY STORE     IOS APPLE

Website: www.aoc-insurancebroker.com | www.aoc-expatcare.com

Award Insurtech 2017 - Orias n° 08 045 906   

FRENCH TECH   Logo_Finance_Innovation   Logo-jef-label-certifié    gIhNLvcLgb_-U86FUqkcR4sFgxQtbHlKKTopoPH8

Liability and Financial guarantee Argo-Llyods HYAIF16ADLARG-1391

Before printing, think about the environment - Be Green Read On Screen

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Okay so I am engaged to be married to a Thai so I'm not in one of those six categories but it is logical to assume that when I am able to travel to Thailand the same restrictions will be applied to me. Any ideas on answers to the following questions?

1. What is this insurance? Is this the same kind of COVID-19 insurance that my fiancee got for herself and her son when the pandemic started? It basically covers a large amount of money.. I dunno the whole thing was in Thai and I didn't really understand it..

and more important:

2. What exactly do they mean by getting a certificate that you "do not pose a risk" to others regarding COVID-19. It seems like this is absolutely impossible to tick this box unless you've already had COVID-19 and are immune to it, because there is no current vaccine available.

It just seems kind of ridiculous there's caution and then there's implementing rules where it seems almost like it'd be simpler to just say you can't enter Thailand if you're a foreigner.

Unless I'm mistaken my only hope for ever being able to travel to Thailand is if I've already had COVID-19 and have antibodies or something, and I am tested <72 hours before going to Thailand.

• 4 weeks later...

Lots and lots of governments are scared of the costs tourists who end up needing treatment for COVID whilst on holiday.

This new requirement which mentions COVID 19 is to protect the Thai state. Other countries have started the same for example UAE.

I already had another company health insurance, but that was only for $80k and didn’t mention COVIDS on the certificate.

so I’ve now got a COVID-19 cover $100k, for 12 months, my advice is to contact them get a quote and then decide if its worth it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2020 at 3:45 AM, bolt said:

Lots and lots of governments are scared of the costs tourists who end up needing treatment for COVID whilst on holiday.

This new requirement which mentions COVID 19 is to protect the Thai state. Other countries have started the same for example UAE.

I already had another company health insurance, but that was only for $80k and didn’t mention COVIDS on the certificate.

so I’ve now got a COVID-19 cover $100k, for 12 months, my advice is to contact them get a quote and then decide if its worth it.

"contact them, get a quote".. Contact who ?

• 2 months later...