Anybody got it yet??

patongphil

I'm not sure if I have it - but I do know that every hot flush, itchy nose or cough I get makes me overly-concerned.

I do wonder how effective is the fairly easy to follow mantra of: hand-washing, no-face-touching and social distancing - with cases in places like America sky-rocketing - did those people not follow the mantra?  or is the mantra better than nothing, but overall pretty useless?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Who's to say everyone hasn't already had it?

Until they've have an antibody test, nobody can know.

Exactly, it's impossible to know without a Covid-19 antibody test. A fever and/or cough could be caused by half a dozen other things. Plus the asymptomatic ones will probably never know.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I think I had it in January when I travelled to Vietnam and back.

My misses and son caught it when I came back.

Didn't affect me much (cough and blocked ears), laid them both out for a week or more

But there was no testing to be had then, so who can say for sure.

I guess the rich and famous can afford to pay for tests.

I could be wrong! Can the doctors test you to see if you already had the virus! It would save a lot on stress and ...

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Didn't affect me much (cough and blocked ears), laid them both out for a week or more

And tigers in NYC zoo.

52 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

So far, I've only had it once and reckon it was swine flu, doctor didn't believe me but the annual jab i had would have stopped the others

Not necessarily..... the "standard" flu mutates which is why the jab is annual not once in a lifetime. So it may well have stopped SOME of the others.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, VBF said:

Not necessarily..... the "standard" flu mutates which is why the jab is annual not once in a lifetime. So it may well have stopped SOME of the others.

so although i had the annual jab there could have been certain strains of flu not included? in the UK i thought that was the point in doing it as late as possible in the year Sep\Oct

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

so although i had the annual jab there could have been certain strains of flu not included? in the UK i thought that was the point in doing it as late as possible in the year Sep\Oct

As I understand it, in UK, the plan is that each year, the flu virus mutates, so the vaccine is updated to defeat THAT YEAR's mutation.

There is more than 1 flu virus  - see paragraph "How effective......"  https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/flu-influenza-vaccine/ which says:

"It will not stop all flu viruses and the level of protection may vary, so it's not a 100% guarantee that you'll be flu-free."

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

How did you catch it in Vietnam? The same way the sailors from the carrier Theodore Roosevelt got it?

44 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

How did you catch it in Vietnam? The same way the sailors from the carrier Theodore Roosevelt got it?

Lots of Chinese tourists everywhere, both in Saigon and in all the airports.

Probably got it right at the start, Chiang Mai airport, of the flight to Saigon.

Edited by BritManToo

I was in and out of southern China and Thailand a lot last year. Working in Bangkok in Oct/Nov. January in Isaan. Feb split time between working in Bangkok and condo in Pattaya. Came back to UK in early March when I saw CV taking off and didn't want to have to depend on Thai hospital if I got it.

Arrived back in UK and chest felt tight for about a week. I woke up a couple of nights with difficult breathing. No cough or fever. Very strange. Feel fine now but would like an antibody test.

• Like 2