How easy is it to get an Irish Passport?

I was reading an article about getting an Irish passport if a parent or grandparent was an Irish national?

Im british, my grandmother passed away a few years ago. She was from Ireland.

Does that enable me to get an Irish passport?

Is it difficult to get?

What is the process?

36 minutes ago, jimmjam said:

I wanted to find out someone else's experience of obtaining one.

????

Thanks for the link though.

My brother did it a few years ago.  If you have the documents it's not hard.  Getting the documents may not be easy.  The Irish Consulate is apparently willing to take into consideration various intricacies of Irish family life.  For example, my mother's birth certificate has her name as Mary, but her family never called her Mary, but right from birth called her Eileen instead.  She naturalized as a US citizen with the name Eileen and that's the mother's name on my brother's own birth certificate.  So, Mary was born in Ireland, but Eileen gave birth to the American applicant for Irish citizenship.  It would seem to me to be an imperfect record of the transmission of citizenship, but the Consulate accepted it.

• Like 2

Just now, baansgr said:

Straight forward enough, always worth the effort a 2nd passport..

Thats what im thinking, my uk passport gets full within a year with all my non o visas and extensions. Hate sending it off back to the uk and having to wait for its return. Especially if something like this happened while it was in the uk.

2 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

My brother did it a few years ago.  If you have the documents it's not hard.  Getting the documents may not be easy.  The Irish Consulate is apparently willing to take into consideration various intricacies of Irish family life.  For example, my mother's birth certificate has her name as Mary, but her family never called her Mary, but right from birth called her Eileen instead.  She naturalized as a US citizen with the name Eileen and that's the mother's name on my brother's own birth certificate.  So, Mary was born in Ireland, but Eileen gave birth to the American applicant for Irish citizenship.  It would seem to me to be an imperfect record of the transmission of citizenship, but the Consulate accepted it.

My grandmother passed away a few years ago, so id have to see if my grandad has all the documents still. He is 90 years old, so his memory isnt great.

Plus with this covid crisis i will have to wait any way.

At least they seem a bit lenient with what you have said.

4 minutes ago, jimmjam said:

Thats what im thinking, my uk passport gets full within a year with all my non o visas and extensions. Hate sending it off back to the uk and having to wait for its return. Especially if something like this happened while it was in the uk.

How many pages in your UK passport?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, jimmjam said:

why are you sending it back to the UK.

10 minutes ago, steve187 said:

why are you sending it back to the UK.

I am mistaken, the agent i use keeps hold of the passport and sends it all back to me when the new passport arrives.

Think i need a beer.????

• Haha 1

As long as she didn't give up her citizenship then you are fully entitled. You need her birth and death certificate. Address of where she lived. Contact the Irish embassy. I got mine last year. Took about 3 months.

• Like 1

Just now, Dominion said:

As long as she didn't give up her citizenship then you are fully entitled. You need her birth and death certificate. Address of where she lived. Contact the Irish embassy. I got mine last year. Took about 3 months.

Will have to check, cheers.

47 minutes ago, jimmjam said:

I am mistaken, the agent i use keeps hold of the passport and sends it all back to me when the new passport arrives.

Think i need a beer.????

When I renewed my UK passport via agent last year, I asked for the old one to be returned to me and they did so. When the new passport was available at Trendy, I then had to send the old one back to the agent so that they could collect the new.

Edited by MartinL
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MartinL said:

When I renewed my UK passport via agent last year, I asked them to send the old one to be returned to me and they did so. When the new passport was available at Trendy, I then had to send the old one back to the agent so that they could collect the new one.

Yeah, a bit of a ball ache if you need the old passport for something, having to send it back and forth. Suppose its better than travelling to bangkok though.

If your grandmother was Irish you should have no problem but you will need certain documents to support your application the law is a bit stupid for instance I am Irish by birth and have an Irish passport however my wife is English so in order for her to be eligible for an Irish passport / citizenship she has to reside in Ireland for one whole year to qualify yet my children could get an Irish passport as I am there father and an Irish citizen have you ever heard anything so tik in your life .

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, jimmjam said:

Yeah, a bit of a ball ache if you need the old passport for something, having to send it back and forth. Suppose its better than travelling to bangkok though.

Marksendingmachine  he is on FB lives in Bangkok he does many different passports from all nationalities he did my UK one all done and dusted within 15 days my old passport came back with the new ones but had a hole in it to deem it no longer in use took them both to IO where they changed visa stamps etc that cost 500 baht . Mark is very reasonable and trustworthy UK passport office closed two weeks ago but I hear today that they have been called back in so it looks like it could be up and running after Easter.

8 hours ago, jimmjam said:

My grandmother passed away a few years ago, so id have to see if my grandad has all the documents still. He is 90 years old, so his memory isnt great.

Plus with this covid crisis i will have to wait any way.

At least they seem a bit lenient with what you have said.

I did it.

My mother was from Southern Ireland - I was born in England.

I had to get her original birth certificate from the City she was born in (as she passed 20 years ago and the original I had was unreadable and falling apart) - I called and paid with a credit card, then received it about 2 weeks later.

This was a few years ago, you can probably apply for the birth certificate online now maybe?

I now have a UK Passport and an EU Irish passport.

Worth the effort.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, crazykopite said:

however my wife is English so in order for her to be eligible for an Irish passport / citizenship she has to reside in Ireland for one whole year to qualify yet my children could get an Irish passport as I am there father and an Irish citizen have you ever heard anything so tik in your life .

Unfortunately, they have no choice. They have to make sure the relationship is real and they can only do that if you are in Ireland during the checking period. Otherwise, anyone in the world of Irish descent could be paid €5,000 by Nigerian or Indian gangs to have a fake marriage and give instant EU citizenship to anyone. It's a big problem.

Don't forget, Ireland has also legalized gay marriage, so, anyone could marry anyone.

Edited by donnacha