Latest insurance requirements O-A Thai Consulate Los Angeles

Does anyone know if the Thai Consulate Los Angeles requires both the Thai and Foreign health insurance policies? Or is the requirement just one policy. Here is the wording from the website:

Pursuant to the Resolution of the Council of Ministers of Thailand, dated 2 April B.E. 2562 (2019),
approving in principle for the stipulation of health insurance as an additional requirement for Non-Immigrant ‘O-A’ (Long Stay) visa application, the Royal Thai Embassy  has introduced the following requirements for the said visa application:

Effective from 31 October 2019 , the applicant must be medically insured for the entire period of stay in Thailand with the following coverage:

9.1. Health insurance policy document issued by a Thai or foreign insurance company, stating that the applicant is medically insured for the period and with coverage as mentioned above:

(a) In case of a foreign insurance company, the applicant must submit the original insurance policy document with 2 copies;

(b) In case of a Thai insurance company, the applicant must submit 2 copies of the insurance policy document or, if available, the original insurance policy document with 2 copies. A list of Thai insurance companies participating in the scheme can be found here: http://longstay.tgia.org

9.2. Foreign Insurance Certificate as stipulated by the Office of Insurance Commission and Health Insurance of Thailand, which must be completed, signed and stamped by the insurance company. The form can be downloaded here: Foreign Insurance Certificate Form

10 minutes ago, Tounge Thaied said:

You can count me out for a rushed likely ineffective "Inoculation"... You're still going to need insurance. 

Quite agree about insurance. I am not talking about what you need to protect your health. I am speculating about what might be needed to get a visa (not remotely the same thing).

We have no idea yet how effective any inoculation developed in the next year or two will be (or even if inoculations will be successfully developed). If inoculations that are, say, 60% effective are developed and deemed safe, I will get one. They will make at least as much sense as the inoculations for seasonal flu.

Edited by BritTim

5 hours ago, LowKey said:

Does anyone know if the Thai Consulate Los Angeles requires both the Thai and Foreign health insurance policies? Or is the requirement just one policy. Here is the wording from the website:

Only one of the two.

• Like 2

Thank You Ubon Joe for a correct answer, I will be returning to Thailand as soon as the flights resume ( mid May? ), with Covid-19 test in hand, Thai Medical certificate with Covid-19 rider ( signed by my Thai doctor in the U.S. ), 800,000 in Thai bank, one year 400,000-40,000 Thai health insurance policy on a 30 day and plan to convert to Non O-A in country using a well regarded agent. Does that plan sound feasible Joe?

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, LowKey said:

Thank You Ubon Joe for a correct answer, I will be returning to Thailand as soon as the flights resume ( mid May? ), with Covid-19 test in hand, Thai Medical certificate with Covid-19 rider ( signed by my Thai doctor in the U.S. ), 800,000 in Thai bank, one year 400,000-40,000 Thai health insurance policy on a 30 day and plan to convert to Non O-A in country using a well regarded agent. Does that plan sound feasible Joe?

You cannot convert to a Non O-A in country, a Non O-A can ONLY be applied for in your home-country.  You could however arrive VisaExempt or on a TouristVisa and then apply for a 90-day Non Imm O - retirement Visa at your local IO.  In the last 30 days of that 90-day Visa you can then apply for a 1-year extension of stay.

Taking that route also has the advantage that you would avoid the thai IO-approved health-insurance requirement scam, because that is only required for the O-A Visa application and extension and not for the Non Imm O - retirement Visa or extension.

>> I PM-ed you a comprehensive guideline document outlining all options/details to apply for or convert to a Non Imm O - retirement Visa and subsequent extension.

To access your PM-messages just click on the letter-icon next to your Profile when logged-in to the Forum.

15 minutes ago, LowKey said:

Unless you are applying for a OA visa at the consulate in LA 400K/40k baht is not required since your apparently plan on applying for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement at a immigration office. You cannot apply for a OA visa here in the country.

• Confused 1