Pattaya officials revise lockdown plans - new checkpoints to be set up

rooster59

48 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

And for some crazy reason it sounds like they are still going to have a checkpoint at the point around Central Jomtien again - for reasons which escape me.

I seriously doubt they can block all the sois and "back alley" shortcuts to stop people from getting in (or out) of that area.

I dont think they believe they can block all the sois, the message they are trying to give is to people way outside of Pattaya, please dont bother making the trip......

• Like 2

OK, 2 questions;

1. This 2,800 foreign tourists, does that include expats? I don't want to be thought of as a tourist.
  2. Will deliverys be allowed in? If not, I can see everything from food to water being a problem fast.

4 hours ago, essox essox said:

IS IT not AMAZING ALL THESE POLICE......to be used to check.....where are they IN NORMAL TIMES, to check helmetless riders??? and noisy exhausts and vehicles not showing TAX .....the list goes on....

Helmetless riders? You must mean "helmetless foreign riders"?

Don't worry, there's plenty of cops around to check up on them in "normal times". There's absolutely no shortage of takers for the exhausting task of fleecing tourists. The cops must be doing it tough with this shortage of cash on the streets.

1 hour ago, barryofthailand said:

Re: the Pattaya Rayong motorway 

they are still working on the motorway at Banchang and also I'm Rayong.   

I am sure that they could open one lane of it if the will was there, with the new checkpoints it isn't as critical, the original ones would have greatly benefited from partially opening it.

The whole thing was meant to start on Thursday last, now it's to be Tuesday. How many infections/deaths does that represent? By the time we get to plan C, they might as well not bother, especially as they will all have caught it anyway!

1 hour ago, CiderFizz said:

Hope they take into consideration the need for people to buy necessities many of which are only available in supermarkets. All the thousands of people live outside the lockdown zone will be denied access. That’s unreasonable. To be fair to all the supermarkets should all be shut too!

Wife went shopping at BigC Klang today. She inquired at one of the not-yet-active checkpoints and was told that all that was required to get into the locked zone is proof of residence in the district (ID for Thais) and a face mask.

Also, it seems BigC Klang is offering home delivery. I have not yet checked the exact circumstances.

4 minutes ago, a340bangla1 said:

Wife went shopping at BigC Klang today. She inquired at one of the not-yet-active checkpoints and was told that all that was required to get into the locked zone is proof of residence in the district (ID for Thais) and a face mask.

Also, it seems BigC Klang is offering home delivery. I have not yet checked the exact circumstances.

Last time I was there, there was a whack of Grab moto guys by the doors leading into the parkade, just waiting for orders to be placed/picked up.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, a340bangla1 said:

Haven't tried it myself, but here is the link to Big C Online ordering (you probably have to register on the site first though - maybe - so they can get your name, address and phone number for the delivery).

https://www.bigc.co.th/

1 hour ago, gamesgplayemail said:

Is it the definitive map ?

I drew the map based on Bangkok Post report. 

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1897390/pattaya-to-adjust-lockdown

However, Pattaya Mail describes a much larger area.

https://www.pattayamail.com/featured/pattaya-lockdown-set-for-early-next-week-295110

Either way it's going to be Songkran traffic re-enactment. 

17 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Maybe someone can make sense of this

Screenshot_20200411-132403_1.png

I think that was published in the Pattaya News before the latest 'red zone' wheeze was dreamed up by the mare. The map in post #47 is more like the latest information posted by rooster at the start of this thread, but it's still missing a few of the checkpoints as it's only covered the area between North Pattaya Road and South Pattaya Road. The list in post #1 also includes:

Thepprasit Intersection
Intersection near Boon Kanjanagaram Temple
I-yakan Intersection

so it's clearly going to extend down into Jomtien. "Thepprasit intersection" might be a number of things, but I think "Intersection near Boon Kanjanagaram Temple" is easier to figure out. I'd bet that's the intersection where Thepprasit Soi 7 (that runs past the athletics stadium and library) meets Soi Wat Bun. If correct, that means "Thepprasit intersection" is where Soi Kopai (already a checkpoint at its junction with South Pattaya Road) meets Thepprasit, as Soi 7 is right opposite. The next east-west road after Soi Wat Bun is Soi Chaiyapruek which is a bit short of junctions, and I'd guess that "I-yakan Intersection" is the one in the middle of the soi, not far from Baan Suan Lalana, but I'm less sure about that.

Maybe somebody more familiar with North Pattaya and Naklua than I am can fill in the gaps for the first two checkpoints in the list:

At Mareewit School
Near Mueang Jamlong

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, essox essox said:

IS IT not AMAZING ALL THESE POLICE......to be used to check.....where are they IN NORMAL TIMES, to check helmetless riders??? and noisy exhausts and vehicles not showing TAX .....the list goes on....

Agree, and we are ecpecting those very prople who disregard helmet, vehicle condition and road law to abide by the lock-down and travel restrictions. 

5 hours ago, J Town said:

I ride my pushbike on that motorway. There is a major section NOT finished. Not large, could be completed in a few days, but there is a reason it's not finished us minions aren't allowed to know. Some stupid politics I'm sure.

"Penalty clause?"

Meanwhile, the Pattaya Mail article makes it sound like the checkpoints are going to be at the major intersections along Sukhumvit:

"With the new entry points into Pattaya, Sukhumvit Road becomes the boundary dividing East and West Pattaya.

1. In front of Maryvit School, Sukhumvit Road.
2. In front of Mini Siam, Sukhumvit Road.
3. North Pattaya intersection, Sukhumvit Road.
4. Central Pattaya intersection, Sukhumvit Road.
5. South Pattaya intersection, Sukhumvit Road.
6. Thepprasit Road intersection, Sukhumvit Road.
7. Wat Boon Kanjanaram intersection, Sukhumvit Road.
8. District Attorney intersection (Huay Yai) Sukhumvit Rd, Inbound direction.
"

Pattaya Lockdown set for early next week

3 hours ago, Guderian said:

I try to be supportive to the authorities and not carp at them constantly as I know they've got a difficult job to do. This fiasco, however, is on a different level and richly deserves ridicule. They clearly don't even know what their objective is. The original plan was to keep people not living on the Bright Side away for the duration of Songkran, which seemed like a good idea given the priorities of social distancing and self-isolation. Ten days of checkpoints, Songkran safely out of the way, and then things could go back as they were.

Having utterly failed to manage to implement that plan, something a moderately smart child with a decent knowledge of Pattaya's geography could have achieved, they now appear to have given up on the whole "stop-Songkran" objective and are instead trying to deflect criticism away from their own ineptitude and onto the unclean foreigners still left in the city. I expect this approach probably works well on Thai social media, but for the administration of one of the richest cities in Thailand, and one that owes its very existence to those same unclean foreigners, it's a disgrace.

It's time the mayor and his administration hung their heads in shame, admitted that they're simply not up to the job and resigned. Or maybe Prayut can send them all off to inactive posts, lol.

I dont agree with you about them giving up on the stop Songkran idea. You should know that normally Songkran starts in Pattaya with the idiots starting to throw water on the 10th and continues until he 19th. As Tuesday is only the 14th, they would have checkpoints in place for 6 days up until 19th.

15 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Meanwhile, the Pattaya Mail article makes it sound like the checkpoints are going to be at the major intersections along Sukhumvit:

"With the new entry points into Pattaya, Sukhumvit Road becomes the boundary dividing East and West Pattaya.

1. In front of Maryvit School, Sukhumvit Road.
2. In front of Mini Siam, Sukhumvit Road.
3. North Pattaya intersection, Sukhumvit Road.
4. Central Pattaya intersection, Sukhumvit Road.
5. South Pattaya intersection, Sukhumvit Road.
6. Thepprasit Road intersection, Sukhumvit Road.
7. Wat Boon Kanjanaram intersection, Sukhumvit Road.
8. District Attorney intersection (Huay Yai) Sukhumvit Rd, Inbound direction.
"

Pattaya Lockdown set for early next week

Yes I believe what you quote is the correct version, unless they change it again. Starts on the 14th.

one suspected that Dengue was unreported and now looking at the chaos in Pattaya one its the idea that the gathering of meaningful evidence will be lost amidst  shambolic police checkpoints causing unnecessary breaches of social distancing.

Thailand's figures are low on a world scale but as yet there is no explanation the evidence points to the contrary.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jimn said:

I dont agree with you about them giving up on the stop Songkran idea. You should know that normally Songkran starts in Pattaya with the idiots starting to throw water on the 10th and continues until he 19th. As Tuesday is only the 14th, they would have checkpoints in place for 6 days up until 19th.

Yeah sure, but the biggest number of people celebrating and throwing water and getting drunk is always on Sukhumvit, not at the beach. Now with the new checkpoints being set up just east of Third Road, Sukhumvit will be open to everybody from outside the city to come and do their usual thing. How is that discouraging people from celebrating the water festival as they always do?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Grusa said:

The whole thing was meant to start on Thursday last, now it's to be Tuesday. How many infections/deaths does that represent? By the time we get to plan C, they might as well not bother, especially as they will all have caught it anyway!

By my calculation.......errrrrr......one, aged about 86, a male, probably suffering from some breathing thing.....

• Like 2

7 hours ago, J Town said:

I ride my pushbike on that motorway. There is a major section NOT finished. Not large, could be completed in a few days, but there is a reason it's not finished us minions aren't allowed to know. Some stupid politics I'm sure.

Follow the money

• Like 1

Curious to know how the lock down will affect songthaew service in the area, (Pattaya - Jomtien - Naklua)?

If any of the 2,800 foreign tourists being held in the inner part of the city (Pattaya)  need to go to Jomtien Immigration will they be allowed to travel there?

Will they be allowed to travel by songthaew?

2 hours ago, Guderian said:

I think that was published in the Pattaya News before the latest 'red zone' wheeze was dreamed up by the mare. The map in post #47 is more like the latest information posted by rooster at the start of this thread, but it's still missing a few of the checkpoints as it's only covered the area between North Pattaya Road and South Pattaya Road. The list in post #1 also includes:

Thepprasit Intersection
Intersection near Boon Kanjanagaram Temple
I-yakan Intersection

so it's clearly going to extend down into Jomtien. "Thepprasit intersection" might be a number of things, but I think "Intersection near Boon Kanjanagaram Temple" is easier to figure out. I'd bet that's the intersection where Thepprasit Soi 7 (that runs past the athletics stadium and library) meets Soi Wat Bun. If correct, that means "Thepprasit intersection" is where Soi Kopai (already a checkpoint at its junction with South Pattaya Road) meets Thepprasit, as Soi 7 is right opposite. The next east-west road after Soi Wat Bun is Soi Chaiyapruek which is a bit short of junctions, and I'd guess that "I-yakan Intersection" is the one in the middle of the soi, not far from Baan Suan Lalana, but I'm less sure about that.

Maybe somebody more familiar with North Pattaya and Naklua than I am can fill in the gaps for the first two checkpoints in the list:

At Mareewit School
Near Mueang Jamlong

sorry mate, but meaningless to many if it dosn't come with an English google map projection