Thai provinces ban alcohol sales ahead of New Year to curb coronavirus spread

rooster59

4 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

That is my primary goal - lol

Why couldn't they give us 24 hour notice - boo hoo

They did. I heard about it on the 8th, and thought, "Should I go out this evening?" I waited until Thursday the 9th. Got one bottle at the corner store. They didn't have any vodka, so got one of those at Tops. The girls in the liquor department laughed and said they were having a busy day. I'm not a huge drinker; two will last me ten days, easy. 

25 minutes ago, LawrenceN said:
5 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

Can anyone offer a scientific reason for this decision?  I am struggling to understand the logic behind these bans. I know the "being seen to do something" reaction, but this does seem to be a little beyond the usual level of incomprehensible.

Yes, if you consider Sociology to be science.

If you consider psychology to be a science, you'd find a rich case study in dysfunctional grandstanding and one upmanship between lowly provincial governors, each eager to outstupid the rest in demonstrating their tough actions to their superiors. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, thonglorjimmy said:

So basically you seem to be implying that the Government don't trust their citizens to act responsibly or the police to monitor or, heaven forbid, enforce any sort of responsible behaviour. 

Hardly a conspiracy theory, pretty indicitive of how the Government views the citizens they are supposed to represent.
Many people enjoy a tipple in the comfort of their own homes, I certainly do, it doesn't mean that after a glass or two of wine in the comfort of my own home I'm going to run riot,
It's bad enough that the leaders of this fair land wish to to ban the sale of alcohol for a couple of weeks, but for the life of me I can't see the reason to ban sales until the end of the month, other than to demonstrate how powerful they are.     

They don't trust them to act responsible when it comes to voting, they don't trust them to act responsible when it comes to going to the temple on Buddah days, and they dont trust them to be responsible when certain people pass away...so it's only natural they don't trust them to be responsible when the whole world is falling down around them.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

Can anyone offer a scientific reason for this decision?  I am struggling to understand the logic behind these bans. I know the "being seen to do something" reaction, but this does seem to be a little beyond the usual level of incomprehensible.

Crazy. Hospitals use alcohol to kill germs. Why not us, too?

It is to try & avoid social gatherings 

Those of you having a big bitch on here should have the brains to realize that it is not the alcohol as such that they are trying to ban. It is the ongoing effects of same.

Any of you that have been here a while will know what happens when a host has a carton of Lao Khao on hand. Never stop till it is finished & the results are not conducive to social distancing.

Unfortunately again it is "having to apply rules for the lowest common denominator"

if you know what that means, if not well, maybe it applies to you

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

When people drink they socialize. No social distancing. When people drink too much, they tend to forget about the curfew...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The reason it has been banned to help remove the temptation for people to congregate during what would have been Songkran. 

On the small soi I live on, a few of my neighbors and their friends have been getting together almost every night for the last week or so for drinks. They don't wear masks, don't practice social distancing and act like the rules don't pertain to them. Hopefully this will put a stop to their partying. Btw, none of these neighbors and their friends are Thai. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Seems like the possibilities to get alcohol is the most important thing to focus on this forum. Already 3 news articles about it today. Hilarious!

Yeah and it is obviously getting to some of the TV bar stool keyboard tappers as some of my comments or replies lead to weird, self-generated, unrelated replies coming at me as they  obviously cannot keep it real!!!! Strange!! ???????????????????????????????? ( P.S. Kanchanaburi stopped alcohol 2 days ago unannounced... Yes I have stocked up before, yes I don't use my laptop for reading TV so no ads problems etc. etc.)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, gjoo888 said:

On the small soi I live on, a few of my neighbors and their friends have been getting together almost every night for the last week or so for drinks. They don't wear masks, don't practice social distancing and act like the rules don't pertain to them. Hopefully this will put a stop to their partying. Btw, none of these neighbors and their friends are Thai. 

Then you are morally bound to report them then. I would.

• Sad 2

20 minutes ago, DPKANKAN said:

Yeah and it is obviously getting to some of the TV bar stool keyboard tappers as some of my comments or replies lead to weird, self-generated, unrelated replies coming at me as they  obviously cannot keep it real!!!! Strange!! ???????????????????????????????? ( P.S. Kanchanaburi stopped alcohol 2 days ago unannounced... Yes I have stocked up before, yes I don't use my laptop for reading TV so no ads problems etc. etc.)

Excuse me, but can I help you with something?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, thonglorjimmy said:

but for the life of me I can't see the reason to ban sales until the end of the month, other than to demonstrate how powerful they are.     

And there it is.

One can only hope it backfires on them.

Edited by ftpjtm
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

Thanks for confirming that reading is not your strongpoint- neither writing,using this as an example.

Seems to me by looking above that I am not alone with the writing problem. How does it feel to shoot yourself in the foot?

5 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The reason it has been banned to help remove the temptation for people to congregate during what would have been Songkran. 

Point taken.  Discourage partying that significantly violates social-distancing.  It does make sense.  However, my own practice is much more akin to the asceticism of Saint George of Thorogood, who famously chanted (in measured Blues vocal): 

“I drink alone ...

With nobody else ... ...

And you know when I drink alone ...

I prefer to be by myself.” 

So, maybe I’m an outlier here in Thailand, suffering as collateral damage from the broad strokes of the almighty State.  I’m gonna have to take stock and go into serious rationing for the duration.  Thank the gods for the consolation of the Blues.

8 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

Link between alcohol consumption and reckless behavior.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1