Mass-testing not that effective in battle against contagion

webfact

6 hours ago, smedly said:

Second - as I have been saying all along, Thailand does not want to spend the money on testing because it would cost too much !!!! - well that is all about priorities and what the government regards as important - seems the health of the population is well down the list.

You mean just the same as other countries. Of course the Thai bashers would have you believe that although tests may not be available, the Thai government would not want them to be available.

A California police detective who died of coronavirus requested to be tested twice for the disease and was denied, according to a report.

Marylou Armer, a 43-year-old detective with the Santa Rosa Police Department was allegedly told by doctors that her age and lack of an underlying medical condition meant she was not a risk, according to her sister, The Press Democrat reported.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/coronavirus-police-officer-death-hospital-testing-us-northern-california-a9463171.html?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=INDNEWS%2314042020&utm_term=IND_Headlines_Masterlist_CDP

5 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Well if a bat infected with the virus flew to the island and was consumed by the inhabitants then I suspect the island's population would suffer a similar fate as anywhere else.Infection could also be sent to the island by a drone and remotely released to spread the infection with similar results.Does that answer your question?

I can see the alcohol ban is having results.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

It's rather disingenuous of you to say that IamNoone88 is wrong.  It's understood by most readers that with a positive test result some action will be taken that DOES slow/stop the spread.....otherwise why would anyone do testing?

You didn't deduce that that is what IamNoone88 truly meant?

Are you trying to say that quarantine cannot be implemented unless testing has been carried out?

Testing produces information which can be used to influence decisions, I have never disputed that.

If testing was the only effective tool, they would never have survived the great plague.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Somebody just have to make fun of all the lack of foundation and lack of facts to support their comments. I am using the support of the country´s different agencies, administration, hospitals as well as highly educated persons in high posts in society. Exactly like they would do if they were in their home country. Why can not give the same courtesy to Thailand. The land many of them chose to stay, live or work in?

Regarding the mass testing done in South Korea, of course that worked. They did that because of the massive amount of infected people that invaded their hospitals. That worked for them. Thailand do not have that invasion, and have chosen another approach that evidently works for them. So, why complain when the situation is better her than in most of the complainers home countries?

The situation isn’t better in Thailand. They do very little testing and therefore they don’t know the real numbers, which are definitely much higher than what the official count is. 

Also, a lot of what has been posted by others In regards to this subject matter was the naked truth, and you making fun of everything anyone who doesn’t share your opinion posts makes you look like a...

I agree, though, the Thai bashing that goes on here in general just sucks big time! I’ve lived in Thailand for just over 10 years and I made for the most part only good experiences! I didn’t stay in the typical tourist places, though. From my experience, the Thais that are in contact with tourist all the time are much less friendly than the ones that aren’t. My guess is that’s because they have to put up with tourist BS on a daily basis. 

The complaint about how Thais always smile, but internally think the exact opposite gets on my nerves as well. What most foreigners obviously don’t understand is that Thais normally shun confrontation, so their default action is to smile instead of getting into an argument, and yes, I’m completely aware of the fact that there’s exceptions to that.

And of course Thailand has its downsides, just like any other country in the world! In my case the upsides outweighed the downsides by a mile! 

In my opinion it’s you reap what you sow in Thailand. It’s a different culture, so don’t expect everything to be just like back at home.

Edited by pacovl46
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

https-::gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com:apps:opsdashboard:index.html#:bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6.webloc 319 B · 0 downloads

This site may help some.......

The US has done over 2.5 million tests, but has the greatest number of cases....does testing really help?

Yes, with mass testing you do obviously find more cases and are then able to get a more realistic picture of the true situation.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

To all the naysayers who constantly claim that the official infection figures are only low because not enough testing is being carried out. How would you feel if the authorities started dragging random people off the street or out of their homes and forcing them to pay 5000 baht plus to be tested? Even if they feel perfectly, have been staying at home and self isolating and have had no contact with any known infected people?  Is that what you want??? 

Yes, that’s what I would want minus having to pay for the test. Checkpoints outside, everyone who leaves the house to get into to town for whatever reason will be tested, just like South Korea did. 

8 hours ago, smutcakes said:

To answer your questions, they would be crying about discrimination or something else, anything they can whinge/complain/criticize for.

Given most on TVF are presumably from Europe, UK, US and Australia, i would of thought they would have more to whinge about, about their home country handling of the situation..... rather than here.

Well, the situation “back home “ does not inconvenience them because they don’t live there. So there’s nothing to whine about in that regard. 

8 hours ago, Griffo63 said:

I'm no expert but I don't see any evidence of ambulances queuing at hospitals with urgent admissions, patients lying on gurneys waiting to die, or on ventilators in packed out hospital wards, exhausted nurses and doctors pleading for more PPE, mass cremations or makeshift graves. I don't even see pictures of ordinary folk applauding on Thursday evenings in support of key workers. So show me the evidence you naysayers  

Could it be that a lot people in Thailand actually can’t afford to go to a hospital to be treated, so therefore they won’t even bother? They just have someone go to the pharmacy for them to get some pills. 

Just take a look at all the countries that do extensive testing and compare their numbers with each other and then tell me what makes Thailand so special that their numbers are that low. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Incobart said:

I am not gonne do it here, just take the figures of reliable countries and compare the death rate with the population. The 80 % is because of the fast epidemic, it is temporary, some people die more quicker now, later the figure will maybe lower than average.

There is not one infected country that has a 80% higher mortality rate because of Covid19. Not one! The global average mortality rate of the cases that had an outcome, meaning the infected either have recovered or died is 21%. The case fatality rate of all people who got infected versus the ones who have died is, as of right now, 6.22%.

5 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Sure, you might be right. If I am wrong, I am pretty sure that this whole community on TVF is going to make me eat my words, TWICE! ????

It´s like I said n another post today in this thread. Sometimes you just have to gamble. According to me the odds are on the number they have presented. There are too many factors that are making it very hard to hide the reality in this case. So, it´s unusual times this time which makes my money to be on Thailand.

Thailand does NOT do extensive testing therefore they CANNOT know the exact number of infected and therefore their official numbers CANNOT accurately reflect the actual number of infected.

How’s that for not hiding and why is this so difficult to comprehend?!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DrTuner said:

They have a very obvious bias, but they also have one thing not many others don't have:

They got Chinese in China being able to access Chinese document and translate them to English. That's why I read what they got to say. Seems fairly unique. 

Yeah, they got Chinese in China being able to access Chinese documents which have been edited/censored by the Chinese government, seems very legit! 

2 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

Yeah, they got Chinese in China being able to access Chinese documents which have been edited/censored by the Chinese government, seems very legit! 

Because they are anti-China, it would be Chinese in China being able to access Chinese documents which have leaked and may have been edited by the Chinese in China or the Chinese at Epoch Times.

Who knows, it's all Chinese to me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Because they are anti-China, it would be Chinese in China being able to access Chinese documents which have leaked and may have been edited by the Chinese in China or the Chinese at Epoch Times.

Who knows, it's all Chinese to me. 

Yeah, I wouldn’t put my trust into Epoch Times as a source for legit information. 

12 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Now there is an explanation from people involved directly in the situation. Here we have a spokesperson from the Covid-19 control centre and a director from a research institute. Still we have the TVF Negative Brigade that puts themself over all of this and knows better. Hilarious! When is it time to understand that stupid looks stupid enough?

Tom (truck driver), DIck (plumber), Harry (brick layer) have now become virologist and epidemiologist. Now the World is starting to understand why Europe and the USA are seeing highest number of deaths and infection than any place on earth. Because they allowed Tom, Dick, and Harry to become virologist and epidemiologist during a crisis that they have no clue about to argue with experts to implement containment policies. This forum is a treasure trove of research mateials on Tom, DIck, and Harrry and their various adventures. 

Edited by Mulambana
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

There is not one infected country that has a 80% higher mortality rate because of Covid19. Not one! The global average mortality rate of the cases that had an outcome, meaning the infected either have recovered or died is 21%. The case fatality rate of all people who got infected versus the ones who have died is, as of right now, 6.22%.

ok, I give an example for my country and I am sure it is reliable and comparable to other countries

Belgium middle of Europe, 11 mil people, death rate normally 9.2/1000, that is ruffly 100.000/year or 272 per day.  covid victims average per day around 250,  how many % is that ?

15 minutes ago, Incobart said:

ok, I give an example for my country and I am sure it is reliable and comparable to other countries

Belgium middle of Europe, 11 mil people, death rate normally 9.2/1000, that is ruffly 100.000/year or 272 per day.  covid victims average per day around 250,  how many % is that ?

Ok, you got me there. 

Edited by pacovl46

16 minutes ago, Incobart said:

ok I checked some other countries and there it more between 40 and 60 % more deaths, you got me here ????

Edited by Incobart

42 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

Thailand does NOT do extensive testing therefore they CANNOT know the exact number of infected and therefore their official numbers CANNOT accurately reflect the actual number of infected.

How’s that for not hiding and why is this so difficult to comprehend?!

There is nothing that is hard to understand. As I wrote in another post, I am really not interested in that people that get well in home is being tested. Approx. 2 % of all that get sick need hospital. What is important to keep down, and the important numer to keep as low as possible is death per capita, which Thailand is mighty good at. How do you hide those numbers. I also wrote the difficulty of that in another post in this thread, so I am not going to repeat myself. I guess you just have to comprehend, as you put it.

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

There is nothing that is hard to understand. As I wrote in another post, I am really not interested in that people that get well in home is being tested. Approx. 2 % of all that get sick need hospital. What is important to keep down, and the important numer to keep as low as possible is death per capita, which Thailand is mighty good at. How do you hide those numbers. I also wrote the difficulty of that in another post in this thread, so I am not going to repeat myself. I guess you just have to comprehend, as you put it.

Death per capita is directly associated with the results of testing and Thais do testing the same way they do everything, chaotically and not very well. Plus, I wonder how many deaths which ought to be attributed to COVID-19 are attributed to a primary disease rather then a secondary disease catalysed by COVID-19 thereby minimising the per capita death rate from COVID-19.

The bottom line is this; it may well give a few no-hopers a warm and fuzzy feeling thinking they've got inherently better management than some other countries, but that is likely to be illusory at best or fraudulent at worst.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, pacovl46 said:

The situation isn’t better in Thailand. They do very little testing and therefore they don’t know the real numbers, which are definitely much higher than what the official count is. 

Also, a lot of what has been posted by others In regards to this subject matter was the naked truth, and you making fun of everything anyone who doesn’t share your opinion posts makes you look like a...

I agree, though, the Thai bashing that goes on here in general just sucks big time! I’ve lived in Thailand for just over 10 years and I made for the most part only good experiences! I didn’t stay in the typical tourist places, though. From my experience, the Thais that are in contact with tourist all the time are much less friendly than the ones that aren’t. My guess is that’s because they have to put up with tourist BS on a daily basis. 

The complaint about how Thais always smile, but internally think the exact opposite gets on my nerves as well. What most foreigners obviously don’t understand is that Thais normally shun confrontation, so their default action is to smile instead of getting into an argument, and yes, I’m completely aware of the fact that there’s exceptions to that.

And of course Thailand has its downsides, just like any other country in the world! In my case the upsides outweighed the downsides by a mile! 

In my opinion it’s you reap what you sow in Thailand. It’s a different culture, so don’t expect everything to be just like back at home.

I agree on almost everything. I also live a fair bit away from everything. However, I must disagree with that the situation isn´t better in Thailand. I do not see to the amount of infections. As you say, that can be many. But a person that feels so bad, they take themself to a hospital, and then they get into statistics. The other statistic is irrelevant. What is important is how low the amount of dead people are. I mean, if that was like in UK or US, how in the world would they be able to hide that. 

Let´s say like this, if they have file same many that died of the virus wrong as other causes of death. Then the toll would be double, but still one of the best countries regarding deaths per capita in the world. You just can´t hide that many people, and that´s why I trust the numbers given.

By the way, I am on my 23rd year in Thailand, so I know exactly what you are talking about when you mention good experiences, friendly Thais and that the upsides far outweighed the downsides. I feel very blessed that can be able to stay and live here for so long time.

10 minutes ago, ParkerN said:

The bottom line is this; it may well give a few no-hopers a warm and fuzzy feeling thinking they've got inherently better management than some other countries, but that is likely to be illusory at best or fraudulent at worst.

And what do you have to support that comment? Nothing? Exactly, because it´s only a guess, out of the will to see Thailand like a country you can look down on.

We can clearly see the numbers reported every day. That´s what I have that support all the faults in your post. What do you have, except disbelief and the need to sate something is wrong without any proof?

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

More likely to be because they treat tourists as a cash cow whereas the rural Thai tends to try and treat foreigners like friends. Until they don't, which effectively means until the foreigner stops trying to make them feel special. Thais have a huge inferiority complex in respect of anyone they haven't 'normalised' - which means effectively people they haven't corralled in their social circle yet. I do not feel the need to become a habitant of their social or cultural circle. If that's tourist BS then so be it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

And what do you have to support that comment? Nothing? Exactly, because it´s only a guess, out of the will to see Thailand like a country you can look down on.

You are quite wrong but I don't feel the need to explain why, you're allowed to think whatever you want to think and i wish you every joy from it.

Now, if you're finished explaining and justifying to yourself why you should feel superior to me, I'll let you be on your way. Kindly close the door on the way out. Preferably from the other side.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, vivananahuahin said:

The probem will be when the schools begin july 1,it is a very dangerous way to keep the cases so low,we will need live with this virus for months,we know it is very expensiv to test everyone but it is the only way to trace and isolate for a quarantine and avoid a desaster like Italy.I hope this is the good choice they do for the population.

Anyone know how much a Covid-19 test will cost a farang ,if he goes to a hospital to be tested