air pollution in the north

whiro

Smog is so bad in the north . . . . . weather forecast is not showing any sign of rain anytime soon.

We won't even know if it's Covid 19 or PM 2.5 when we have breathing problem. Is it just me feeling this way. I am at the foot of Chiang Dao mountain, and can't even see the mountain most of the day :)))

Edited by whiro
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

For some reason, there was a big drop in AQI between yesterday and today. I had my first bike ride in almost two weeks this morning. 

I live in Sansai, and rode out to the river. From there, I could see dark clouds blowing along over that whole ridge including Doi Suthep. Sure looked like rain to me. When I got home, I texted a friend north of MaaeRim. She saw the clouds overhead, but said no rain. 

I wonder if folks in, say Samoeng got any rain. 

1 hour ago, thaiboss said:

I am here in thailand since 1990  ITS A ONGOING PROBLEM getting worse every year nobody do anything for it

I have been here a good while, the pollution in CM has long been a problem and the reason I never retired there, I don't think the pollution is any worse now than it has been in the past just that social media lets people talk about it more and AQI is now easy to read whereas not that many years ago the means to monitor was not available, one things for sure - nothing is going to be done about it!

Sure air quality is terrible,but slowly the local farmers are changing from burning to just plowing the stubble back in.

The major problem now is the fires on the mountains,whether set on purpose by the mushroom gatherers or by more natural means.

That and the lack of garbage collection that leaves most villagers no option but to burn there trash (usually at night  to avoid getting fined). Makes air quality even worse at night when theirs no escaping it.

At well over 3 times the max limit for PPM its sure to cause respiratory problems.

Lampang did not get any of the recent rains. And the fire burners did not take any notice of the call to stay inside and isolate. They love seeing the fire and smoke emanating from their joyous pastime. So we all have to breathe it in 24/7. LLorL  I guess.

20200324_091908.jpg

8 hours ago, thaiboss said:

I am here in thailand since 1990  ITS A ONGOING PROBLEM getting worse every year nobody do anything for it

I must have jinxed it.

Just few hours after I started the topic, it rained ! Very mild shower only for less than half an hour, but it was soooooo nice to hear the rain drops hitting my roof :)))))))

7 hours ago, LawrenceN said:

For some reason, there was a big drop in AQI between yesterday and today. I had my first bike ride in almost two weeks this morning. 

I live in Sansai, and rode out to the river. From there, I could see dark clouds blowing along over that whole ridge including Doi Suthep. Sure looked like rain to me. When I got home, I texted a friend north of MaaeRim. She saw the clouds overhead, but said no rain. 

I wonder if folks in, say Samoeng got any rain. 

I must have jinxed it.

Just few hours after I started the topic, it rained ! Very mild shower only for less than half an hour, but it was soooooo nice to hear the rain drops hitting my roof :)))))))

6 hours ago, villagefarang said:

We had torrential winds and rain up north in parts of Chiang Rai.  Air was much better this morning so perhaps you are getting some of the benefits of our storm.

I must have jinxed it.