Govt takes Bt5.4bn hit as 3rd lottery draw cancelled

webfact

Govt takes Bt5.4bn hit as 3rd lottery draw cancelled

By THE NATION

800_80b9b5fc66cedb9.jpg?v=1586935621

Lottery stalls in Si Saket province (File Photo)

The April 1 lottery draw has been postponed for a second time, from May 2 to May 16, the Government Lottery Office (GLO) announced on Wednesday (April 15).

“The postponement aims to encourage social distancing according to the government’s policy to prevent the spread of Covid-19,” said GLO chairman Phachara Anantasilp.

“We decided to postpone it for a second time as the Covid-19 situation still persists and selling tickets on May 2 could result in public gatherings, [which goes] against government recommendations.”

The prize draw for April 1 has been rescheduled to take place at the Government Lottery Office in Nonthaburi on May 16 from 2.30pm to 4pm, while the selling of tickets for May 16’s draw will be cancelled.

The GLO’s precautions against the transmission of Covid-19 have now resulted in the cancellation of three lottery draws – April 16, May 2 and May 16. “The cancellations will cost the government Bt5.4 billion in revenue from lottery ticket sales, as each draw generate Bt1.8 billion on average,” said Phachara.

He added that the GLO is studying the possibility of selling tickets online.

“We need to thoroughly consider the impact of online selling for the public and existing sellers before making the decision,” he said, referring to the fact that many disabled and underprivileged people make their living from selling lottery tickets.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30386044

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-15
  • Thanks 1

And where and whom exactly do these lottery funds go to?  Are they used for charities and other good causes like the majority of other National Lottery funds in  other countries, whose prizes are much, much larger or is it just bunged into the general exchequer to pay for submarines and tanks etc. If, indeed the profit made per draw is ฿1.8 billion, surely they could make the prize money a great deal more appealing, maybe a top prize of 10, or 25 million!  Additionally, if they put it on-line, they would not have to cancel it and still get their revenue!

This might be the event that eventually persuades them to move the lottery into the 21st century.

The problem is they have to do it without upsetting the existing salespersons too much and of course the underground lottery organisers, many of whom are "influential people". Difficult one! Anywhere else it would be quite straightforward.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, webfact said:

He added that the GLO is studying the possibility of selling tickets online.

As has been done in Europe for .... for almost 40 years ...
Better late than never !

it won't do the trick for the tens of thousands of ticket sellers who will have to find other jobs.
The Thai military really has the art of not being loved.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, graemeaylward said:

And where and whom exactly do these lottery funds go to?  Are they used for charities and other good causes like the majority of other National Lottery funds in  other countries, whose prizes are much, much larger or is it just bunged into the general exchequer to pay for submarines and tanks etc. If, indeed the profit made per draw is ฿1.8 billion, surely they could make the prize money a great deal more appealing, maybe a top prize of 10, or 25 million!  Additionally, if they put it on-line, they would not have to cancel it and still get their revenue!

We have a hospital ambulance in our area, with a sticker on saying Provided from state lottery funds,and I would say they are other schemes that the lottery help out with.

In the UK they have been some mad cap schemes for using lottery money, a lot Thailand would not have.  

2 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

it won't do the trick for the tens of thousands of ticket sellers who will have to find other jobs.

That would be great! I hate it when they come in a restaurant while we are eating to annoy us with tickets....also when they sit on the chairs outside which are for guests or customers.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, fruitman said:

That would be great! I hate it when they come in a restaurant while we are eating to annoy us with tickets....also when they sit on the chairs outside which are for guests or customers.

When we have lived here for a long time like me, it does not bother me at all that they come so I can buy  a ticket;
sometimes even I have to call them because when they see a farang they dare not come; they do not imagine that one can want to play like the thai people

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

When we have lived here for a long time like me, it does not bother me at all that they come so I can buy  a ticket;
sometimes even I have to call them because when they see a farang they dare not come; they do not imagine that one can want to play like the thai people

I see, so you also buy roses from those vendors who come inside and you feed the soidogs when they come into the restaurant, you throw loads of food on the floor like the locals do in Sizzlers, bring screaming children in the restaurant, always ask for a doggybag, everything like a local right?

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, fruitman said:

I see, so you also buy roses from those vendors who come inside and you feed the soidogs when they come into the restaurant, you throw loads of food on the floor like the locals do in Sizzlers, bring screaming children in the restaurant, always ask for a doggybag, everything like a local right?

You complain a lot.

The “Len Huay” illegal lottery more popular. 

I think not many foreigner know it. If you see same photo (below) that is it. 

Maybe you see before? 

44DE91E0-2910-429F-B789-1C905CC90543.jpeg

0E25B2F6-A869-4536-BB82-E11050EC5123.jpeg

• Like 2

20 hours ago, graemeaylward said:

Yep common sense and joined up thinking.

18 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

I think they could easily switch it to online without much hassle at all

It would mean less $$$ for the guys at the top though

But instant revenue for the country and hope  for the minions

14 hours ago, Monomial said:

Online sales will fundamentally change the nature of the Thai lottery. I'm not sure the population will go for it. Part of what makes the Thai lottery is hunting around for the exact ticket number you want. If you can simply go online and buy any number, as you do in other countries, then it will remove much of the culture surrounding it.

My wife is crazy and still plays the lottery every draw despite my explaining to her how foolish that is. She just tells me it gives her hope, and I suppose it is a better vice than heavy drinking. But she would not support online sales. She feels it is divine providence when she comes across a lucky ticket. And when that lucky ticket loses, she just ignores it and continues on with her questionable beliefs.

The Thai people do not want the lottery changed.

The thai people want many things like government handouts in times of need better pensions, but nobody wants to pay  direct  earnings tax, give people in need the money but thai thinking and the fact they don't like changes to there cultural belief will leave generations to come in the slow lane

@Yinn   Do you know where the profits from the legal Thai Lottery goes to ?  all to the government or does any go directly to charities ?

If they are worried about the disabled not having a job if the lottery went online why not just use some of the profits  and give them directly to the disabled.

Thaksin had  all the lottery machines  for online use ready and waiting..but for some reason shelved the idea  I wonder where all those machines went ?

The amount these tickets generate to the amount paid out in prizes is criminal. The odds on the Thai lottery are some of the worst of any in the world. Some people are getting very rich and I doubt the charities get anything really of note .

5 hours ago, AtlasAus said:

Umm... So what happens to the tickets already sold ? We have been buying some (don't usually) just to help out. 

They truly are clueless...

Tickets sold for the cancelled April 1 drawing will be used for the May 16 drawing.

• Like 1