Paul McCartney declares The Beatles are better than the Rolling Stones but says they 'admire each other'

snoop1130

44 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

If you are looking at musical, vocal harmonies and individual vocal ability, then The Byrds were far better than the Beatles and Stones put together.

I saw Roger McGuinn in concert all by himself in a show in Glasgow. You could not pick any individual from the Beatles or Stones to perform alone like he did.

The Byrds were copying the The Beatles, the Byrds would get a Dylan song which was in 3/4 time and turn it into a 4/4 time to make it more upbeat. But there is no doubt that Roger McGuinn was a superb guitarist, he was doing session work from a very early age. I saw him in Leeds at the Leeds City Variety Theatre where they used to record the Good Old Days, he was magnificent on his 12 string guitar.

Edited by vogie

A great band performs as a band and does so greatly. That is NOT the Beatles and never was.

Great albums in studio with effects and orchestrations? Yes. Better songwriters? Perhaps. More imagination? Yes. Better band? Not a chance by any measure.

Just now, WalkingOrders said:

A great band performs as a band and does so greatly. That is NOT the Beatles and never was.

Great albums in studio with effects and orchestrations? Yes. Better songwriters? Perhaps. More imagination? Yes. Better band? Not a chance by any measure.

Better songwriters, perhaps? Don't think there's any perhaps about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Hated one of the most influential and innovative bands of all time? Hmm, curious.

I thought it was two bands?

Hitler was influential and innovative. Am I supposed to like him too?

Edited by Grusa
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, vogie said:

The Byrds were copying the The Beatles, the Byrds would get a Dylan song which was in 3/4 time and turn it into a 4/4 time to make it more upbeat. But there is no doubt that Roger McGuinn was a superb guitarist, he was doing session work from a very early age. I saw him in Leeds at the Leeds City Variety Theatre where they used to record the Good Old Days, he was magnificent on his 12 string guitar.

Excellent post, but I cannot see where the Byrds were copying The Beatles, their style and music was nothing like theirs, you may as well say that The Beatles were copying Buddy Holly and The Crickets.

Although I liked Manfred Mann, The Byrds did Bob Dylan songs much better than they did.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Grusa said:

I thought it was two bands?

Hitler was influential and innovative. Am I supposed to like him too?

AFAIK the Beatles or the Stones didn't commit genocide, so that a ridiculous comparison. It is two bands, but only one IMO were the great innovators.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, UbonThani said:

Van Morrison

Leonard Cohen

much better

Aren't we talking Stones and Beatles? Not to say that there aren't other great songwriters, but most of them have come after the Beatles and never had anything like the influence that the Beatles did on popular music.

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

Aren't we talking Stones and Beatles? Not to say that there aren't other great songwriters, but most of them have come after the Beatles and never had anything like the influence that the Beatles did on popular music.

Blues came first. Beatles just catchy white folk junk really. Maybe 5 good songs and lots of junk. she loves me yeah etc what junk

• Haha 1

Just now, UbonThani said:

Blues came first. Beatles just catchy white folk junk really. Maybe 5 good songs and lots of junk. she loves me yeah etc what junk

Did they stop at those songs, or did they go on to make Sgt. Pepper, an album that sat the musical world on it's a*se? So 5 good songs? get real.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, giddyup said:

AFAIK the Beatles or the Stones didn't commit genocide, so that a ridiculous comparison. It is two bands, but only one IMO were the great innovators.

I felt like committing suicide when Ringo Starr sang.

• Haha 1

The Beatles icon John Lennon wrote some of the greatest songs in the history of music, but his ego definitely wasn’t too big to trash some of his best songs, and identify what he saw as his own shortcomings musically. Lennon sending huge money to a big name with a letter was revealed.

He called “Good Morning, Good Morning” a “piece of garbage.” He said, “I never liked that sort of pop opera on the other side, I think it’s junk. It was just bits of song thrown together.” He called “Mean Mr. Mustard” a “piece of garbage” as well to Rolling Stone magazine. “None of the songs had anything to do with each other, no thread at all. Only the fact that we stuck them together.”

He said he got the title for “Cry Baby Cry” from a commercial while watching television. “Another piece of rubbish,” John said shortly before his

tragic death in 1980.

http://www.alternativenation.net/john-lennon-called-the-beatles-hit-junk-death/

1 minute ago, UbonThani said:

It's about opinions.

You do realise that I hope.

Even Lennon said they produced junk!

No, he said that a few of of the songs were junk, and there's probably not a song writer alive who thinks that everything they wrote was gold.

• Like 1

Just now, UbonThani said:

He said a whole album was junk

Well, I guess the rest of the world disagreed. You don't like them, I get that, music is an individual taste, like art in general, but the facts prove that they were one of the most influential and innovative bands of all time.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

Well, I guess the rest of the world disagreed. You don't like them, I get that, music is an individual taste, like art in general, but the facts prove that they were one of the most influential and innovative bands of all time.

Yes along with 20 other bands.

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

Well they slaughtered a few good tunes........

The stones music always got my juices flowing, especially in 1971 when Exile on Main street came out, i was doing crazy things in Amsterdam as a teenager, it was a wonderful time to be alive.

3 years later I managed to see them at Earls Court, London.

Drugs, drink and beautiful girls watching the Rolling Stones can't get any better.

• Like 2