Buying Beer

I can't understand the near panic not to get a few bottles of nip, simply head to your nearest large market with a small pack, find a quiet shop that looks like they sell booze, tip the owner a wink, indicate your bag, nod towards the Sang Som, two minutes later you'll have two bottles in your bag, slip off unnoticed, back to your flat, just avoid any bobbies, or flashing lights. Almost all of my contacts there seem to be doing similar. I was watching a Youtube Livestream last night, when one of the viewers suggested the bloke grab a few bottles of jollop, you'd have thought he'd asked him to sneeze in a supermarket....

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NotYourBusiness said:

Does anyone have any reliable information on when the Thai/Cambodia land borders are scheduled to open? Last I heard it was April 18 but then the flights ban was extended so now it's a bit unclear on land borders.

BritManToo is apparently the expert on this. Ask him.

31 minutes ago, alocmrlj said:

The guy who drove me across the border told me i am allowed to buy 12x beer ,1L of 'strong' liquor and 1 carton of cigarettes. That's what I did. Is that correct? I thought 1l combined was the limit also? 

When I do my 90-day exit to Savannakhet I stay there just long enough to buy six large cans of Beer Lao and some coffee at the border. The last time I came through back in December I was warned that only six small cans are allowed.

20 hours ago, Paul Laycock1 said:

You must be kidding, buying a few beers is selfish and childish.

The world problems are not my fault.

Have you got a chip or bag of chips on your shoulder.

Nope, but he has something called common sense. That while it looks like you have been concentrating on beer and totally missed that the borders are closed. That´s like the whole point of them granting automatic emergency visas right now.

Amazing how different people have very different priorities.  I can't say that beer is  anywhere near the top of my list of things I am missing right now, or need to plan on getting.  Good quality cheese, yes,  nice beef sausages certainly, but alcohol  no.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Susco said:

To make it simple, borders open or closed, the alcohol ban includes transportation of alcohol

Yes I second that, transportatin is banned, well in Chonburi till the 30th, other areas have there own time lines.

21 hours ago, Paul Laycock1 said:

You must be kidding, buying a few beers is selfish and childish.

The world problems are not my fault.

Have you got a chip or bag of chips on your shoulder.

Have you missed the nationwide info about the closed borders to every neighbouring country? 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Have you missed the nationwide info about the closed borders to every neighbouring country? 

I watch the television and read google. Not seen anything about all borders being closed.

What I did see yesterday was that certain provinces were lifting the ban on alcohol on certain dates. Yasothon, Roiet and others were today 17th, we will see.

47 minutes ago, Paul Laycock1 said:

I watch the television and read google. Not seen anything about all borders being closed.

Supposing the border is open, have you investigated if Laos are allowing people in, do you have the COVID free certificate (valid for only 72 hours), the required 100,000 USD COVID insurance and a Thai work permit?

The restrictions on movement, especially foreigners, applies to the land borders as well as the airports.

Edited by Mattd
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Supposing the border is open, have you investigated if Laos are allowing people in, do you have the COVID free certificate (valid for only 72 hours), the required 100,000 USD COVID insurance and a Thai work permit?

The restrictions on movement, especially foreigners, applies to the land borders as well as the airports.

Why the hell would I need any of that. I’m just crossing the border not actually going anywhere, just crossing the bridge and coming straight back to get another 90 day stamp. Work permit? What planet are you on.

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

I hope they will arrest you at the border. 

Are you so addicted to alc that it's all what is in your mind? 

Where to get the next booze? ????

No I’m not addicted to alcohol just like a cold one while watching television. It was just a question and didn’t deserve a constant barrage of verbal abuse.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1