"Thai Elite" Visa Experience

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

There is certainly no reason for you to show 800k baht in the bank. Perhaps somebody is confused as to what you have now.

thanks a lot upon.

I try to clarify tomorrow.

Regards,

Now I got the shock email.

I send them yesterday an email, saying that I does not make any sense, having been approved for the elite visa but still needing 800k to show for my non-immigrant visa O-A which will be cancelled.

Just got an email back:

Under immigration regulation, foreigners who hold any type of non immigrant visa must maintain the standard qualification required for the current visa until the cancellation date.

The 800,000 baht statement is required to be shown to the immigration officer as part of the supporting document prior cancel the non-immigrant O visa.

Wow. Does mean you need 800k 2 months before cancellation of you non immigrant O-A visa.

I was approved on 03rd of march elite visa and have 3 months to pay the 500k

My current visa runs until 18th June.

So, I need 800k to show immigration to cancel my exiting visa and need to pay upfront 500k for the Elite, does mean, 1,300.000 baht in my bank.

I drew down on my 800k, knowing that I was approved Elite visa and kept the 500k to pay for it.

Now, the big trouble starts.

Will Elite refund me the 500k?

800k can't be shown for  2months prior to renewing my non imm; O-A as I have used some money.

9 minutes ago, AlfHuy said:

The 800,000 baht statement is required to be shown to the immigration officer as part of the supporting document prior cancel the non-immigrant O visa.

That indicates they think you have a extension of stay based upon retirement not a one year entry from a Non-OA visa.

Perhaps send them a copy of your visa and last entry stamp from it.

• Like 1

Just now, ubonjoe said:

That indicates they think you have a extension of stay based upon retirement not a one year entry from a Non-OA visa.

Perhaps send them a copy of your visa and last entry stamp from it.

Before you can apply for Elite, you need to send a copy of passport, visa, entry card etc;

They have all documentation when I applied and after 2 weeks, they approved.

I continue reading and now I see:

If you wish to cancel your Non O visa:

Any types of non immigrant visa holders must cancel their current visa at the immigration office where your visa has been issued or extended only. You will not be allowed to cancel at the Chaeng Wattana immigration if your visa was not issued there.

Wow.

My was issued in Brussels. Does mean I had to travel to Brussels, cancel my visa there, come back here and get the Elite.

They never told this stuff when I applied.

4 minutes ago, ericjose said:

There was uncertainty amongst many (myself included) regarding whether or not The Thai Elite Visa was considered a ‘resident visa’.

A resident visa does not exist. A person can only have permanent residency after applying for it and having it granted.

A Thai Elite PE or SE visa is about the same category as a tourist visa.

just called them.

O sorry sir, regulations changed last month. Now, everybody approved for the Elite visa but still holding a non O visa or education visa or B visa needs on the day the existing visa is cancelled, show 800k in the account, cancel the existing visa in the morning and in the afternoon, affix the elite visa.

Does mean, you pay 500k min for Elite but still have to show that. you have 2 months before cancelling your existing visa, 800k in your account.

Wow. I asked why she did not tell me. I would not have touched the 80Ok and probably even not chosen the Elite Visa.

Oh sorry sir....

Yes, my A...

Now, I can't renew my Non immigrant O-A visa as I don't have 800k for 2months and I can't get my Elite visa, as I can't cancel the old visa first, as I have no 800k

12 minutes ago, AlfHuy said:

O sorry sir, regulations changed last month. Now, everybody approved for the Elite visa but still holding a non O visa or education visa or B visa needs on the day the existing visa is cancelled, show 800k in the account, cancel the existing visa in the morning and in the afternoon, affix the elite visa.

I think they are very wrong. For a non-ed visa or a non-b visa no financial proof is requied to apply for an extenison.

You do not have an extension. All that you have is a admitted until date shown on your entry stamp that the OA visa allowed.

That is why I suggested you send a copy of your passport pages.

Does mean, you pay 500k min for Elite but still have to show that. you have 2 months before cancelling your existing visa, 800k in your account.

No

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I think they are very wrong. For a non-ed visa or a non-b visa no financial proof is requied to apply for an extenison.

You do not have an extension. All that you have is a admitted until date shown on your entry stamp that the OA visa allowed.

That is why I suggested you send a copy of your passport pages.

No

When you apply, they want to see everything. Visa, valid until, TM 30 etc.  When all complete, they send to immigration for approval. Mine was approved 03rd march. 

Apparently, immigration law changed and now, you pay your 500k or whatever to get your Elite visa. This must be paid in full before Elite goes with you to immigration to get the new visa affixed. If you have an existing visa, this one will be cancelled in the morning and the Elite affixed in the afternoon.

Now, what's new, immigration wants to see the 800k in my account in order to cancel the non imm. O-A visa.

Does mean, I have paid 500k for Elite but still need to hold 800k in order to cancel this visa. That's 1,300.000 you must have available.

7 minutes ago, AlfHuy said:

Now, what's new, immigration wants to see the 800k in my account in order to cancel the non imm. O-A visa.

That is not correct since you did not have to show 800k baht in a Thai baht to apply for your OA visa.

I still think they are confusing your OA visa entry with an extension of stay. And immigration does not cancel visas. The can only cancel a permit to stay.

Before if you had an extension immigration would not cancel a long stay extension. They required people to leave the country to cancel out their extension. But they have adjusted their requirements due to current  situation where people cannot leave and re-enter the country.

• Like 2

That is not correct since you did not have to show 800k baht in a Thai baht to apply for your OA visa.

I still think they are confusing your OA visa entry with an extension of stay. And immigration does not cancel visas. The can only cancel a permit to stay.

Before if you had an extension immigration would not cancel a long stay extension. They required people to leave the country to cancel out their extension. But they have adjusted their requirements due to current  situation where people cannot leave and re-enter the country.

I told her, if she had this information from immigration, she had to inform customers with an approved Elite visa and new applicants about this requirements.

Oh sorry sir....

We have to much work. Every months 200 new customers and 500 in the pipeline. I told her, you better start to do a proper work if not, you will be in deep trouble. Taking 500k or more from customers to get this Elite visa but then, the day the old visa has to be cancelled in order to get the Elite visa, suddenly, customer has to show 800k in bank for 2 months. No Response!!!

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

When I applied for the Non Imm. O-A in Belgium at the Thai embassy, YES, they needed to see evidence that there was a min of 800k Thai baht in my bank, prior application and a letter from my bank in Europe, confirming this.

4 minutes ago, AlfHuy said:

When I applied for the Non Imm. O-A in Belgium at the Thai embassy, YES, they needed to see evidence that there was a min of 800k Thai baht in my bank, prior application and a letter from my bank in Europe, confirming this.

You only had to prove the 800k baht in the bank on day you applied and it was a bank Belgium. Not the same as applying for an extension here.

I don't think they have even looked at your passport copies you sent before. Ask them to check with immigration again and try to get them to understand you do not have a extension based upon retirement.

• Like 1

You only had to prove the 800k baht in the bank on day you applied and it was a bank Belgium. Not the same as applying for an extension here.

Thanks upon.

I am just lost now.

I can't renew my non imm. O-A as I can't show the 800k in bank for 2 months.

I paid 500k for Elite visa (who knows if I get this back)

I can't get my Elite visa because first, I need to cancel the existing non imm O-a and to do so, I need to show 800k for 2 months.

Welcome to the club.

3 minutes ago, AlfHuy said:

Thanks upon.

I think you missed the edit I did to my post.

Hammer on Thai Elite to get them to understand you do not have an extension. Your permit to stay in the country is about equal to a tourist visa entry.

• Like 2

I can't renew my non imm. O-A as I can't show the 800k in bank for 2 months.

I paid 500k for Elite visa (who knows if I get this back)

I can't get my Elite visa because first, I need to cancel the existing non imm O-a and to do so, I nas UJ eed to show 800k for 2 months.

UbonJoe is 100% correct.

Most probably the staff at ThaiElite dealing with your application are not aware that there is NO NEED to have 800K on a thai bank-account when you have been stamped in for a 1-year extension of stay on the basis of your still valid Non Imm O-A Visa.

Do send them again - as UJ suggests - a scan of your Non Imm O-A Visa sticker as well as a scan of the 1-year permission to stay you got based on that O-A Visa when last entering the country.

They should understand that you are NOT on a 1-year extension of stay, but that you simply got a permission to stay based on your valid Non Imm O-A Visa.

Edited by Peter Denis

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I think you missed the edit I did to my post.

Hammer on Thai Elite to get them to understand you do not have an extension. Your permit to stay in the country is about equal to a tourist visa entry.

Did you ever try to make someone here to understand something??

I told her on the phone that she has all my paperwork. Oh sir, I don't have prove of your current visa. I told her, open your eyes. I sent you everything. If something was missing, you would not have send it to immigration and they would not have approved in 2 weeks. Oh sorry sir.

Can I have your phone number sir? What? I am just calling you and you can't see my number on your screen. What about my address and phone number I did send you, when I applied.    Quiet.....

2 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

UbonJoe is 100% correct.

Most probably the staff at ThaiElite dealing with your application are not aware that there is NO NEED to have 800K on a thai bank-account when you have been stamped in for a 1-year extension of stay on the basis of your still valid Non Imm O-A Visa.

Do send them again - as UJ suggests - a scan of your Non Imm O-A Visa sticker as well as a scan of the 1-year permission to stay you got based on that O-A Visa when last entering the country.

thanks Peter. I will try this but when I emailed them and called them, they had no clue at all. I told her, to show my the publication that immigration did change the law and request 800k in bank when someone cancels the visa. Oh sir, nothing in writing. So, how do you know about? Oh, I was informed. Why did you not inform me, once you got this information. Oh sorry, to busy...

First, relax! Nothing is ever settled in Thailand (or probably anywhere else) by yelling over the telephone!  Better to have a dram or two!

Second, you are completing a change of status, not applying for an extension of a permission to stay!

Source:  Thai Elite

So, take a deep breath, perhaps two or three, and chill! Five hours to go until the golden curfew hour!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Looks like elite is running a scam. Anyway, the best option is to demand elite to refund your money. Once you get your money go to an agent, pay 15K and extend your O-A for another year. No 800K and health insurance  rare required. 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, AlfHuy said:

thanks Peter. I will try this but when I emailed them and called them, they had no clue at all. I told her, to show my the publication that immigration did change the law and request 800k in bank when someone cancels the visa. Oh sir, nothing in writing. So, how do you know about? Oh, I was informed. Why did you not inform me, once you got this information. Oh sorry, to busy...

Hi Alf,

I can imagine that you are upset.  I would be too when dealing with so much incompetence.

But when you call ThaiElite again and you get the same clueless staff-member, insist to talk to her manager and explain the situation.

It is important that they understand that you are NOT on a 1-year extension of stay issued by a local IO based on your Non Imm O-A Visa.  If that would be the case you would have no problem providing the evidence that you were in compliance with the financial requirements.

Your situation is comparable with someone that entered Thailand VisaExempt or on a Tourist Visa.  You have simply been stamped in for the permission to stay by BORDER-Immigration for the 1-year your Non Imm O-A Visa entitles you to.  And so you have NEVER dealt with a local IO to apply for a 1-year extension of stay.

For sure there will have been other Non Imm O-A Visa holders in that situation that applied for an Elite Visa, so a talk with someone in charge at the Elite Visa office should quickly resolve the issue.

And even if it does not get resolved, there is no reason for panic or anxiety as you still have several other options to deal with the situation, and ensure that you can continue to stay long-term in Thailand.

It would lead me too far to go into all those possible options, but no problem contacting me on my mobile phone or WhatsApp (I will PM you the contact details).

As a fellow Belgian also staying in Thailand on a Non Imm O-A Visa, I am well versed in all the options to either apply for an extension of stay or switching to a different Visa type that would allow you to stay long-term in Thailand. 

Note: When you are from the dutch-speaking part of Belgium we can communicate in flemish if that is easier for you (and it's also my mother tongue).  I also understand French quite well but would have to respond in english, as my french is not strong enough for an active dialogue.

Relax, everything will work out fine!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Hi Alf,

I can imagine that you are upset.  I would be too when dealing with so much incompetence.

But when you call ThaiElite again and you get the same clueless staff-member, insist to talk to her manager and explain the situation.

It is important that they understand that you are NOT on a 1-year extension of stay issued by a local IO based on your Non Imm O-A Visa.  If that would be the case you would have no problem providing the evidence that you were in compliance with the financial requirements.

Your situation is comparable with someone that entered Thailand VisaExempt or on a Tourist Visa.  You have simply been stamped in for the permission to stay by BORDER-Immigration for the 1-year your Non Imm O-A Visa entitles you to.  And so you have NEVER dealt with a local IO to apply for a 1-year extension of stay.

For sure there will have been other Non Imm O-A Visa holders in that situation that applied for an Elite Visa, so a talk with someone in charge at the Elite Visa office should quickly resolve the issue.

And even if it does not get resolved, there is no reason for panic or anxiety as you still have several other options to deal with the situation, and ensure that you can continue to stay long-term in Thailand.

It would lead me too far to go into all those possible options, but no problem contacting me on my mobile phone or WhatsApp (I will PM you the contact details).

As a fellow Belgian also staying in Thailand on a Non Imm O-A Visa, I am well versed in all the options to either apply for an extension of stay or switching to a different Visa type that would allow you to stay long-term in Thailand. 

Note: When you are from the dutch-speaking part of Belgium we can communicate in flemish if that is easier for you (and it's also my mother tongue).  I also understand French quite well but would have to respond in english, as my french is not strong enough for an active dialogue.

Relax, everything will work out fine!

thanks a lot Peter.

Can you please send me your contact, would be much appreciated.

Regards,

27 minutes ago, BritTim said:

There are two possible issues here:

1. (Most likely) Your contact at Thailand Elite is confused. This is not unusual. People have a habit of calling every stamp in your passport a "visa". This commonly causes confusion. Your Thailand Elite contact is probably not very intelligent, and may also have difficulty understanding English.
  2. (Possible) At around this time last year, there was evidence of conflict between Thailand Elite and Immigration, with Immigration looking for excuses to deny entry on Thailand Elite and taking many months for approvals. I believe this was because Immigration was looking for a bigger piece of the membership fee. Maybe, something similar is going on now.

Regardless, @ubonjoe has given you the correct information. In your position, my next move would be to try to get a statement from Immigration yourself to the effect that those on entries from Non-OA visas do not need money in the bank to cancel permission to stay stamps. Since you have never had an extension of your permission to stay from an immigration office, there is no need to demonstrate that you satisfied the requirements for such an extension. Perhaps, you could visit Chaengwattana and talk to the desk that handles Thailand Elite there. Hopefully, that will be enough to satisfy your mentally challenged Thailand Elite agent.

It's even not an agent. I applied directly with,

https://www.thailandelite.com/

If they don't know what they are doing, then I don't know. 

18 hours ago, BritTim said:

Sorry for the confusion. I meant "agent" in its meaning of a customer service representative.

News.

The friendly lady from Thai Elite Visa who promised me yesterday to call me back, didn't call (what a surprise).

I send a few emails requesting  full refund of the money I paid, no feedback.

At 4.30, I called her and she told she had no news. I asked about refund. Sorry sir, have to talk to boss.

I asked to speak to her manager. Sorry sir, manager busy. Asked to speak to someone superior. Sorry sir, nobody.

So, You and your boss are the only ones working there. No sir, no speaking English. OK

At 6pm, a manager called me back.

I explained the full story again and telling that I got a permission to stay until, given at the airport when I came back to Thailand, shortly before my 1 year visa expired. He did not get it.

Sorry sir, I have to follow procedures, you should have known. I can not promise you a refund and if we refund, when it will happen. Wowww.

I asked him: follow which procedure? I send you all informations when I applied and got approved after 2 weeks. From there, 3 months to make the payment. After payment verified, they make an appointment at immigration office. In the morning, they handle the cancellation of existing visa and afternoon, new visa affixed.

Yes sir, that's right but your case is different. Now, you need proof of 800k

Me: Why nobody informed me about this if you knew it already 1 month ago.

Sorry sir, my colleague informed you.

Bull..... I did send Tuesday an email to them, confirming that payment was made. Only after this, they came up with the story that now 800k must be shown.

I am not having this rubbish. I gave him 1 week....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlfHuy said:

News.

The friendly lady from Thai Elite Visa who promised me yesterday to call me back, didn't call (what a surprise).

I send a few emails requesting  full refund of the money I paid, no feedback.

At 4.30, I called her and she told she had no news. I asked about refund. Sorry sir, have to talk to boss.

I asked to speak to her manager. Sorry sir, manager busy. Asked to speak to someone superior. Sorry sir, nobody.

So, You and your boss are the only ones working there. No sir, no speaking English. OK

At 6pm, a manager called me back.

I explained the full story again and telling that I got a permission to stay until, given at the airport when I came back to Thailand, shortly before my 1 year visa expired. He did not get it.

Sorry sir, I have to follow procedures, you should have known. I can not promise you a refund and if we refund, when it will happen. Wowww.

I asked him: follow which procedure? I send you all informations when I applied and got approved after 2 weeks. From there, 3 months to make the payment. After payment verified, they make an appointment at immigration office. In the morning, they handle the cancellation of existing visa and afternoon, new visa affixed.

Yes sir, that's right but your case is different. Now, you need proof of 800k

Me: Why nobody informed me about this if you knew it already 1 month ago.

Sorry sir, my colleague informed you.

Bull..... I did send Tuesday an email to them, confirming that payment was made. Only after this, they came up with the story that now 800k must be shown.

I am not having this rubbish. I gave him 1 week....

Time to start using a lawyer, perhaps. That will overcome the language barrier, and an immigration lawyer ought to understand the differences between "visa", "permission to stay" and "extension of permission to stay".

A possible area of concern (not related to anything that has gone before): the small print on health insurance for those here on Non O-A visas suggests that your entry can be retrospectively cancelled if you were here after 31 October 2019 without the required health insurance. While this has not yet been raised, if you are in the middle of a power struggle between Immigration and Thai Elite, I would not be surprised to see this emerge. It would be incredibly unfair but, depending on the interpretation of the announcement, you could have a genuine problem.

3 minutes ago, BritTim said:

A possible area of concern (not related to anything that has gone before): the small print on health insurance for those here on Non O-A visas suggests that your entry can be retrospectively cancelled if you were here after 31 October 2019 without the required health insurance.

His visa was issued before October 31st of last year. The insurance issue cannot come up plus his last entry was before that date.

So that cannot be a problem.

26 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

His visa was issued before October 31st of last year. The insurance issue cannot come up plus his last entry was before that date.

So that cannot be a problem.

As with extensions of stay for those on Non-OA visas issued before October 31st 2019, I believe it is a question of how the announcement is interpreted. Interpreting it as retrospective to those already in Thailand would be very unfair, but it would not be the first time Immigration perpetrated something like that.

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

As with extensions of stay for those on Non-OA visas issued before October 31st 2019, I believe it is a question of how the announcement is interpreted. Interpreting it as retrospective to those already in Thailand would be very unfair, but it would not be the first time Immigration perpetrated something like that.

I have a private insurance I purchased here. Covered for 10 million baht inpatient and 1 million outpatient (I think/didn't check it right now). I purchased this insurance last December. Probably have to renew now before going to immigration to have a full year again, otherwise they could say that insurance is only until December but in June, applying for a new visa.