SURVEY: Alcohol ban -- worth it or not?

Scott

SURVEY: Alcohol ban -- worth it or not?  

441 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Chelseafan said:

As long as they are at home and not congregating then it's a job well done.

Actually, if they gave free laukhao people would be passed out and immobile most of the time. Sounds like perfect strategy for limiting transmission to me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Drunks are going to have to deal with their own demons at this time. 

Why are Black people at this time dying more from the Virus?

Will Mexicans be next?

Did only a few thousand Atheists in China die? 

Is Brazil going to explode?

The Spirit Moves For The Sake Of His Own Fulfillment.

Still No One Helping The Starving Monkeys In Thailand.

Job 30:15

“Terrors are turned against me;
They pursue my honor as the wind,
And my prosperity has passed away like a cloud.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

I had my monthly chat with my maid this morning (payday), just to check in, to make sure all was well with her, her folks, my flat, my pals in my neighbourhood, to make sure all was OK with everything and everyone over there (my contract had been due to start in March but is postponed until the resumption of normality, so she is taking care of my interests).
She told me that, the booze ban has had little effect on anything, other than to p*ss people off, especially those who enjoyed a drop at home, also saying that people weren't stupid, but would have liked the chance to have a drink around the neighbourhood at safe distances over the holiday period, yet were miffed to be denied that chance, but being enterprising Thais; She went on to tell me that it has been a common practice for locals, to get a few bottles of whatever 'nip' takes their fancy, (Hong Tong in her group's case - adding that booze has been readily available in places - 'off the radar'), a few other supplies, then quietly slip off into the sticks, easily done from that location in the suburbs of Bangkok, then set up a few tables at safe distance, unpack the booze and grub, and have a gay old time.
She told me that last week,  a copper even drove by, stopped, looked at them, seeing they were well away from habitations, happy they were all 2 metres apart, told them to remain so, then wished them a happy new year, then biffed off, no doubt to grab his pals to do similar....
I did wonder if this copper may have reacted differently had a Westerner been present, sensing a 'fine' opportunity, or the chance to make a name for himself, but let it go on this occasion, seeing only a group of working class, middle aged-Thais, not really worth the bother for him to report...
I must admit it pleased me to hear that the Thais are using their wits, still looking for 'Sanuk' in a sensible, safe manner. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SAINT THOMAS said:

The Drunks are going to have to deal with their own demons at this time. 

Why are Black people at this time dying more from the Virus?

Will Mexicans be next?

Did only a few thousand Atheists in China die? 

Is Brazil going to explode?

The Spirit Moves For The Sake Of His Own Fulfillment.

Still No One Helping The Starving Monkeys In Thailand.

Job 30:15

“Terrors are turned against me;
They pursue my honor as the wind,
And my prosperity has passed away like a cloud.

erm.......OK Reverend....

Edited by IvorLott
  • Haha 1

I think it's marginally effective, but it's overkill.   Drinking probably results in more domestic violence, more accidents and riskier behavior.   It has also been reported that alcohol has a negative effect on the immunity, but I doubt that moderate drinking affects immunity.   

I think they would have been better off to extend the times can be bought, but I don't think it's helpful for people to be running around looking for some place to buy it.  

I also don't think it was necessary to ban it beyond the Songkran period.   

I can see the logic, as many others here have mentioned, of banning alcohol sales over Songkran to stop the local population (Thai AND farang) partying even though Songkran was postponed. However, extending the ban beyond the Songkran period offers no concievable benefit other than to keep the population sober (-ish) and avoid protests from those without jobs, food and in the near future, homes. 

I was intrigued by a comment in one of the local rags from the police saying that the bulk of curfew breakers were "extremely drunk" when apprehended. DOH!! Ban the sale of alcohol and what will people do? They'll phone round their friends to find out who has booze and go there to drink instead of in their own home. This creates 3 issues,

1. Those with the booze will have a houseful of people in breach of 'Social Distancing' guidelines.

2. Those who might have had one or two beers alone at home, once in the company of friends will attempt to save face by keeping up with their harder drinking friends and end up severely drunk as opposed to a little merry.

3. Drinking causes a lack of focus so they don't notice the time and end up in breach of the curfew.

So, the ban takes away one POSSIBLE problem and replaces it with 3! No wonder so few countries have tried it as a method of slowing the spread of Covid 19.

In my humble opinion the government is paranoid about civil unrest as they should be with their pointless edicts. Obtaining alchohol is nary a problem it's like everything else now it's just a text away and Wella free delivery !  if you have paid attention as an expat residing here then you know that anything can be obtained here ! 

What I have noticed is the road Carnage seems to be less at some of the more popular accident sites fewer inebriated participants in the daily motorbike joustings I reckon. However with less traffic alot more of the " expert riders" including the totally mad and deranged Grab and Panda riders seem to be engaged in some sort of an ongoing competition to deliver their rubbish food (talk about spreading who knows what bugs) in those filthy containers at a higher rates of speed...More kinetic energy equals more spectacular crashes and the bastards will still cross in front of you on your blind side even though the road is clear ! Just can't fix stupid, Not wearing a helmet but got the Mask ! Enjoy the show ....

7 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

My wife does that. Thats why I drink alcohol ????

Been there, done that quite some years ago when i was married. Would have saved myself a truckload of frustration if I had come to Thailand in my twenties.

Around where I live after all the bars had to close you got people using 7/11 as a bar crowds of people sitting outside buying their beers in full view so if the bar owners in the area could see that were they the ones to start complaining? 

The only way to stop it was a full on ban

In both my current state of Mississippi and my home state of Oklahoma, Liquor Stores were deemed "essential" businesses and are open.  I haven't tried to research other states.  The governor of Mississippi had to explain in a televised update to all of us good Baptists that this was because if alcoholics suddenly go cold turkey, they could have a heart attack or stoke. 

From my limited experience with my Thai girlfriends' father, I'm sure he would have died without whiskey.....if he hadn't already died because of whiskey.

I don't see the alcohol ban as an advantage for Thailand at all and it will come back to bite the Govt revenues in the near future as they seem strapped for cash at the moment and I have seen no evidence that alcohol has any issues with the virus. 

What I would say controversially is that the virus has respiratory issues and would have made more sense to have banned smoking rather than alcohol but we cannot have that can we!

That being said the childish bans seems to be on the increase and if I were a traveler and arrived in the country and then found that I could not get a seat on the beach one day and could not buy a beer on another day I think I would be considering other destinations next time. Its the insular looking thought process that just does not get the message, tourists don't have to come to Thailand. In fact only yesterday I was reading that in the UK the travel correspondents were asked about holidays this year from the UK and the consensus seemed to be that holidays would be later this year at the destination mentioned were Canaries, Florida and the West Indies, nothing in the Far East.

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Been there, done that quite some years ago when i was married. Would have saved myself a truckload of frustration if I had come to Thailand in my twenties.

Saved frustration and spent more cash though, or maybe not.

If they extend the ban will we see the rise of a new style Al Capone???

Times are tough enough. 95% + of people who enjoy a few beers / drinks at home with self, mrs, gf or whatever do the right things and do only that.  Of course you will still get a loose handful of brain deads that can't quite grasp the big picture... but only a small insignificant number... so what does it achieve other than p..s off most people. 

• Like 1

the ban on sales of alcohol is totally ridiculous....there has not been any medical proof to warrant such a ban.....all they have done is stopped small mom and pop stores from having an income...thus creating a possible poverty situation for these small businesses STOP the BAN NOW let them make some money and LIVE !!!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Nbarcroftr said:

If the point of banning alcohol is to crack down on groups of people socializing then why not just ban socializing in groups?

They did ban groups of people from socializing and guess what happened.

People were (are) still getting together in groups - to drink.
They've busted a number of parties at clubs and hotels since the ban began because there are always those who think the rules don't apply to them.

The ban will probably go on until they can't find any more excuses to keep it going. The number of new cases of infection is dropping everyday. Songkran period is basically over. People will be more worried about getting back to work, getting paid and buying food than they will be about drinking.

But there will still be some that will want to hoot and holler and try to stage a "virus delayed" Songkran party so I suspect the ban will probably go until the end of the month.

And when this is all over, people are going to pat themselves on the back and credit the ban (and the lockdown) for preventing a massive virus outbreak, especially in places like Pattaya.

Think about this (why bother, you know you won't). What do you think they'd do if they hadn't put the alcohol ban in place and the number of infections skyrocketed as a result ? What if, instead of 30 new cases per day (and no deaths) it suddenly started looking like New York and there were thousands of new infections and dozens (even hundreds) of deaths everyday ?
Because you (should) know, the minute people start drinking, they start doing dumb things. Yes, even old expats who already think the rules don't (or shouldn't) apply to them.

Thailand is still a quasi-military dictatorship and it wouldn't take much for them to clamp down and declare Martial Law (especially considering how many "generals" there are running the government right now).

Think about what kind of bans and restrictions they'd put in place in that event. What we have now would seem mild and gentle by comparison. Consider yourselves lucky and try to keep in mind that this isn't about you.
In fact, I seriously doubt the expat community even crosses their minds when they make up various bans and lockdown plans.

(I know, I know, some of you think that they are specifically targeting you and that they are all out to get you and the instant you blink or look the wrong way they will black bag you and swipe your last clean pair of underwear - if you even have any. Clean underwear that is. However, considering how FEW expats there are here and how MANY Thais there are, you can rest assured that they really don't give a cockroach's sh*t about you.) 

• Sad 3

Alcohol ban still in effect.  Best to have the survey after it is over IMO

Beer and whiskey still available, mom and pop shop dissenters have proven that the powers that be cannot dictate their lives.  As with all the "rules" and "orders" and many "laws" declared here, without enforcement they are not followed by all.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Thailand is still a quasi-military dictatorship and it wouldn't take much for them to clamp down and declare Martial Law (especially considering how many "generals" there are running the government right now).

360,000 active military in thailand, 69,000,000 people in thailand, how would this "clamp down" be enforced? 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

360,000 active military in thailand, 69,000,000 people in thailand, how would this "clamp down" be enforced? 

Gee, let me think. They are doing a pretty good job of it now without having to put armed troops on the streets with liberal "Rules of Engagement" (ROE). And they were able to "clamp down" on the population during the last 2 coups (though things went so smoothly that most expats never even noticed - even the sober ones).

I seriously doubt they'd have any problem clamping down on the population if they really wanted to.

54 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Think about this (why bother, you know you won't). What do you think they'd do if they hadn't put the alcohol ban in place and the number of infections skyrocketed as a result ? What if, instead of 30 new cases per day (and no deaths) it suddenly started looking like New York and there were thousands of new infections and dozens (even hundreds) of deaths everyday ?
Because you (should) know, the minute people start drinking, they start doing dumb things. Yes, even old expats who already think the rules don't (or shouldn't) apply to them.

(I did the bolding and underlining of my previously quoted post.)

47 minutes ago, Susco said:

You have any proof for that?

The virus was here for 3 months before the booze ban was enforced, and cases weren't sky-rocketing during that time, so what makes you think it would have happened in the past week?

Gee, I don't know, maybe the annual SONGKRAN celebrations that would have taken place - in the past week ? 
For starters.

As for "proof" - what part of "if" do you not understand ? I was (clearly) asking a question, NOT stating a fact.

4 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

It is a close call between drinking to help handle the stress of being cooped up in a small non air conditioned apartment as many Thais have, versus getting drunk and acting like a drunk.

Well I'd say that alchohol as a 'coping mechanism' is exactly the kind of idea to propogate to support the ban.

Can't say it bothers me - I'd rather have a cup of hot tea.