SURVEY: Alcohol ban -- worth it or not?

Scott

SURVEY: Alcohol ban -- worth it or not?  

441 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I could see this coming. So I stocked up

As said. It's just another way of absolute control and I think many people are getting really pi$$ed off with it now.

It's okay to fly in for a lavish party with all the big wigs but not for the peasants 

I kind of understood why they banned alcohol sales over what would have been the Songkran holidays. Along with cancelling the holidays and making public transport unavailable, it probably helped prevent social gatherings and thus the spread of the virus.

I just don't see any real benefit in extending the sales ban. As people need to remain locked down at home for quite some time, let them have a drink at their leisure!

1 hour ago, Kurtf said:

Ohh you poor poor babies. I can't imagine how you people will survive without having any alcohol drinks for a month or two. What torture. Y'all are truly pathetic.

To do it by choice is not a problem. But by my nature I will not be told what to drink or not to drink. 

I am happy for to enjoy being told what to do.

• Sad 1

The ban on beer is the most stupidthing to date it does not give you a virusand many people have a quite beer by themselfs doing no harm to anyone. The thai economy is one of the worsein the world and the millions it was taking in with the sale of beer is now lost. Is there anyone with brains in the thai goverment. 

• Like 1

The alcohol ban is a typical case of "Pak chee loy nah" in much the same way as the Thaksin imposed limits on sales (11AM - 2PM and 5PM - midnight), along with the Thaksin introduced re-enforcement of the 90-Day check-in.  It is all meant to show that something is being done to deal with a problem or perceived problem.. Politicians the world over are known for doing things like this.  Prohibition in the US is a prime example of a western version of this behavior.  I doubt it did much to reduce the virus numbers though it did hurt the sellers and the hard-core drinkers at the lower economic level who did not have the funds to stock up.  Like most bans, there were ways around it as evidenced by my Thai neighbor who, when I saw him unloading a couple of cases of Leo from his car yesterday evening, offered me a few bottles.  I am not a beer drinker, so I just smiled and declined.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, OnTheGround said:

Missing a 3rd option: Neutral.

For us in the third group, one can see the pros of a ban, less domestic violence, less crime.

However one also acknowledge that many are obviously in need of their daily alcohol comsumtion, something the many posts here on TVF has clearly demonstrated.

Another poll idea: beach closing and ban.

This topic has been a super Hot topic last weeks.

Not keen on your para 2. You make everyone who drinks sound like an alcoholic.

I think you'll find that most people are against the ban because they just enjoy a drink. It's a very sociable thing to do and is good for helping you unwind. I'm voting to remove the ban as I consider it to be pointless in preventing the spread of covid when everyone's more or less stuck at home anyway.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, gamesgplayemail said:

Worth it if we consider important that the retarded alcoholic who drive drunk do not die.

I don't and I think it is better to let them drink until we get rid of all of them.

Buy the way, the ones smoking legal THC should also stay home !!!

Gave up smoking ?.....One can usually tell.......????

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, uncleP said:

In my mind the extension of the ban is more about a display of power instead of  any benefit to public health in the current  situation.  

Yes!!! So much of this whole world wide population control is about power.

• Like 1

Prayut is playing a blinder. I am not normally a fan of his but fair play, he has done well if the numbers are an accurate reflection of what is going on in Thailand. A similar population to the UK, but look at the difference in outcome, and in matters of health, it is outcomes that matter.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

10 hours ago, uncleP said:

In my mind the extension of the ban is more about a display of power instead of  any benefit to public health in the current  situation.  

Ban alcohol or not was up to the Provincial Governors,not the government. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, lee b said:

Its useless. Everyone I know went out and cleared the shelves before the ban kicked it. So what was the point, they are still able to drink at home even with the ban in place.

As long as they are at home and not congregating then it's a job well done.

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, Thomas J said:

Scott, 

I could not see what the purpose of the ban was suppose to be.  In the USA many states imposed a ban but deliberately left alcohol sales intact.  Were the Thai's worried that people would just stay home, get drunk and create problems? 

I think that the US Government took lessons from the 1920's.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

We all know that farangs drink lots of alcohol...alcohol diminishes the effects of the virus...connect the dots...????

As an example of self-interested logic, very good. Some authoritative source for the hypothesis would be more convincing.

• Haha 1

Absolutely not worth it. I am not sure how many large gatherings it has discouraged, and it has denied millions some much needed recreation, and unwinding during the zombie apocalypse. Nothing gained by it. Thailand is one of the few countries that did it, and it was wrong headed, to say the least. But, things are winding down now, and hopefully the country will re-open for business May 1st.

Edited by spidermike007