Covid19 - no need to panic - still

AussieBob18

52 minutes ago, AussieBob18 said:

It was right to lockdown the world when it appeared that between 50 million and 200 million would die.
But it is not right to continue the lockdown when it appears that only 1 million or 2 million will die.

Accordingly from your research what is the projected number of deaths p.a. w/w from Covid without mitigation strategies?

To answer one of your questions, my doctor advised me that flu has an annual death w/w toll of around 500k, without vaccines would be in the millions

8 minutes ago, TheDark said:

Probably because most people understand the gravity of the situation.

Probably?   Do most people buy Colgate toothpaste because it is "probably" better than

other brands ?     

Or is it possible that they are just mindless followers of the advertising?   ( they do have

"dentists"  dressed in white gowns telling you how effective it is  )

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

You got it...

I'm stuck in Singapore, been here since end of January... 

Apparently I'm not allowed go home to be with my wife, because 11 people have died here this year and 47 in Thailand too !!

It sucks.   And my business is put on hold......  millions are losing jobs and businesses.

Who benefits ?   1.  Big Pharma   2.  Insurance mafia   3.  Military ( they are the brawn in all

that goes on     4.  The bureaucracy  that is responsible for making the LAWS  ( comically calling themselves public servants )  

and some here can only respond with tin hat comments    55555  

2 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

How to get out of this is a difficult question and needs to be urgently addressed, but i think you are seriously downplaying the seriousness of the illness and the sheer contagiousness and high % of people seemingly requiring hospitalization. The population are simply not going to watch loved ones, young and old gasping for air and dying and not be able to access or receive health care.

i think the OP  did address that.......   with a sensible suggestion

5 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

Is it ok to accept that they are free to die?

Yes... 

We go into lock down so our NHS is not over whelmed..

If there wasn't so many self inflicted ailments then they would be able to cope better...

That's the fast food, smoking, alcoholics etc etc

The old folk are gonna die at some point, or do you want everyone to just go on living and be a burden on future generations ??

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, rumak said:

Probably?   Do most people buy Colgate toothpaste because it is "probably" better than

other brands ?     

Or is it possible that they are just mindless followers of the advertising?   ( they do have

"dentists"  dressed in white gowns telling you how effective it is  )

Go ahead. Go to public gatherings, break the curfew, walk mindlessly around the hospitals. I don't care.

Freedom comes with responsibility. So when you get sick or you infect your loved ones or other people, remember to take care of them as well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Yes... 

We go into lock down so our NHS is not over whelmed..

If there wasn't so many self inflicted ailments then they would be able to cope better...

That's the fast food, smoking, alcoholics etc etc

The old folk are gonna die at some point, or do you want everyone to just go on living and be a burden on future generations ??

You obviously don't have ill friends, a sick child or elderly parents who you care for....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

However the inevitable truth is that without businesses open and people working and both people and businesses paying taxes, the money will run out to keep paying for all the medical staff and supplies

Exactly right, hospitals will go bankrupt as well because of focusing on Covid19. Most of their income comes from things like hip operations, not Covid19.

Good post.

I don't think the lockdowns were right though.

As for what i plan to do, it's continue the social distancing, avoiding shaking hands, not go inside to confined spaces such as restaurants, bars, if outside I'm ok with it.

If i meet a new girl.... I'm toying with checking their temperature before i commit...

1 minute ago, TheDark said:

Go ahead. Go to public gatherings, break the curfew, walk mindlessly around the hospitals. I don't care.

Freedom comes with responsibility. So when you get sick or you infect your loved ones or other people, remember to take care of them as well.

You have been trained well.      Enjoy your freedom

Funny that you and a few others always throw out the same  CNN type  responses.

I am very responsible,  so please do not infer otherwise.

14 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

What Aussie Bob fails to ever explain (and i share his view of the drastic affect on the economy) is the very real possibility of complete societal breakdown if the virus was permitted to run unchecked.

In the US, Italy, Spain, China the health services were strained to bursting points, even with the population in virtual lock down. If the virus was allowed to run its course then 100's of thousands or millions could of become infected in very short time, leading to huge numbers requiring hospital treatment, death completely overwhelming health services etc

In my opinion if that was permitted to happen, society, law and order could very well of completely disintegrated.

That is total nonsense.

There would have been a short sharp shock to the healthy systems, but that's happened anyway.

Why that would cause "society, law and order" to disintegrate I would like to know.

Much greater is the danger that society, law and order can break down NOW because of the massively alarmist, exaggerated and overblown reaction by governments world-wide. The cure is worse than the disease.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1