Expats on Non-Immigration O-A (retirement) Visas - Which Thai health insurance company have you gone with?

Those of us living in Thailand on Non-Immigrant O-A (retirement) Visas are required to obtain compulsory health insurance from one of the approved 13 companies.

I am interested to know which of the 13 companies people have been successful in gaining insurance with, and are they happy with the company's performance?

I am in the process of trying to select one of the 13 companies for my own health insurance, and am interested to learn from others' experience.  Thank you.

Non – Immigrant Visa "O-A"

The listed companies who participate in this scheme

OP, I take it your not married to a Thai.

As I understand it if you originally had a non O-A and moved to extension based on marriage the Thai health insurance is NOT required. Someone will advise if that is incorrect.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

As I understand it if you originally had a non O-A and moved to extension based on marriage the Thai health insurance is NOT required. Someone will advise if that is incorrect.

That is correct. As of now applications for Marriage, Retirement and Elite extensions do not require Health Insurance coverage.

• Confused 1

LMG looks like the cheapest option, particularly for someone like me, age 75 (the last year you can initiate this insurance, although you can do subsequent renewals up to age 99). The premium (pre Covid 19 anyway) is 15,700 for a 75 year old -- this with 200k deductible, the maximum. So, with that deductible, no outpatient visits will be covered and nothing less than 200k inpatient. But as Peter Denis says, this is just throwaway insurance to renew your O-A extension until the borders open and you can get a Non Imm O visa, Then, forget having to get TGIA insurance, if you already have other health insurance, or to give you the opportunity to shop for insurance over and above the TGIA mafia. [Yeah, the TGIA options may include decent health coverage for some applicants, like maybe the OP; but certainly not for 75 year olds, and certainly not for 15,700 baht.]

So, for someone like me, who has Tricare insurance (for retired US military), and who has an O-A retirement extension looming on the horizon, this now seems to be the perfect option, assuming the borders don't open tomorrow. And, as long as you don't check too many yes blocks about existing conditions on the application, you shouldn't need to take a physical. Pretty simple, actually.

One consideration for Tricare holders: Tricare is always the last payer; thus, to be completely kosher, you would need to file first with LMG; sort out all the denials due to deductible; maybe some other bureaucratic angles to solve; then finally file with Tricare. A lot of unnecessary hassle, considering Tricare has always paid me *everything* due with no questions asked, even pharmacy bills with way more pills than the normal 90-day allotment. Including LMG in the middle of this process doesn't make sense, since they'll never ever pay anything (unless I end up in ICU).

So, right after I get my one year retirement renewal off of my O-A visa, believe I'll write LMG and tell them to take this policy and shove it (well, maybe something less belligerent). The letter should serve as cancellation, whether I hear back from them, or not; any refund isn't important, although nice. Thus, once again kosher with Tricare filings. [Or maybe I should wait until I do an early border crossing and get my subsequent Non O visa and health insurance free extension -- just in case we have another year like this one, and I might need a renewal of my LMG policy, since at age 76 I can't take out a new one. Sigh.]

• Like 1

I went with Pacific Cross.  I chose a policy with 3 million baht coverage and a 40,000 baht deductible.  The deductible option saved me a bundle on the premium.  Great service from a British agent working for them in-house in Bangkok.

On 4/19/2020 at 10:35 AM, couchpotato said:

That is correct. As of now applications for Marriage, Retirement and Elite extensions do not require Health Insurance coverage.

Presumably your referring to extensions of Non-O visas...  just to clarify!

2 hours ago, Tracyb said:

I went with Pacific Cross.  I chose a policy with 3 million baht coverage and a 40,000 baht deductible.  The deductible option saved me a bundle on the premium.

So, after saving a bundle, how much did you end up paying (and how old are you)? Thanx.

9 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

Is there no health insurance at all, anywhere, available for the over 75s ? I assume not, but just wondered if there may be.

The TGIA insurers that can provide thai IO-approved health-insurance policies, only cater for those retirees over 75 years of age that subscribed to such policy before reaching that age.

On 4/19/2020 at 10:35 AM, couchpotato said:

Yes normal Non-O yearly extensions. 

12 hours ago, couchpotato said:

Yes normal Non-O yearly extensions. 

There are only TWO Visa-situations where an IO-approved health-insurance policy is required. 

1 - When applying in your home-country for a Non Imm O-A (long-stay) Visa

>> In that case also a foreign health-insurance policy can be accepted by the thai embassy where you do your application, provided your insurer is willing to to sign the Foreign Insurance Certificate stating that your policy meets the 400K in-patient / 40K out-patient requirements.

2 - When applying at your local IO for a 1-year extension based on your Non Imm O-A Visa for reason of retirement

>>> And in that case ONLY a thai IO-approved health-insurance policy is accepted (even if your foreign health-insurance policy is far superior in coverage).

Note: Applying for an extension of your Non Imm O-A Visa for another reason than retirement, e.g. marriage, dependant child, etc. does NOT require the mandatory thai IO-approved health-insurance.

Edited by Peter Denis
  • Like 1

On 4/19/2020 at 10:10 AM, Peter Denis said:

Maybe a somewhat off-topic remark but you should not confuse

- the need for having good health-insurance to cover any catastrophic illnesses/accidents you might encounter;

with

- the requirement to have a thai IO-approved health-insurance policy when applying for the 1-year extension of your permission to stay based on your Non Imm O-A Visa for reason of retirement.

= = = = =

Most of the TGIA thai IO-approved health-insurance policies are limited to the (ridiculously low) 400.000 THB in-patient and 40.000 THB out-patient coverages, and are exorbitantly expensive for the low coverage they provide.

So when you need a health-insurance policy your starting point should be the actual coverage such a policy would provide you, and not limit your search to those policies that are thai IO-approved.  

Obviously, if you come across a policy that meets both your health-insurance needs (at a reasonable premium) and is also thai IO-approved, that would be a good deal. 

But if you already have or opt for an international or thai health-insurance that meets your needs but which is not thai IO-approved, you have 2 options:

1 - Apply for the dirt-cheapest thai IO-approved health-insurance policy with the highest deductable (LMG Insurance provides policies ranging from 6.000 THB to 15.700 THB annual premium for the age brackets of 50 till 75 years).  And consider that policy purely as an entry-ticket for your O-A Visa retirement extension,

2 - Switch to a Non Imm O - retirement Visa, which has exactly the same requirements/conditions when applying for the 1-year extension of stay but does NOT require the thai IO-approved health-insurance which is mandatory when extending your O-A Visa for reason of retirement.

In both cases you then can keep or subscribe to a REAL health-insurance policy that meets your needs and will cover you adequately in case of catastrophic illness/accident.

Thank you for your detailed reply.

I have taken all of the factors you have mentioned into account.

I already have comprehensive health insurance in Australia (though I am not expecting to return there to live) through my Australian retirement pension plan.

In addition, I have had IMG international health insurance since living in Thailand, which meets my needs.

At this time, I need only basic Thai coverage to meet Thai Immigration's requirements.  However, over the next few years I may decide to dump IMG and just go with a Thai-based company - thus my post.

Thank you.

• Thanks 1

On 4/19/2020 at 10:22 AM, DrJack54 said:

Thank you for you comment.

No, I am not married to a Thai national.

However, I note that there has been some speculation in recent months in some ThaiVisa diccussion groups that the mandatory health insurance requirement may be extended to all Non-Immigrant O-A and O groups.  It is only speculation at this time, but it is valid speculation in my humble opinion.

On 4/19/2020 at 11:17 AM, sqwakvfr said:

To answer the question, I went with Pacific Cross.

1.  Good customer service.  Main reason is I dealt with two British Guys and communication(mostly through email) was seamless.  

2.  I chose a policy with the higher than the minimum of 400K and 40K.

3.  The annual premium was reasonable for my age(I am 57).  

I contacted two other companies on the TGIA website and they were only interested in one thing:  You want to buy?  It was difficult to get any questions answered by the other companies.

My plan was to renew with them but with Covid 19 I am not sure about my long range plans for LOS.  

Thank you for your comments.

On 4/19/2020 at 1:43 PM, JimGant said:

LMG looks like the cheapest option, particularly for someone like me, age 75 (the last year you can initiate this insurance, although you can do subsequent renewals up to age 99). The premium (pre Covid 19 anyway) is 15,700 for a 75 year old -- this with 200k deductible, the maximum. So, with that deductible, no outpatient visits will be covered and nothing less than 200k inpatient. But as Peter Denis says, this is just throwaway insurance to renew your O-A extension until the borders open and you can get a Non Imm O visa, Then, forget having to get TGIA insurance, if you already have other health insurance, or to give you the opportunity to shop for insurance over and above the TGIA mafia. [Yeah, the TGIA options may include decent health coverage for some applicants, like maybe the OP; but certainly not for 75 year olds, and certainly not for 15,700 baht.]

So, for someone like me, who has Tricare insurance (for retired US military), and who has an O-A retirement extension looming on the horizon, this now seems to be the perfect option, assuming the borders don't open tomorrow. And, as long as you don't check too many yes blocks about existing conditions on the application, you shouldn't need to take a physical. Pretty simple, actually.

One consideration for Tricare holders: Tricare is always the last payer; thus, to be completely kosher, you would need to file first with LMG; sort out all the denials due to deductible; maybe some other bureaucratic angles to solve; then finally file with Tricare. A lot of unnecessary hassle, considering Tricare has always paid me *everything* due with no questions asked, even pharmacy bills with way more pills than the normal 90-day allotment. Including LMG in the middle of this process doesn't make sense, since they'll never ever pay anything (unless I end up in ICU).

So, right after I get my one year retirement renewal off of my O-A visa, believe I'll write LMG and tell them to take this policy and shove it (well, maybe something less belligerent). The letter should serve as cancellation, whether I hear back from them, or not; any refund isn't important, although nice. Thus, once again kosher with Tricare filings. [Or maybe I should wait until I do an early border crossing and get my subsequent Non O visa and health insurance free extension -- just in case we have another year like this one, and I might need a renewal of my LMG policy, since at age 76 I can't take out a new one. Sigh.]

Thanks a lot Jim, much appreciated.

17 hours ago, Tracyb said:

I went with Pacific Cross.  I chose a policy with 3 million baht coverage and a 40,000 baht deductible.  The deductible option saved me a bundle on the premium.  Great service from a British agent working for them in-house in Bangkok.

Thank you very much Tracy.

15 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

I also went with Pacific Cross. The assistance I received from Jamie Connell was exceptional. have to travel to CM later this week to do my extension.

Thank you very much TigerandDog.

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

There are only TWO Visa-situations where an IO-approved health-insurance policy is required. 

1 - When applying in your home-country for a Non Imm O-A (long-stay) Visa

>> In that case also a foreign health-insurance policy can be accepted by the thai embassy where you do your application, provided your insurer is willing to to sign the Foreign Insurance Certificate stating that your policy meets the 400K in-patient / 40K out-patient requirements.

2 - When applying at your local IO for a 1-year extension based on your Non Imm O-A Visa for reason of retirement

>>> And in that case ONLY a thai IO-approved health-insurance policy is accepted (even if your foreign health-insurance policy is far superior in coverage).

Note: Applying for an extension of your Non Imm O-A Visa for another reason than retirement, e.g. marriage, dependant child, etc. does NOT require the mandatory thai IO-approved health-insurance.

Thank you Peter - that is my understanding also.

1 minute ago, JimHuaHin said:

Thank you for your detailed reply.

I have taken all of the factors you have mentioned into account.

I already have comprehensive health insurance in Australia (though I am not expecting to return there to live) through my Australian retirement pension plan.

In addition, I have had IMG international health insurance since living in Thailand, which meets my needs.

At this time, I need only basic Thai coverage to meet Thai Immigration's requirements.  However, over the next few years I may decide to dump IMG and just go with a Thai-based company - thus my post.

Thank you.

I have Pacific Cross insurance. It sounds like your minimum need is the cheapest possible plan to qualify for your extension. You should however talk to Pacific Cross about a more comprehensive plan that might cover the immigration requirements and your insurance needs.

I initially purchased my PC insurance when I realized my US plan didn’t adequately cover me here in Thailand as a long term expat. I suspended my US insurance and bought a 10 million baht plan with a sizable deduction. The cost was less than my US plan. For routine care Thai medical costs are so inexpensive I prefer to just pay that myself. This is just a suggested option. Maybe now or for next year.

Your situation is different from mine because I didn’t have an alternate insurance plan in the US. I was starting from scratch and just chose to go into the Thai insurance market without shopping for international plans. 

It looks like I will be here for about a year. I have Pacific Cross travel insurance that expires in a couple of weeks. As I am just about to turn 66 Pacific Cross will not give me health insurance without a medical. I have no intention to travel to a hospital for a medical and blood tests they asked for, as I consider hospitals to be high risk places for COVID 19. Can any one give me an option ?. I only need major in-hospital cover, all minor problems I can cover myself. If I was to self insure would 2 million Baht be enough ?.

1 hour ago, mirage said:
It looks like I will be here for about a year. I have Pacific Cross travel insurance that expires in a couple of weeks. As I am just about to turn 66 Pacific Cross will not give me health insurance without a medical. I have no intention to travel to a hospital for a medical and blood tests they asked for, as I consider hospitals to be high risk places for COVID 19. Can any one give me an option ?. I only need major in-hospital cover, all minor problems I can cover myself. If I was to self insure would 2 million Baht be enough ?.

Can you go to a smaller clinic rather than a big hospital?

22 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

The TGIA insurers that can provide thai IO-approved health-insurance policies, only cater for those retirees over 75 years of age that subscribed to such policy before reaching that age.

Thank you.