Beer may lose its fizz as CO2 supplies go flat during pandemic

rooster59

Wait...I'm confused. I thought it was the yeast digesting the mash that created the carbon dioxide, and that beer production actually generated carbon dioxide. That is why all the beer produces also make soda water....presumably because they have an excess of carbon dioxide.

Can someone explain why additional CO2 is needed in the industrial beer production process?

• Like 1

I am German and my ancestors invented the thing. Google "Weihenstephan". And real beer - especially Pils - has CO2 and is served cold. It is an art. No discussion. At least since the invention of refridgerators. Everything else is just a curiosity such as pineapple on a pizza.

Edited by moogradod
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, moogradod said:

I am German and my ancestors invented the thing. Google "Weihenstephan". And real beer - especially Pils - has CO2 and is served cold. It is an art. No discussion. At least since the invention of refridgerators. Everything else is just a curiosity such as pineapple on a pizza.

You're from the Middle East? 

41 minutes ago, Monomial said:

Wait...I'm confused. I thought it was the yeast digesting the mash that created the carbon dioxide, and that beer production actually generated carbon dioxide. That is why all the beer produces also make soda water....presumably because they have an excess of carbon dioxide.

Can someone explain why additional CO2 is needed in the industrial beer production process?

So that the bottle when opened goes pssst

11 minutes ago, Monomial said:

Is Egypt considered the Middle East?

I thought it was Africa.

https://www.ancient.eu/article/1033/beer-in-ancient-egypt/

Could be. I thought it was Mesopotamia. At least that's what I've been told. But Egyptians or Sumerians could be right.

In Mesopotamia (ancient Iraq), early evidence of beer is a 3,900-year-old Sumerian poem honoring Ninkasi, the patron goddess of brewing, which contains the oldest surviving beer recipe, describing the production of beer from barley via bread.[18] Approximately 5,000 years ago, workers in the city of Uruk were paid by their employers in beer.[19]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_beer

I know I read somewhere of a brewer who tried to reproduce that four thousand year old beer recipé. Apparently it was awful.

Edited by Forethat

9 minutes ago, Monomial said:

Still don't understand. The CO2 is dissolved in the beer will pressurize the bottle automatically. Why is additional CO2 needed?

We need a qualified brewer to answer.

Calling all brewers please.

20 minutes ago, Forethat said:

You're from the Middle East? 

No, but I am no historian either. I guess we are talking "modern"  beer, not "met" or anything prähistoric - if modern is appr. 1000 years back. The beer produced at Weihenstephan at this time in history is more or less the stuff you are drinking today. I believe therefore it is justifiable to say that the Germans "invented" it in the form it is still available today. Prost !

2 hours ago, Monomial said:

Can't explain why but i have commissioned beer carbonation systems in breweries.

As has been said breweries do not make their own CO2. I've also commissioned O2 plants

so understand why breweries don't have CO2 systems. O2 and N2 plants separate out the gasses from ambient air.  There is not enough CO2 in the atmosphere to make it viable for separation. 

As for beers there is a difference between top and bottom fermentation. I'm not a brewer but i know one.????

Forward on 'till tomorrow.

Edited by VocalNeal

I won't have that problem as I'm in Canada these days making my own beer with lots of carbonation in it after a couple of weeks of sitting on the shelf. I find that about 200 grams of dextrose in a 23-liter batch when bottling gives me plenty of fizz. Any breweries making "bottle conditioned" beer won't have a problem, but all that factory stuff is flat and pasteurized with no live yeast in it, so it has to be charged with CO2 as it's bottled and canned.

What's even cooler about making one's own beer here is that all the ingredient are completely tax-free as they're all considered basic food item. With the VERY heavy taxation on booze here, it means I pay about 25% of the price of a standard beer, and if I can leave it aging long enough, I get a much superior one.