Wrong Birth Certificate

As has been suggested, I think you would need to talk to the officials at the amphur office where the birth was registered.

On registering my daughter's birth, they first of all wrote my nationality as Thai (force of habit, I suppose) but then crossed it out, amended and initialed it. That was done right at the time though.

This is Thailand, so I suspect it could be done. You could perhaps make it obvious that you are willing to show your gratitude in some way.

I think that I will try first with the officials at the amphur office and the hospital.

If that doesn't work, then I will go to court.

I think that I want to clear this and give my child the right birth certificate.

Ok, in fact it is not that important, he has already my family name,

but according to the birth certificate my brother is the father and not me.

This is crazy and I have to clear this, one way or the other.

Hope you get it sorted (sure you will) as others noted it'll probable need some 'gratitude' to be shown though.

Just look on the bright side, should you ever get divorced your ex-wife will be able to sue your brother for maintenance of the nipper :o:D

oxymoron,

dont make sweeping statements; some countries require birth certificate of the person for instance i had to precure my thai husbands b.cert. for israel even though it is falling apart, thin, small, water stained, barely legible, and looks like a parchment from some indiana jones movie , and have it stamped etc by thai mfa...

when i asked about what happens if there isnt a birth certificate, i got blank looks. if i couldnt find it, it would have been a major expensive legal procedure for something in place of one. (my husband was born at home and family doesnt deal much with papers/certificates etc. fortunately his mother somehow keeps any papers they do have in a carton that hasnt been rained on, eaten by mice etc. ). the same as when i moved to israel and was required to give b/cert. and i had sepia copy (new york 1962)... had to provide extra papers certifing the copy, why a copy, etc....

not every country is european/american in their beurocratic mind set... something that seems to surprise expats in thailand and other non european countries

bina

Do most posters / people possess thiers ?? Lord knows where mine is.. Lost among lifes rubble a decade or more ago...

Never given it a thought before.. Should I be concerned ??

If your country has a good births, deaths and marriages register, then it is no problem. In Thailand, they don't, and given that countries like Thailand a) like their paperwork and :o like it all to be consistent, then yes, it matters.

I guard my Thai BC with my life with multiple copies stored in different locations. My Aussie one, BDM in Melbourne will have me a replacement in 2 working days.

Hope you get it sorted (sure you will) as others noted it'll probable need some 'gratitude' to be shown though.

Just look on the bright side, should you ever get divorced your ex-wife will be able to sue your brother for maintenance of the nipper :o:D

Even if my brother was never married to her?

I would suggest that you really do need to make sure that these circumstances are recorded (with both the Thai administration and with your Embassy) and fully documented, whether or not the birth certificate can be changed.

Just think how much change there has been in your lifetime. Who knows how much there will be in your son's lifetime --- and documentation that doesn't matter much now may be crucial at some point in the future.

(A few years ago, the fact that I happened (almost by accident) to have kept a scruffy bit of UK governmental paper from 1961 made all the difference to my earning ability and life would have been far, far more difficult for us, but for that happy chance.)

Some of us are concerned about inheritance procedures in the Thai-Western couple situation, and that is something for which appropriate documentation is necessary. But who, in youth, looks that far ahead?

My child has birth certificate.

My child has my surname.

The only problem is that there is the wrong name for the father on the birth certificate.

My girlfriend gave a photocopy of my brothers passport to the hospital. She made a terrible mistake

But You are right.

I want to clear this.

I am already registered here in my embassy here in Thailand.

I will inform them of the mistake.

Then I will try with the Thai officials in the ampreur office to clear the problem (make amendments or change the birth certificate!)

If this is not possible, then I will take a lawyer and I will have to go to court to explain the mistake to a judge.

Perhaps I will need DNA tests for this, I don't know ( I can also proof that my brother can not be the father as he was not in Thailand. My brother will also come to Thailand to testify in court if necessary).

This is my advice.

Don't go to court. Grt yourself a good local lawyer who can explain it all clearly to the officials at the amphur and the go there with your wife, armed with all relevant documents, copy passports etc, and discuss the matter with them. You shouldn't need a lawyer, but he will help cut through the crap, and the officials will give him due respect.

I think you will find that either the birth certificate can be amended, or a supplementary document can be issued to reflect to correct situation.

Another reason for the lawyer, is that an 'under the table payment' may be required, and he will smooth this path also.

I am sure something can be done.

Good luck

Just had the birth certificate translated for me.

It is incredible.

There is a part where some data SHOULD be filled in concerning the father.

There is almost nothing filled in there.

most of it is open with no DATA.

There is only my family name and the first name of my brother.

There is no number of passport or ID card filled in (empty spaces)

The age is simply my age filled in (46 years old) and NOT the age of my brother. ( My girlfriend remembers that they couldn't calculate the age from the passport and that she simply told them my age and they wrote this down.)

There is no address filled in,

So at this moment, everything on the birth certificate is right except the first name.

All the rest is right, family name and age is right.

All the other data still have to be filled in.

I think I will go with a lawyer and all my documents from me and the embassy to the officials at the amphur and ask to amend the first name (small mistake and fill in all the open spaces including my address in Thailand which is registered at my embassy.

I think this is possible.