Stranded tourists: Russian couple sleeping under the rocks for weeks after Krabi hotel shuts them out

webfact

Stranded tourists: Russian couple sleeping under the rocks for weeks after Krabi hotel shuts them out

3pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

A contingent of tourist police found a Russian husband and wife aged about 30 sleeping out in the Tonsai - Railey area of Krabi in southern Thailand. 

They had been turned out of their hotel and had set up a tent and utilized the shelter of some rocks in Tonsai Bay. They had been there since the start of April.

Sanook reported that they were taken to tourist police HQ for questioning and given fever checks. 

They said they were not planning on going back to Russia until the coronavirus outbreak improved

They are now staying at one of four hotels allowed to remain open that is housing stranded foreigners. 

The police have contacted their embassy.

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-04-20

56 minutes ago, metempsychotic said:

What in his story indicates they require funds or requested any assistance whatsoever?

Could the clue be the line........."they were sleeping under the rocks for weeks" .......Or they Excepted the help when offered it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

Sure, You got a point. However, I do think that they just trying to help. It´s not really in any countries policy to have tourists hiding and sleeping in the forests, beaches or caves. ????

Why not, the Backpackers seem to do just fine...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

It's not much fun being stranded even less stranded and broke good luck to them ????

Local radio station here in Pattaya reported recently planes were flying from Thailand to Russia half full, so I reckon stranded is not the correct English word. The word stranded is giving readers the wrong idea.

If I was broke I'd ask family or friends to send me some money western union.

• Like 1

As long as they're able to find food, then I don't see the issue. The question is - would they have preferred to continue living outside or are they grateful for being able to stay in a hotel? My hunch is the latter,  but I wouldn't rule out the former.

Does anyone remember the Kurt Vonnegut story of how the cost of housing had become so prohibitively expensive people had to start living on makeshift homes on the sea? Not sure why this came to mind.

I'm pretty sure they do not want to return to Russia, maybe they had a business running in Thailand, like so many other young Russians.  A tent will do.  Then maybe they would need free food soon. 

Edited by balo

7 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

It's not much fun being stranded even less stranded and broke good luck to them ????

Could be worse, they could be stranded, broke, and be in pattaya with no water! ????????????????????????????????????????????????

2 minutes ago, Zikomat said:

This is how Thais treat foreigners. No compassion whatsoever. Where is that Aussie guy Dave with his packs of rice? Ouh, he is probably not interested in helping as well.

Why have compassion for people that refused to go home and made the decision to stay under a rock . It's no fault of the Thais.

• Like 1