Number of COVID-19 cases in Thailand continue to decline

webfact

2 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Simple to see where this is going to. They are now hellbent on opening up, since it's nasty to see the trough being emptied to the peasants. Numbers will be massaged to fit, lots of options to do that. Mass testing will never be done, it could show something strange.

Result is likely a kneejerk opening, a second wave and if the strain is more vicious, a bad one. All could be avoided with mass testing, tracking and tracing and local policy decisions made to match the data.

That said, the actual actions done in Thailand are not wrong, they are quite rational, if sometimes a bit late (except for the alcohol thing, that's a power trip). The doctors that have access to more data are likely behind them (Dr. Plipat & co). Now it's a question of them being rolled over by the usurpers.

Couldn't have said it better ????????

2 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

So now they should be relaxing the opening of non essential businesses and get people back to work... 

No more excuses.. If the numbers are genuine, then start to try and save a bit of the economy...

On a more selfish note, don't rush into thing as the exchange rate is not too bad at the present time????

11 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Simple to see where this is going to. They are now hellbent on opening up, since it's nasty to see the trough being emptied to the peasants. Numbers will be massaged to fit, lots of options to do that. Mass testing will never be done, it could show something strange.

Result is likely a kneejerk opening, a second wave and if the strain is more vicious, a bad one. All could be avoided with mass testing, tracking and tracing and local policy decisions made to match the data.

That said, the actual actions done in Thailand are not wrong, they are quite rational, if sometimes a bit late (except for the alcohol thing, that's a power trip). The doctors that have access to more data are likely behind them (Dr. Plipat & co). Now it's a question of them being rolled over by the usurpers.

They do want to open up quickly to show their proud numbers to the world to show Thailand is number one at stopping the virus when it was predicted as the country most likely to be hit the worst.

Edited by FarFlungFalang

2 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Were you not still paying them?

Fortunately, you are in Thailand without the employee responsibilities that attach to Western businesses.

Just the sort of comment that has them nodding sagely in the students union bar. 

For the rest of us can you please explain how long a business can go on paying wages when it is no longer trading. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CLW said:

Second wave coming.

Everyone deserves a second chance, right? ????

You've been on this forum since the beginning of March saying "watch the upcoming two weeks"

In Dutch we say; the wish is the father of the thought. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CLW said:

Second wave coming.

Everyone deserves a second chance, right? ????

Think positively, then we'll have a good petri dish to check if antibodies grant immunity, after a few tsunamis. I'm sure people are happy to be involuntary participants in these experiments.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Eibot said:

10 000 people over the last 4 months could be possible. Even if it was, it would be unlikely the governments can hide this on Social Media, plus we would all experience a major flu like wave moving around.

There is no evidence to support any of this, thus making the scenario you describe unlikely. 

The Rnaught is lower in warmer countries.

If Somchai dies of a lung infection or pneumonia in Nakhon Nowhere and the doctor says that is the cause of death, who on earth is going to question it on FB?

Prey tell me!

When a Thai cepleblity posted he had Chinese Flu, the gestapo were round his house in seconds

Edited by Canuck1966
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Eibot said:

You've been on this forum since the beginning of March saying "watch the upcoming two weeks"

In Dutch we say; the wish is the father of the thought. 

Apparently you need 80% of the population to get infected over a period of time to get herd immunity

You better hope these figures are BS (and hundreds of thousands have been infected) otherwise armageddon is coming 

Yes indeed, good news.  And to celebrate, they’ve gone back to crushing the USD—just like they’ve done for the last three years.  Disclaimer: I have no idea who’s crushing the USD today—but they did a bang-up job.

3 hours ago, offset said:

I think I see over 140000 as of day 17 but my Thai not that good

It jumped from 20,000 to more than 70,000 in a day around the time when a story surfaced about a PR firm being hired to make the government look good and the same firm were caught lying about testing numbers according to an article in the Thai Enquirer.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, offset said:

What makes you say that, there are 9 provinces with no reported cases why do we not hear from anybody from these provinces saying one of their families have had the vires, also up to yesterday 35 provinces have not had 1 reported case in over 14 days. I live in 1 of these provinces and my wife works in a restaurant doing take away food and she as not heard of anybody that knows somebody with the virus and she does ask people and Thai gossip is much quicker than any government news

Wasn't it early in this crisis that there was a news story (blasted repeatedly on Thai news for a few days) of a Thai guy who returned to Thailand via the main airport who was quickly arrested for posting on social media that he didn't think the health screening was happening the way the official government narrative wanted us to believe? Wonder if a lot of Thai people might have seen that?

8 minutes ago, Yadon Toploy said:

It jumped from 20,000 to more than 70,000 in a day around the time when a story surfaced about a PR firm being hired to make the government look good and the same firm were caught lying about testing numbers according to an article in the Thai Enquirer.

Now quoting 142589 on https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ which was about what I see on the TV

23 minutes ago, Canuck1966 said:

If Somchai dies of a lung infection or pneumonia in Nakhon Nowhere and the doctor says that is the cause of death, who on earth is going to question it on FB?

Prey tell me!

When a Thai cepleblity posted he had Chinese Flu, the gestapo were round his house in seconds

Ooh the deaths are not correct, but the problem with covid-19 is the pressure it puts on healthcare. If the spread is linear, it's not going to put a strain on healthcare, thus not a big enough problem to kill your economy for. 

• Like 1

The Government has also came out and said they were testing 3-4000 people per day since the start to get those numbers.

I find that hard to believe and it contradicts various other reports saying testing numbers were a lot lower.

Then we have to ask where did all these test kits come from, where/how are they being tested etc...

Problem is there is next to no investigative journalism here and the authorities can make it up as they go along, which they often do. 

Who hired the PR firm and why, and are they involved in official press releases and in what capacity?

Big, unexplained jumps in testing numbers after there were questions about their testing methodology does not fill me with confidence.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Way too soon. For now, saving lives has to precede saving the economy. 

I agree with your sentiment, however like all things its not that simple. It really is a balancing act. You cannot afford to let the economy stall for too long or you go into recession, which can be difficult to get out of.

Right now most thing are closed. except supermarkets, 7/11s, takeaway from restaurants etc. This means all the folks that work in shopping malls, factories, restaurants, estate agents etc are not working. So people are not being paid, so what they can buy has dropped a lot.

Money makes the world go round as they say and its true. If you have little money you can buy little, so farmers, egg producers, meat producers are facing a tough time. The longer it goes on the more difficult to reverse the trend! Im not mentioning exports which forms a large part of the GDP, but its the same there!

1 hour ago, Eibot said:

No, you need an RNaught that is lower than one for the virus to die off. Isolation, heat/humidity and high UV seem to do this. 

Among others, yes, those are effective measures and pieces of luck, there are more:

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-the-hammer-and-the-dance-be9337092b56

1*h85AvGzHB7lk3v2wg8Sxlg.png

But to effectively bring R0 down, you need a feedback loop to verify. If you are not testing, it's just potshots into the dark. 

Edited by DrTuner
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Yadon Toploy said:

The Government has also came out and said they were testing 3-4000 people per day since the start to get those numbers.

And PUI count only goes up less than 1-2k per day. Exactly who are they supposedly testing?

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ukrules said:

Singapore had the situation under control for a while until all those migrant workers who stay in very cramped dorms started to get it, then it spread like wildfire. 100's of people packed in like sardines 10 to a room sleeping on bunkbeds.

Do we have any cramped dorm like conditions in Thailand?

I'm sure the government are all over this issue now they've seen what can happen in Singapore.

Construction work camps is what I'm referring to here.

Prisons!