Thailand extends alcohol ban, health ministry says some measures could be eased

snoop1130

48 minutes ago, Sumarianson said:

We all meet up in one place now, the supermarket! It has not made the virus worse and Sweden have taken no such measures and their peak is flattening in line with or better than most countries.

A fallacy to say that Sweden is doing better than other countries. Their death rate per million is only slightly better than the UK, and their death and transmission rate have not really fallen yet. There may be factors which have slowed the development of the epidemic, such as fewer multi-generational households. In Scandinavia, they are easily the worst - they have 2.5 x more deaths than the other 3 countries combined. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mikeasq60 said:

When can I fly into Thaland again so I can visit my wife?

I feel you, same here....

Hopefully after 1 month our great PM will announce the number of COVID is "under controlled" again. Since Thailand can't afford to stop all economy activities for that long.

• Confused 1

Not sure where you folks come from but here in Hua Hin I just text my favorite masseuse and make an appointment for a massage and haircut at home. Don't you have phones ? They are glad to have the business and if they don't have a motorbike I just go get them and bring them back . Radical concept ...

4 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

Real football supporters know that Liverpool are the deserving champions. And i am a SAINTS supporter, good luck and well done to them. p.s. now that the transferred players are all settled down, can we have out Tea Lady back, because you took everything else.

This is a serious discussion on Covid . If you pommy <deleted> want to talk about a poofy ball game

go on the right thread. talk about leading the ignorant by the nose.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I'm not punishing people in Bangkok, yes it is the largest province, yes it has the largest population and yes it accumulated the highest infection rate, thus it must be treated accordingly.

If you open up Bangkok along with other provinces in a like-minded way the infection rate will climb again in a second wave, as other countries have found out.

There can be a national policy to re-start businesses as infection rates allow, but these must be carried out on a case by case basis and not on sheer numbers. 

When infection numbers in Bangkok show it's safe, that is the only time to do it, not when it's zero 500 kilometers away in a different province.

I wasn't suggesting to open up Bangkok. I'd just like to grab a couple of bottles of Beer from 7 Eleven on my way home from work. Am I to be punished for that because I am in Bangkok? Is it safer for them to sell Beer in Roiet before Bangkok? The Alcohol ban and curfew are totally mostly ineffective against spreading the virus. Wearing a mask cannot hurt, only help. Social distancing is great. Most important thing to do is boost your immune system to fight the virus off when you do eventually get it.

Edited by Toshiba66
Add

Gotta open up alchohol sales by the 5th as It's Cinco de Mayo ....la cucaracha ,la cucaracha,  dadadada da..

I also get my booze with a text to another "supplier" and delivered in short order. This place is great !

• Like 1

4 hours ago, flinc2020 said:

I love that they have said the alcohol ban will end on April 30th. Really!?!? So you're telling us that you won't (probably on the 29th of April) decide that people might have parties to celebrate Labour Day on the 1st May? Then there's Coronation Day on the 4th, Visakha Bucha on the 6th and the Royal Ploughing ceremony on the 13th. I seriously can't see the alcohol ban ending soon. Not enough of the heirarchy have controlling interests in the liqour business.

Not the 29th. 30th is included in the ban.

So possibly on May 1st....according to my local,  English speaking, 7/11 owner.

• Haha 1

I don't think this is going to work. I forget the names of the families that own the breweries and distilleries, but they are among the richest families in Thailand, and they aren't going to stand for this. Politics have been terribly boring since the last coup. Maybe they'll get interesting again. Not that I disapprove of discouraging gatherings, it's a really good thing until a vaccine is found, but people are not going to cooperate. We tried this in the United States back in 1919, shut all the saloons and night clubs, and ended up with speakeasies and bootlegging instead. This is going to be a terrific money-making opportunity for the cops.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Greg O said:

Gotta open up alchohol sales by the 5th as It's Cinco de Mayo ....la cucaracha ,la cucaracha,  dadadada da..

I also get my booze with a text to another "supplier" and delivered in short order. This place is great !

Me too mate , Grab delivery ,  brilliant .

I so late , i so late,   grab driver only ten minutes late  , no prob ...

This is the new norm , stay safe,  long time ..

Thx , Kindle , and tvf ...

Edited by elliss

5 hours ago, overt2016 said:

When you find it don't tell anyone. Then you can enjoy yourself by yourself.

Correct  expat , is your biggest enemy .

Nuff said...

Edited by elliss

I dont drink so this does not really bother me, but the economy of Thailand will be taking a substantial beating from this, people can buy beer I'd of thought and stay home with a few beers and a movie or something - the assumption is everyone who drinks hits bars and is always on the megapi**up - oh well talk about shooting yourself in the foot again... but yup probably lots of lives saved on the roads as a plus.  Hospitals full of Alki's having major withdrawls probably which can in most cases be fatal.

Even from Texas, where I'm weathering the storm I felt the disturbance in the force...

Fired up TVF to find that, as usual, it coincided with some disruption in alcohol intake.  Thousands infected, many dying, millions unemployed and hungry, and what really gets the collective expat blood boiling?  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, impulse said:

Fired up TVF to find that, as usual, it coincided with some disruption in alcohol intake.  Thousands infected, many dying, millions unemployed and hungry, and what really gets the collective expat blood boiling?  

Yo, impulse, if you squint from the top of your high horse you might see that the topic of the OP is "Thailand extends alcohol ban ...". But, hey, if sanctimony feels good you go ahead and do it, whatever keeps each one of us sane through these times.

Edited by Why Me
  • Like 2

Don’t some folk just love .gov and their freakish control nature by wielding the authoritarian stick !!

Just imaging a world of individuals ethical, moral and disciplined in self responsibility just not doing what the BS of the masters voice tells them what and what not to do ????

2 hours ago, impulse said:

Even from Texas, where I'm weathering the storm I felt the disturbance in the force...

[and what really gets the collective expat blood boiling?]

Someone being a sanctimonious old tool !!!! 

Now chill out and recognise that there is nothing wrong with being able to enjoy a beer with your dinner while in lockdown and the kneecapping of common sense with some sanctimonious moral high ground mixed in with the stench of schadenfreude is unbecoming. 

5 hours ago, Felt 35 said:

That's good and hope they tighten sale of alcohol forever which again will reduce crime and the annual traffic fatalities. 

Perhaps the ‘decision making powers’ should ban the sale of Cake, Cheese, fried food, pizza, pastries, cookies, cakes.....    

The simplistic mindset of approach to these issues i.e. 'stop everyone because some ruin it’ is not a viable solution outside of a totalitarian dictatorship.

Effective policing is key (especially when it comes to DUI) however, as always, the elephant in the room is not just ignored, but it's wined , dined and then given oral....