About 9,000 Thais set to return next month

webfact

About 9,000 Thais set to return next month

By The Nation

800_eb37f78e43b8e10.jpg

FILE PHOTO

The Foreign Ministry says around 8,998 Thais overseas have lodged requests to return to Thailand after April 30, with more set to follow as the virus pandemic around the world worsens. The large flow of Thai migrants returning home will have to be regulated, said Taweesin Visanuyothin, spokesman of the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration on Monday (April 20).

Thai citizens in 14 countries have registered to return, with the highest number of requests coming from the United States at 1,950, followed by Australia (786), New Zealand (600+), India (600+), Myanmar (600+), Cambodia (500+), Indonesia (500+), South Korea (400+), United Arab Emirates (335), Philippines (331), Saudi Arabia (290), Japan (280), Maldives (160), and Sri Lanka (40).

Meanwhile, the Interior Ministry reports that it still has space to accommodate more than 18,000 people at state quarantine facilities around the country. A total of 2,339 people are currently being housed at the 796 facilities nationwide.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30386428

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-21

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

Does it look like they will be letting tourists in any time soon? Based on the above, I really don't think so.

Talking about tourism in this period of world crisis seems to me somewhat out of place.
Where are the planes?
at the parking lot
Where is the currency?
not in their pocket

Thailand can re-open its borders, the other countries will not open theirs;
what's the point  ?

4 hours ago, ukrules said:

Does it look like they will be letting tourists in any time soon? Based on the above, I really don't think so.

While I agree in principle let's not forget where we are, "Does it look like they SHOULD be letting tourists in any time soon" I think is more to the point...!!!

1 hour ago, Geoffggi said:

While I agree in principle let's not forget where we are, "Does it look like they SHOULD be letting tourists in any time soon" I think is more to the point...!!!

The problem is, they include foreigners with Thai family as tourists unless you are on an 1yr extension of stay or work permit.

Sometimes I use visa exempt to come back in if my stay will be a month or less, other times I'm on a Non O multi...

They SHOULD be letting family members back in asap.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ukrules said:

Another article today talked about letting Chinese in, mentioning the August high season – it seems like a question of the relative word "soon" – Czech republic however stated in a news article yesterday that they will keep borders closed for a year, and not let people out on vacation; the Czech were the first to close borders in Europe, but followed by numerous others within a couple of weeks. Perhaps some countries, "anytime soon", even won't let their citizens out as tourists...????

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

Talking about tourism in this period of world crisis seems to me somewhat out of place.
Where are the planes?
at the parking lot
Where is the currency?
not in their pocket

Thailand can re-open its borders, the other countries will not open theirs;
what's the point  ?

I bet China will