RIP Pattaya

Silent Tiger

6 minutes ago, BigStar said:

The beer bars along Beach Rd., including those at Soi 8, mostly survived except those displaced by CentralFestival. Not many were displaced then, but a number bitterly exaggerated into myth by TVF Bar Scene Analysts. Some of those moved to 2nd Rd., and those displaced on the mall side moved across the street as part of the vast expansion. All things are relative, but I'd say at the end we had 2 - 3 times more beer bars than before. Many of those excess bars, such as near the Grand Sole, closed some time ago, and that area of the street now awaits . . . something, hopefully another shopping mall. (Just thought I'd throw that in to p**s off our mall haters. ????) A large area formerly occupied by bars on Naklua Rd has been redeveloped, partly owing to the T21 impetus.

Pattaya's always been "changing." Naklua once had a go-go bar and so did the Best Friend complex, at the back. Not many remember those.

The "newer" bar scene on and around Soi Buakhao remains pretty strong, however--the location near the fleabag hotels is so convenient--and the impact of that scene on Sois 7 and 8, and on Walking Street, needs to be recognized. If our mongers, who like so many rely exclusively on their Eyeballs, see 5000 customers spread out over 3000 beer bars, Pattaya's DEAD. If they see the same 5000 spread out over 500 beer bars, then Pattaya's hoppin'.

So, though sanity is being restored in the market, we still have far to go to 1995, so closings are just part of the return to the downsized Golden Era some remember with such nostalgia. ????

I referred to the section of Beach Rd. that later became Walking Street, of course.

Since at least the late 90s there has always been too many barbeers for the number of customers, as attested by the recently removed complex behind Made in Thailand market that failed from the get go.

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Tried it but didn't like it. I prefer sitting a bit further away from the dancers. Superbaby was my choice of gogo. Best looking girls. Shame when it closed.

I was once sat by the steps and goosed a girl  as she climbed onto the stage, and she turned and whacked the poor Korean guy on the other side of the steps hard round the head...... darned princess! 

1 hour ago, pineapple01 said:

Why do kids today allways bicker with us Crumblies that lived it and now wish we still could.

'cause kids always think they know everything. Just haven't lived long enough to know that they know <deleted>.

They probably think the modern world is better than back in the day, 5555555.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I was once sat by the steps and goosed a girl  as she climbed onto the stage, and she turned and whacked the poor Korean guy on the other side of the steps hard round the head...... darned princess! 

LOL. I was in Playskool in Nana sitting beside the dance platform. A dancer sitting next to me goosed one of the dancers and she ( unsurprisingly ) thought it was me. Aimed a kick at me but hit my glass and broke it. I don't know who paid for the drink, but it wasn't me.

Ever since I haven't liked to sit beside the dance platform- way too dangerous.

Damn, I miss Nana in those days when it was really good. It's never recovered from Purachai, may he rot in the hot place.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Damn, I miss Nana in those days when it was really good. It's never recovered from Purachai, may he rot in the hot place.

Used to have a bit of fun years back in Nana doing similar and then looking away or pointing at a guy a few places away. Seemed they were more fun loving and tolerant back then, or maybe my young good-looks made it tolerable... Now I look more like Hellboy they are more anti!

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Used to have a bit of fun years back in Nana doing similar and then looking away or pointing at a guy a few places away. Seemed they were more fun loving and tolerant back then, or maybe my young good-looks made it tolerable... Now I look more like Hellboy they are more anti!

Indeed. Us old timers probably have hundreds of stories from the day, but not able to post on here.

Plenty of books about the good days though.

The MeeToo sheilas would have fits if they knew.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/22/2020 at 5:36 PM, Pilotman said:

No, first came to BKK (now DMK), to collect an aircraft that had gone tech there some days before.  Went on visiting the country, but didn't make it to Pattaya until around 1992 and that for a long weekend with my wife.    

you are a very holy and perfect man - congratulations

• Confused 1

38 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. I was in Playskool in Nana sitting beside the dance platform. A dancer sitting next to me goosed one of the dancers and she ( unsurprisingly ) thought it was me. Aimed a kick at me but hit my glass and broke it. I don't know who paid for the drink, but it wasn't me.

Playskool had a very listenable music selection then. In Nana, only Sexy Night still does, far as I know, but then there's the visuals. ???? My biggest objection to present-day go gos is the "music" that must be endured at excessive volume.

Since we must reminisce, I took out a particular dancer from Playskook a few times, exceptional well-mannered lady who claimed, believably, she'd last worked as a salesgirl at Emporium.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Tried it but didn't like it. I prefer sitting a bit further away from the dancers. Superbaby was my choice of gogo. Best looking girls. Shame when it closed.

We were the Early Birds,It was too packed later on.

20 hours ago, Don Mega said:

You should rent out that crystal ball.

No crystal ball needed.  

Historic, as well as current, economic data, as well as present observations, and knowledge of Thai corruption and culture, is all you need.  

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

Yawn. Is anybody being fooled by this constant repetition of the Just In Case fallacy? Got anything else?

Well, the positive thing is people can now take their dog to be groomed, and their would be helping the Pattaya economy a lot if they did.  ????

17 hours ago, kingdong said:

how long ago are you talking?I used to use it over the years,a few years ago it was turned into a scooter bar,haven,t been in there since Chris Henderson ( rip) died,

It was a long time ago.  

From memory, it was not long after the bar was refurbished.   Any idea what year that would have been?

I actually thought they didn't do a bad job on the refurb.   

5 hours ago, pineapple01 said:

Could have been anybody sitting there doing that, Hicy was around when i was living in Pats. bit of a Wimp on his own i recall. Some Inter City Firm Boys barged in and walked of with the Till one Night. No Fight, they just put it down outside. A bet no doubt that fell flat. Headhunters just put it back.  

Come to think of it, you are probably right.  I just assumed by his behavior he must have been the owner, because if he was a customer, you couldn't have that in your bar.

The guy was short, stocky build, bald, and either very drunk, high on drugs, or both.  The owner of the bar I was in didn't say he was the owner of the DB bar, so you are probably right.  

4 hours ago, smedly said:

ha ha, sounds like someone I know - blames everyone but himself as to why he has no customers - the only positive in his favour is he only spends 2 months a year here and during that time still manages to have fights with whatever little customers have built up during his absence - I actually think there's a screw loose in his head 

As I said in the other posts.  It was not long after the bar was refurbished.  Would that be, maybe, 8 or 9 years ago?  The guy was short, stocky build, bald head, in his 40's.

Edited by Leaver

35 minutes ago, Leaver said:

No crystal ball needed.  

Historic, as well as current, economic data, as well as present observations, and knowledge of Thai corruption and culture, is all you need.  

so what you post on here is based on buffalo excrement then.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

Well, the positive thing is people can now take their dog to be groomed, and their would be helping the Pattaya economy a lot if they did.  ????

How is that in the least funny? Their they.

41 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

so what you post on here is based on buffalo excrement then.

If Pattaya's tourism industry was on the SET, would you buy shares in it.  No, I didn't think so.  

5 minutes ago, Leaver said:

If Pattaya's tourism industry was on the SET, would you buy shares in it.  No, I didn't think so.  

covid-19 or not Pattaya's "tourism" industry is rotten to the core, only a moron with deep pockets would gamble on it.

6 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

covid-19 or not Pattaya's "tourism" industry is rotten to the core, only a moron with deep pockets would gamble on it.

What crystal ball are you looking through?  ????

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

It was a long time ago.  

From memory, it was not long after the bar was refurbished.   Any idea what year that would have been?

I actually thought they didn't do a bad job on the refurb.   

mid95

9 hours ago, pineapple01 said:

Thats what i said, new when Woody owned it. Why do kids today allways bicker with us Crumblies that lived it and now wish we still could. Is Woody still around.?.

Last I knew in February Woody and Bob still own it.  BTW what is a Crumblie?

6 hours ago, Don Mega said:

obviously not yours !!

Or are you one of those morons ?

What morons? 

You mean the ones that criticize those making an economic prediction, and then go on to make an economic prediction themselves?  ????

6 hours ago, Don Mega said:

I disagree. Pattaya still is the nearest big sea-side city from Bangkok,

and Thai tourists will quickly come back to Pattaya.

Often ignored on this forum, they are a big part of Pattaya tourism on weekends.

Just have a look on the car park of Central or Terminal 21, or in luxury condos.

No doubt they will help Pattaya tourism to restart, maybe even for a better tourism.

Edited by Pattaya46
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, jimmybcool said:

Last I knew in February Woody and Bob still own it.  BTW what is a Crumblie?

Yes they still do, but unfortunately both have health problems, and also the Patpong lease is nearing the end, so what the future holds.. who knows. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Pattaya still is the nearest big sea-side city from Bangkok,

True, but look at the quality of "the sea."

17 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

they are a big part of Pattaya tourism on weekends.

True, but how much do they spend?  

Do you see them paying top price in nice establishments here?

18 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Just have a look on the car park of Central or Terminal 21,

Car park full, while they go to the local markets, not the malls.  ????

19 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

No doubt they will help Pattaya tourism to restart,

I doubt it.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1