Best Coffee in Thailand?

WineOh

If you're regularly drinking any instant coffee...you are not a coffee drinker! All instant coffees SUCK. For fine coffees at very reasonable prices...both ground and beans...BonCafe. The Morning Powder and Mocca blends are my faves. Try it...you will cream your coffee! :vampire: :coffee1:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

If you're regularly drinking any instant coffee...you are not a coffee drinker! All instant coffees SUCK. For fine coffees at very reasonable prices...both ground and beans...BonCafe. The Morning Powder and Mocca blends are my faves. Try it...you will cream your coffee! :vampire: :coffee1:

I am utterly surprised that you bash all those instant offee drinkers and then claim that you are on Bon Cafe. LOL. ????????????That's one of the shi.test coffee beans.LOL again.

There are hundreds of nice robusta and arabica coffees all over Thailand. Bon Cafe? Definitely the bottom of the list.

And as for instant coffee? I am a real fresh coffee lover and I have to tell you that the Nescafe red cup that is made for Thai market is indeed tasty. Of course it won't match a good fresh coffe but it is nice.

You are biased or delusional.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

For a French press method or Vietnamese phin method, what do you reckon is the optimum temperature for the best results.

The guys i saw at some competition, they were using water from 90 to 93 Celsius degrees, but i have no direct experience with French press or the Vietnamese phin.

On 4/22/2020 at 10:51 PM, frantick said:

I agree on the taste, but the portion is small. At least when I tried it; small cup barely over half full. I'm used to drinking about 20 to 24oz every morning.

Me too. If I'm drinking at 7 I'm already out of options so just order two. First black second with a bit of milk and sugar.

I always have a cup before I leave home. Always.

On 4/22/2020 at 3:48 AM, Liverpoolfan said:

I always end up on the nestle instant c**p.

I'm bored of it now.

I dont currently own a coffee machine, however that may soon change.

You don't need to buy a coffee machine: you might end up never using it, especially if you live alone. Personally, although I do have special coffee pots at home, I made my choice to stick to the much quicker instant coffee since years. The secret is finding a not overpriced good one. Overall, these products are much overpriced in the market, especially those manufactured locally or in neighbouring countries. Living in Thailand for over 10 years, after several attempts, I think I identified the best value-for-money instant coffee product in the Tschibo "Gold" or "Family" types, on conditions you purchase them at the price shown in my photos:

- First photo taken at Gourmet Market yesterday, but I already saw the same identical offer also at Foodland: 150 g "Gold" type in two sealed bags for 105 B (100 g = 70 B)

- Second photo taken at Big C last year, 200 g "Family" type in glass jar for 149 B (100 g = 74.5 B)

- Third photo taken at Tesco Lotus last year: 400 g "Family" type in glass jars for 297 B (100 g = 74.25 B)

Should you find in the market anything less expensive than that, which I doubt, that means it is probably a poor quality product. Tschibo is made in Germany and I personally find it to be excellent, provided you learn to measure it out correctly in your cup. I already tasted both the "Gold" and the "Family" type and I find them to be almost identical. The "Family" type shows a slightly higher degree of intensity on the label. I already tasted also a more expensive type from the same Tschibo family, but to me it wasn't any better than these two. Small sealed bags allow keeping the product fresh and tasty for a longer time as compared to a rather large jar. Recommended.

gold_a.jpg

family_a.jpg

family_b.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I am far from a coffee expert but see all these different brands all grown and roasted in Chiang Mai all at different prices.

Are there any difference between any of them?

Currently waiting for 500g of medium Cafe R'onn beans to arrive.

Previously have used a cheaper brand.

Will I notice the difference?

On 4/23/2020 at 8:57 PM, garrya said:

and then claim that you are on Bon Cafe. LOL. ????????????That's one of the shi.test coffee beans.LOL again.

An old friend of mine, Vlad Golar (RIP) was the owner of Mocador Coffeee in Thailand/ Pattaya. I was with him when he went to a certain restaurant to entice them to change to Mocador. The owner asked 'Is it cheaper than Bon?' Vlad's reply 'There is NO COFFEE cheaper than Bon' !!!!     PML

57 minutes ago, Malawi said:

I am far from a coffee expert but see all these different brands all grown and roasted in Chiang Mai all at different prices.

Are there any difference between any of them?

Currently waiting for 500g of medium Cafe R'onn beans to arrive.

Previously have used a cheaper brand.

Will I notice the difference?

You will notice a difference most likely, doesn't mean you'll like it or it will be worth the money, personal taste and how you make the coffee

• Like 1

Been using a Moka Pot for the last three weeks with a good selection of different beans. It has been a life changing experience for me personally for drinking coffee. I was going to buy a proper machine but decided to dip my curiosity first with a Moka Pot. Makes a big difference to the daily cuppa. If you use poor beans, the taste is terrible. Just accentuates the fact they are bad beans. Using good beans with a grinder brings out the best.

Very happy with the Moka Pot. Something everyone should try. I have been using Espressomans beans as well as Siam Roastery espresso beans. Tried some Doi Chaang as well. All very nice. Tried some Hillkoff French beans and did not enjoy.

On 4/23/2020 at 3:01 PM, pineapple01 said:

There are no Starbucks in Italy anymore and not many in Australia

Starbucks in Australia is very much aimed at imports from s/e asia and china and their stores are almost all operating in precincts where these people live. Locals wouldn't be caught dead in Starbucks and yes they closed down the majority of their stores in Australia. We see starbucks on the same level as mcdonalds coffee and you would be embarrassed to be walking around with a starbucks takeaway cup or merchandise in Sydney that's for sure and certain.

If you want proper coffee head over to Kaizen in Ekkamai. The guys working there worked in cafes in Australia and the coffee there is top shelf. You are paying close to starbucks thailand prices but it's very much worth it. The food there is also great.

Edited by PaulieAUS

Big C Extra is selling G7 buy 1 get 1 free at 65 baht 15 sachets (Total 60g). Nice but I needed 2 sachets, 1 not strong enough.

It's similar to Buddy Dean Extra Blend which is 90 baht for 200g. I'll stick to Buddy Dean

IMG_20200603_144533805_1.jpg

Edited by scubascuba3

I've just been to Ristretto in Chiang Mai. They served the worst espresso I've had in a long time. Sour and undrinkable. 

I have no idea how Ristretto is ranked so highly on tripadvisor. The coffee is terrible.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Logosone said:

I've just been to Ristretto in Chiang Mai. They served the worst espresso I've had in a long time. Sour and undrinkable. 

I have no idea how Ristretto is ranked so highly on tripadvisor. The coffee is terrible.

I have been two or three times and the coffee is not good and expensive for what you get. I love my coffee and will pay extra for something good but it is not worth it. I use to go to a Mom and Pop store in Santiham that had a coffee shop tacked on the end to it. The coffee brewed from that shop kicked ass as was only 40 baht a cup. It has since closed down. Another shop that I liked but have not been for a long time was Phuphiang Coffee. It use to have a basic breakfast and the coffee was okay. I used to go a lot to Ma-Chill Coffee but the prices are expensive now. In my village we have a coffee shop called Grow Coffee and it is as good as anything in the city for 40 baht.

• 2 months later...
On 6/3/2020 at 2:50 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Big C Extra is selling G7 buy 1 get 1 free at 65 baht 15 sachets (Total 60g). Nice but I needed 2 sachets, 1 not strong enough.

It's similar to Buddy Dean Extra Blend which is 90 baht for 200g. I'll stick to Buddy Dean

IMG_20200603_144533805_1.jpg

Buddy Dean Extra Turbo Rocks!

On 4/22/2020 at 12:34 PM, JTXR said:

After moving to Thailand and searching high and low and trying a bunch of brands, I settled on Bon Café's Café Créma.  A couple of their coffees I think taste awful, but the Café Créma (100% Arabica and available in bean or ground form) hits the spot.  Also less expensive than some "premium" coffees you can find in Bangkok. You can order online or find in some supermarkets.

I use a filter cone to make it.

I'm also of fan of their Cafe Crema...and agree that some of their blends are real rock-gut coffee. I also like the Suzuki Espresso blend but it is on the strong side and only comes in a very fine espresso machine grind (but I use it anyway in my manual drip coffee cone).

On 4/22/2020 at 12:49 PM, beau thai said:

Tried many many different coffees here in pursuit of rich flavours but low acidity.

Found it at last!

Nam Phu Arabica Organic. Has a website but I buy though Lazada. 150bht/250gms. I prefer their dark roast. The owner is very helpful and they ship on day of order, freshly roasted, free shipping.

Works for me.

Just checked them out...i like how they say their website is open 24 hours a day ????????????

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...

I am a coffee fanatic; a true connoisseur LOL.  Seriously, I was majorly bummed when I first moved to Thailand and could find no source of good coffee.  Lots of overpriced so-called "premium" brands in good stores, but they all basically sucked!  Then I found out about a place called HILLKOFF COFFEE.  They are based in Chiang Mai, but sell on Lazada so no matter where you live in Thailand, you can have it delivered to your front door!

The coffees they sell (both ground and whole bean) are absolutely 1st rate, and quite inexpensive (around 230 THB for a 500 gram bag).  I LOVE the Black Thai version but they have many varieties.  A close second and third for me is French, and Italian.  All are rich, full bodies, and the Black Thai beans particularly are very oily (which I love) and have an amazing aroma right out of the bag which remains the same after you brew it ????

2051207089_snapshot_2020-12-25at12_16_45PM.jpg.b95726670b8439a0a7e781b0060af6dc.jpg

2065447849_snapshot_2020-12-25at12_29_01PM.jpg.319bab90c18215c34b49a388db726d07.jpg

If you wish to visit the store in Chiang Mai, here is the Google map link:  https://goo.gl/maps/dLF3UBgJJaMe3CMTA.  Note:  They used to be located across from the Mercedes dealership but are no longer there...so use the map link I included.  It's worth a visit to the store just to see all the coffee making paraphernalia they sell there...pretty amazing actually. ????

Or...easiest way to order is right off Lazada since they sell all of their varieties there for delivery anywhere in Thailand.

Edited by WaveHunter