Best Coffee in Thailand?

WineOh

1 hour ago, Fairynuff said:

When I go to a coffee shop it’s for GOOD coffee, everything else of little importance. I have never had anything that even resembles good coffee in a Starbucks, so to pay a stupid price for something that to me is undrinkable..... oh and then there’s the fact they avoid paying any tax....but that’s another story.

Nonsense, the espresso macchiato is perfectly drinkable. Not bad at all.

I use Vietnamese drip filter, if you don't mind some coffee grains at the bottom. 

A good filter funnel (no plastic) for drip coffee is doing well, too. 

Experiment with coffee beans, now there are a lot of micro roasters in Thailand that sell Thai or abroad coffee beans. 

A grinder is good, but small batches of ground coffee can be kept in airtight container for a while.

Once you tried medium or light roasted coffee you'll never go back to the commercial standard coffee. Too bitter and little aroma.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, frantick said:

I agree on the taste, but the portion is small. At least when I tried it; small cup barely over half full. I'm used to drinking about 20 to 24oz every morning.

Yes they struggle with the size plus add cold milk to coffee as standard, no training they just press a button

1 hour ago, cornishcarlos said:

This is the machine I use... Nowhere near commercial grade but very adequate for a small restaurant (which we have) or home use.

I got it on sale in U.K and brought it back with me, cost equivalent of 11,000 baht.. In Thailand about 30,000+ !! 

IMG_20200423_072317[1].jpg

You are right, the 30% customs duty fee is a terrible fact to deal with.

15 hours ago, jirathama said:

onko.jpg.cd99ce2b136215251185755bb23592fb.jpg i have one of these Coffee grinders, from the 60s, but i havent used it, just braught it over here. Do you think, I can get some good grounded coffee by using it? I never used a grinder before. Actually i liked it as display, but then..mecanically it works ????

I have to be old. I remember that I used probably exactly the same one to grind coffee in my mother's kitchen.

• Like 1

So Right CC. In Macro Coffee Shop waiting for Old Scratcher to end Her 2 Hour Wander. i glanced at the Showcase with those in, one about same as Pic. Ill get 2 of those before i leave reckoning 18/20k,but not the 80 K they wanted for 2.... So i sit here with me Awfull Gold Blend under Curfew, like many of us just posting to pass the time. 

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Is it really so bad?

Most of the time I avoid starbugs. But if I have an early morning flight then it's one of the few options. Not the best coffee I ever had but definitely acceptable and drinkable.

Drinkable until you get whacked from behind by a 6 Ft Bearded unwashed Oaf with a Backpack.

• Haha 1

On 4/22/2020 at 9:15 AM, Logosone said:

After much trial and error I have found that the best coffee in Thailand is Cafe Ronn, dark roast.

Would you please indicate where this coffee can be purchased, and whether it is pre-ground (if so, grind type) or can be ground to order? Thanks.

13 hours ago, drtreelove said:

Available at the Lotus/Tesco where we shop in Samut Prakan. 

Oh how wickedly you toyed with my feelings.

I was in Lotus/Tesco in CM, my hopes all unleashed in fiery passion.

No Mandailing Estate coffee.

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Is it really so bad?

Most of the time I avoid starbugs. But if I have an early morning flight then it's one of the few options. Not the best coffee I ever had but definitely acceptable and drinkable.

Of course it's not.

Starbucks gets a lot of hate because it is very expensive, it's true.

But you get top quality machines, people trained properly and good quality, no the best, but acceptable quality beans.

Their espresso is very consistent and better than at most coffee shops in Chiang Mai. If you want a good espresso, Starbucks is a reliable option.

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Is it really so bad?

IMO yes it really is that bad. Being totally honest I’d go without rather than drink their stuff. 

1 hour ago, Ozziepat said:

Would you please indicate where this coffee can be purchased, and whether it is pre-ground (if so, grind type) or can be ground to order? Thanks.

With great pleasure.

Cafe Ronn is really very good, if you opt for the Dark Roast, their Black Saphire version is not on the same level.

I always get it at the best French patisserie and bakery in Thailand, L'Opera in Chiang Mai. You can buy it there or you can contact Miss Onn, the owner who will send it to you or tell you where else you can get it, using the details here:

https://caferonn.com/

They do both beans and ground but since I would never ever buy ground because there is a world of difference between freshly ground and pre-ground coffee I can't comment on the ground variety.

My comments only relate to their beans, and Dark Roast in particular, Black Saphire is not on the same level.

3 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

This is the machine I use... Nowhere near commercial grade but very adequate for a small restaurant (which we have) or home use.

I got it on sale in U.K and brought it back with me, cost equivalent of 11,000 baht.. In Thailand about 30,000+ !! 

IMG_20200423_072317[1].jpg

That, sadly , is the machine I had to leave behind in the UK when I moved over here. Using a Minimex ES here, without any milk attachments as I drink only black coffee. The wife can add her milk herself. It is a wee bit temperamental with type of bean, dislikes the very dark roasted type.

2 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Of course it's not.

Starbucks gets a lot of hate because it is very expensive, it's true.

But you get top quality machines, people trained properly and good quality, no the best, but acceptable quality beans.

Their espresso is very consistent and better than at most coffee shops in Chiang Mai. If you want a good espresso, Starbucks is a reliable option.

Its also fun to People Watch. Like Mr Self important with the Worlds Biggest Laptop getting his Cheesecake all over it on the tiny table. The Online Visa Dodger posting You Tube Vids at he same table he uses every bloody day, buying only the cheapest thing on the menu. The Mommies Boy BMW Driver doing a funny Dance after Security say he cant park outside the Door and spoiling his Grand Entrance.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, pineapple01 said:

Its also fun to People Watch. Like Mr Self important with the Worlds Biggest Laptop getting his Cheesecake all over it on the tiny table. The Online Visa Dodger posting You Tube Vids at he same table he uses every bloody day, buying only the cheapest thing on the menu. The Mommies Boy BMW Driver doing a funny Dance after Security say he cant park outside the Door and spoiling his Grand Entrance.  

And if you're lucky the delightful giggling student chatting with her attractive friends.

I actually like the sprawling comfortable seating and I gotta be honest, the fact that they maintain the tradition of the free newspaper, a staple of coffee house culture in Europe, gets tops marks from me. 

It should be mandatory in every coffee shop, provide a free newspaper in English.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Even in Italy ??

No, in Italy I'd chat with the staff, Italians are fascinating and very entertaining.

In Thailand those coffee girls are just very polite if your'e lucky but they don't converse with you, because unfortunately learning English is very hard for them. 

It's quite common to get a free newspaper in Italy and Spain btw.

• Like 2